Single hooks for pike

chrislee342

All,

this a the "coming" look of a spoon

single-hook-lure.jpg

Here is a "newer" Mepps selection

monthly-special-april-2014.jpg

Pretty much - the predator anglers who wish to recycle their fish are going single. As someone said, not every advantage is for the fish as they are much easier to work with.

Phone

Edited by Phone

"you lot can do what you want"

Mick Smith I don't know why you bother posting on here! Unless people agree with what you say you get the arse! Same as you've said mate you do what you feel happy with and what you think works for you. However if you don't want people who think your "advice" is bad commenting and adding what they feel is better advice/a different view for the benefit of others reading what you've wrote then I sugest you don't bother! Certainly no need for the attitude! When people on AN post something its usually as they are trying to help not criticise.

Yes the "Uni Rig" is a good rig Neil G admittedly I don't use it with livebaits but its a good rig for casting deads long range. Again though the single needs to be kept a sensible size and IMO the size 6-4 you mention is spot on.

I didn't know it was called the uni rig, I just kind of came up with it years back through trial and error and have used it ever since. IMO it's ever so slightly easier to deal with than two trebles when unhooking and I don't think the hook up rate suffers that much in comparison either.

Never really tried singles or circles but maybe this year could be the time to test some out.

I remember when i mentioned i used a single size 2 with the barb crushed 30 years ago for pike ,there was almost a riot in the tackle shop ,now singles are mandatory as theres cats in the pond ,how things change !

Not much good for extreme range unless you use bands but for sink and draw along the margins perfect ,you can ofcourse use two singles one to hook the bait in the dorsal and backbone and the other through the forhead or better still through the stem of the tail

I rethought my tactics one new years day sitting in the A&E waiting to have a clutch of trebles removed ,after being foolish from waking up from the floor after they were cut out

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

"you lot can do what you want"

Mick Smith I don't know why you bother posting on here! Unless people agree with what you say you get the arse! Same as you've said mate you do what you feel happy with and what you think works for you. However if you don't want people who think your "advice" is bad commenting and adding what they feel is better advice/a different view for the benefit of others reading what you've wrote then I sugest you don't bother! Certainly no need for the attitude! When people on AN post something its usually as they are trying to help not criticise.

Yes the "Uni Rig" is a good rig Neil G admittedly I don't use it with livebaits but its a good rig for casting deads long range. Again though the single needs to be kept a sensible size and IMO the size 6-4 you mention is spot on.

Yeah perhaps your right,I thought I was being helpful by saying use one single hook instead of 2 trebles,it deffinatly helps the pike anyway. IMO.Sometimes I say the wrong thing and lots of times I spell things wrong,i thought it didn't really matter,looks like I was wrong.Perhaps I wont post on here anymore,if I have to watch what I say everytime

Mick Smith Im just as guilty of taking things the wrong way as anyone else! its the biggest problem with online interaction. No "body language" or facial expression does lead to miss interpretation. If Ive offended you please note I only reacted like this because you came over so negative! and you most likely (in reflection) only did as you mistook my interest in what you was saying as criticism and my intention to help/share experience the same.

Been on here for many years and unlike FB or most other Internet Forums you have a bunch of very knowledgable guys who more importantly are quite happy to discuss things in a polite and civil manner.

May I sugest if someone disagrees with you try asking why? and be prepared to read what they say and try to understand. If you are still not sure what they are saying or even if you simply still don't agree then say so! BUT say why! Its how we ALL learn. Again it has to be remembered that for every single person actively posting/contributing to a topic there are often hundreds of "lurkers" just following. I may be blunt, I may be opinionated, I may be a bit controversial but Im always willing to help and always justify my opinions.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All,

this a the "coming" look of a spoon

single-hook-lure.jpg

Here is a "newer" Mepps selection

monthly-special-april-2014.jpg

Pretty much - the predator anglers who wish to recycle their fish are going single. As someone said, not every advantage is for the fish as they are much easier to work with.

Phone

Nothing new Im afraid Phone single hooks on spoons have been around a long time now. In a lot of the Canadian fisheries they have been compulsory for many decades. BUT scientific opinion is starting to change that as well (the deep penetration issue I mentioned) Also no good at all on a large plug and absolute nightmare on a big bait.

You might like this setup, been using it to hurl sprats 100yds+ from the beach. Hook is uncovered so EXCELLENT hooking,

http://youtu.be/Pr5iI0FMe4w

you won't be using leads and clips for piking though :) just use the wire mount and a bait stop.

Den

Edited by poledark
  • Like 1

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My reply to Phone ie "Nothing new" kind of rings true with all the talk of singles for Pike etc. People have been playing with them for most of my piking career (nearly 50 years) and writing about there use (often each time as if its a new discovery) Im a great believer in learning from past experience (both mine and others) I mention this as VERY few who have played with alternatives such as singles EVER continue using them. The few who do do so simply because it works for their style of fishing (in the case of singles for pike this is normally guys who use small sprat type deadbaits) One argument I can put forward without quoting scientific stuff, my research or even my personal experience is simply "If after all this time singles were better then why havnt they been adopted by pikers as the "standard"? And to me the answer is simple!