Single hooks for pike

chrislee342

So I'm looking to leave the trebles behind and move onto single hooks.

I like to use sprats on my local canal and am looking to have a single hook up through the throat latch and out top of the head.

Can anyone recommend a hook fit for purpose?

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

Go for it,i did last year and I will never use trebles again,if I remember right I started half way thru the winter and out of 20 runs I hooked 18 and all were hooked in the sissors,this has been done before and there is a lot of fors and againsts,I used a single size 4 or 6 carp hook and hair rigged the baits, even if I was using a whole herring,happy days

All,

I agree with Andy. Hoop nets are the only way to catch pike. Just put a sealed gallon glass jar of bait fish in the jar. Works a treat.

The technological "action" described for a circle hook is counter intuitive to the pike family. I'm willing to learn if someone wants to tell me how/why it is a "good" hook for pike.

Phone

Andy - where would you like them to be "caught" - in the lens of a camera? We are anglers not PETA, Yes, there will always be collateral damage - that's what we DO!

• Like 1

Didn't Leon Roskilly cause a similar rumpus a few years back when he started using circle hooks for Pike. I always thought doubles would be a good way to go with a small barbed fook to attach the dead (or live) bait and a single barbless hook for the hook up.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Phone ive no serious issue with what we do and i have hooked pike in scissors but thats just random luck. I wont use a method that seems to always find its way to scissors by design.

As for where id like to hook em it would be inside the mouth in a good solid bit of cartlidge as is the majority of where my trebles end up.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

You might like this setup, used for skate fishing but I would be very happy using it for pike. Leaves the hooks "floating" so 100% hook-ups. You would be mounting sprats or fillets of fish, and wouldn't need the lead loop, just the clip and bait stop.

http://youtu.be/Pr5iI0FMe4w

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic