FAIRWAY PIKE

VladimirR

But is showing a nicely made film with some good fish .......being handled VERY BADLY really setting a good example to anglers who don't know any different and as such may emulate this a good thing? What other anglers get up to in other parts of the world is none of my business or concern....but I wouldn't want to see British anglers copying this down my local lake or river!" You may all to easily think the battle is over and thanks to the likes of the PAC and many other un sung pikers who have battled to "educate" over the decades that bad practices have been eliminated? everyone knows that gags are unnecessary (in fact a hindrance) and not good for pike? that all know that intentional deep hooking is bad? that deep hooked pike can be safely unhooked without leaving gear in them? that weigh slings/un hooking mats (in the correct situations) are good? Even that gaffs (all though now happily illegal) are not good?

THINK AGAIN!

Sadly it still goes on and so does the battle to educate against it. I honestly believe that despite some arguing that the presenting of bad practices (such as this film) are a good opportunity to discuss, point out the error and correct that sadly the un initiated will just see all us as "knockers", "Jealous", "key board warriors" and of course "Pike Police" as after all to them we and our experience are unknown where the "hero" in the film is establishing his credibility with the captures shown. So I ask should we be showing such stuff and therefore unintentionally promoting bad fishing practice?

Yep IMO I think we should be showing it.

There was no bad handling, they were dead.

Its not illegal to take fish in most of the world, just England and Wales. And was probably far more common in the rest of the world even before we made it illegal here. I shouldn't think many UK anglers don't know its illegal to take fish and the few that may not won't be long in being told.

The film is on Youtube for all to see along with a shed load of others of a similar nature. If you and other UK anglers don't like it, having a link on AN gives a good chance for you and them to say way.

IMO experienced UK anglers posting pictures of fish on grass is probably far worse. New UK anglers will probably think its fine to stick fish on any old bit of ground. Even on AN, I've seen pics of fish posted on dirt and dry flags by new anglers......... But then its only a fish and they soon get told.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Just to add my two penny worth, (if it's worth that much), I agree with Brian, in that I don't see why videos like the above shouldn't be shown. I have no problem with what anglers do in other countries, or their eating habits, it's another country, another culture. The UK anglers, similar to the western politicians, like to impose what they think is the right/only way. Well I for one don't think the angling powers that be, or a large section of anglers themselves have got it right either. Maybe we should have a long hard look at our own actions before we start criticising that of others.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The point being made is this is a uk angling catch and release type of forum the video shows a total lack of respect for that. Yes yes yes we can bleat all day its a different country till the coos come home but i say it again "uk angling online magazine and forum"

I come here to see some fish caught with the understanding the fish has been released. I come here for rigs tactics and advice.

I come here to talk to like minded anglers.

I dont come here to see a fish killed, gripped by eye sockets with a slit throat even if its for table.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that our country has been invaded by EE's and we are having countless problems with them eating our fish...this video on a UK angling forum might be giving the immigrants the wrong ideas....just my thoughts.

The point being made is this is a uk angling catch and release type of forum the video shows a total lack of respect for that. Yes yes yes we can bleat all day its a different country till the coos come home but i say it again "uk angling online magazine and forum"

I come here to see some fish caught with the understanding the fish has been released. I come here for rigs tactics and advice.

I dont come here to see a fish killed, gripped by eye sockets with a slit throat even if its for table.

There are many things I don't like about some angling practices Andy, but sites aren't run just for individuals, so I accept that others don't mind it. I'll speak out if I don't like something, and argue my case, but why should I think that my personal preferences should dictate the content of the forum? Just be thankful that the practices you don't like are the norm abroad, and not here. By showing such things, it leaves it open to debate, and all can put their views, whether they be pro, con, or indifferent.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

What jacks my jaw is the uninformed British opinion on this subject. The American public has a willingness to pay for catch and kill, over and above the cost of the activity is astounding. Much like the cost of our "guns control", hatcheries, conservation, facilities maintenance, etc are an $11,000,000,000 (that's BILLION) dollar industry. Everything from "invasive species" control to "helping the salmon 158,000 Federal and State jobs multiply quickly in the economy.

American's are an "outdoorsy" lot. Something primal about the harvest.

I suggest you pansy naysayers put on some sun screen have a cup of tea.

Phone

Catch and release? Not read that anywhere.

You UK pikers still catch, stick big hooks in and wang back out to be mauled don't you? But you say its not just pike you care about.

There are many things I don't like about some angling practices Andy, but sites aren't run just for individuals, so I accept that others don't mind it. I'll speak out if I don't like something, and argue my case, but why should I think that my personal preferences should dictate the content of the forum? Just be thankful that the practices you don't like are the norm abroad, and not here. By showing such things, it leaves it open to debate, and all can put their views, whether they be pro, con, or indifferent.

John.

I cant dictate, but I can moan all day about it. :bleh:

Catch and release? Not read that anywhere.

You UK pikers still catch, stick big hooks in and wang back out to be mauled don't you? But you say its not just pike you care about.

It doesnt say it but it sure as hell has been a major theme over the years ive been here.

as for sticking big hooks in things, ive been known to do that with carp, tench, trout, perch and a few others. so whats your point ?

did you know that the anglersnet facebook page has 60,000+ subscribers. The general jist of that seems to be catch and release angling judging by the photos and content.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I cant dictate, but I can moan all day about it. :bleh:

It doesnt say it but it sure as hell has been a major theme over the years ive been here.

as for sticking big hooks in things, ive been known to do that with carp, tench, trout, perch and a few others. so whats your point ?

did you know that the anglersnet facebook page has 60,000+ subscribers. The general jist of that seems to be catch and release angling judging by the photos and content.

I would say the point is the pots trying to call the kettle black and your trying your best to make rules that aren't there.

Don't do or care for facebook Andy.

Edited by lutra