Single hooks for pike

chrislee342

Started using that rig early this year, for casting large baits, and it transformed my catch rate. With the hook/s uncovered the hook up was increased dramatically. Can't wait to try it out with sprats for the cod this winter.

Still getting out about 3 times a week, funny old world though, I have done more night fishing on the beaches this year than in the last 20 years carpfishing :)

Can't hit the distances I used to do though :thumbdown: a little of this :showoff: might help :)

Den

• Like 1

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My reply to Phone ie "Nothing new" kind of rings true with all the talk of singles for Pike etc. People have been playing with them for most of my piking career (nearly 50 years) and writing about there use (often each time as if its a new discovery) Im a great believer in learning from past experience (both mine and others) I mention this as VERY few who have played with alternatives such as singles EVER continue using them. The few who do do so simply because it works for their style of fishing (in the case of singles for pike this is normally guys who use small sprat type deadbaits) One argument I can put forward without quoting scientific stuff, my research or even my personal experience is simply "If after all this time singles were better then why havnt they been adopted by pikers as the "standard"? And to me the answer is simple!

I tend to agree with that. Mick Brown even started experimenting with hair rigs using chunks of mackerel and the like...it certainly looked neat but I don't think it caught on in the piking community. After 4 days on a recent trip pi**ing about with PVA bags, baiting up with pellets etc, and threading boilies and pop ups on hairs it makes me really appreciate the simplicity of pike fishing....if it all works leave as is :)

Edited by Neil G

Can't hit the distances I used to do though :thumbdown: a little of this :showoff: might help :)

Probably true of us all once three-score and ten is past, but however far a shore angler can cast, there is that little demon sitting on his shoulder saying "Not far ENOUGH, sunshine, not far ENOUGH" :bangin:

One thing I have found over the last few years is that I have to concentrate very hard to keep my balance (its an ear thing, probably related to my deafness) Rock-hopping - as in the rocks at the foot of Beachy Head is now much more difficult than it used to be, and tackling rocky rivers in chest waders is a thing of the past.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

You might like this setup, been using it to hurl sprats 100yds+ from the beach. Hook is uncovered so EXCELLENT hooking,

http://youtu.be/Pr5iI0FMe4w

you won't be using leads and clips for piking though :) just use the wire mount and a bait stop.

Den

I heard the voice of a god i will never listen to anything again ,bugger! i was thinking out loud

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I heard the voice of a god i will never listen to anything again ,bugger! i was thinking out loud

Steady on old chap, I am only a disciple :)

Seriously though, I had done about 50 sessions after a thornback from the beach, only about 4 pickups which all came off. Decided to put the thinking cap on and apply some carp thinking. Started to think that it may be a hooking problem (specially in view of the ones that came off) So came up with the bait mount so hooks were clear.....................INSTANT and continued success. A bit like when I started to use a hair rig (hook clear) for carp.

I know this is a coarse forum, but you can fish huge baits mounted on the wire hair.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just watched that vid Poledark and that's a pretty neat rig, definitely useable for small baits such as sprats and roach. I have thought about threading the trace through the bait before but never quite got to grips with perfecting it.

Edited by Neil G

For those of you open minded enough to give it a go here how i mount a bait using a tagging gun.

The hook used is a size 2 ESP raptor.

Start of by making a loop in the trace wire aprox level with the hook bend.

IMG_0217_zpsd0d02ed5.jpg

Then finish off with a knotless knot and a piece of shrink tube to reduce the loop size.

IMG_0219_zpsc16399ee.jpg

Then just mount your bait, either head or tail first. If a head end mount through the boney part of the snout. For a tail end I remove the fin and wrap a few turns bait elastic round to beef it up.

IMG_0223_zps11c95d9f.jpg

IMG_0220_zpse3eeb4bd.jpg

And heres what I used.

Guns are available on ebay for a few pounds and the tags are 25mm long.

IMG_0225_zps0d2b499e.jpg

Only drawbacks are your bait needs to be at least partly thawed to get the needle in and I have had the hook stick in the bait on the cast. A dissolving foam nugget cured that.

thats a very clever idea ,it maybe widespread but i havnt read any fishing mags for 30 years so my knowledge is confined to what i glean from here.

unfortunately most of my fishing is over and i have only been twice this year (due to the mrs med conditions) without a car (due to my new med condition ) its impossible for both of us to go now .

the nearest i get is popping down the pond to bailiff ,its a shame i hoped to die on the bank a very old man but its not really safe for her to be left alone for more than a couple of hours max incase she blows the house up LOL (its not just marrying me thats ruined her life but epilepsy and 3 new knees poor woman)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

no good at all on a large plug

Have you come across these yet Budgie?

Both the Owner and the Decoy versions are reasonably priced in Asia and they sit point down on the split ring and move about freely because of the oversize eye.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.