FAIRWAY PIKE

VladimirR

I put my fish back (shock horror), big difference.

What difference? You mean you use the ones in packets from coocoos land.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

going around in circles again. ill wait until someone posts up a killed Chub so we can have the debate again.

Can't wait, but might be a while as I'm told chub are poor eating.

Seems most here are more interested in trying to claim the moral high ground rather than bother to read what people are saying.

Phone although I in general practice catch and release am quite aware of what goes on in the rest of the world (and that to me isn't just the US) I have no problem what so ever with the killing of fish as long as its within the laid down rules (if any) of that country. And then that's because usualy rules have been put down for a reason! But surely you know me well enough for me not to have to point that out after all these years?

Again non pikers have took the chance to dig about live baits and trebles (despite it not realy affecting their own fishing because they don't do it or understand it!) Like Andy says just because its a pike in this particular clip does it matter? I for one would be asking the same questions regardless of species.

Interesting to see the split of both "yes and no" this should be shown and the reasons for and against.

Im personaly leaning towards agreeing with Brian that we shouldn't have ant restrictions as such on AN but do disagree that most UK anglers know the difference (well the ones Im concerned about that would copy any bad practices shown)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that our country has been invaded by EE's and we are having countless problems with them eating our fish...this video on a UK angling forum might be giving the immigrants the wrong ideas....just my thoughts.

Personally from working with a few polish lads that fish, I don't think many of them think its OK to take fish here. One of them is back in Poland now Zander fishing and has been telling me of all the restrictions and licencing that is involved in fishing for them. Its no free for all and it sounds like the rules are well policed. So I don't think any of them come here with the idea fishing is a free for all take what you want.

They can and do take and eat Zander in Poland with in the rules, yet I'm told the Zed fishing is way better over there and was backed up with pics of 10kg+ fish. :huh:

From what I've seen, heard and read of them taking fish here, they know its wrong even if they try to claim other wise. I also think there may have been some localized problems, but its improving and it was never has bad as anglers would try and claim.

Anyway they can spot a Russky from 100 miles away and would never have been fouled by that film.

They can and do take and eat Zander in Poland with in the rules, yet I'm told the Zed fishing is way better over there and was backed up with pics of 10kg+ fish. :huh:

From what I've seen, heard and read of them taking fish here, they know its wrong even if they try to claim other wise. I also think there may have been some localized problems, but its improving and it was never has bad as anglers would try and claim.

I remember Matt Hayes doing a fishing programme in Poland and he caught next to nothing. He went to waters that where meant to be good one's also. Maybe he just went to the wrong "good un's" lol.

Brian, I know for sure there's lots of fish being taken by EE's with quite devastating results in some waters. I've actually moved groups of them off waters during the open season and more often during the closed season. I've also come across their mess what they,ve left behind....throw away bbq's and piles of polish food wrappers etc etc.

This has been on quite a few occassions now and it is really annoying. I've even seen tent's left with enough litter (much of it polish wrappings) to fill several skips !

It's pretty much all across the country and there's much more of it going on than I would have believed.

I know there's a problem on your local river at the moment with set lines. There where a gang of them on the wier (you know which one) recently and they did take everything they caught. They camped out and left the usual rubbish behind. I know they where reported to the bailiffs by a member on your clubs side of the river but when the bailiffs went over and saw how many of them there was and the matchetes etc they bottled it and phoned the police who said they where on their way but never materialised. They where left in peace to do what they pleased !

A few years ago I said that stealing fish wasnt as wide spread on my canal as some would have me think otherwise. Having to eat my own words here and say im seeing an increase.

Chased some bulgarians off it a few months ago using a small net. They claimed ignorance while grinning away laughing through their teeth.

Seen set lines and just recently a large bin bag(white) full of plastic bottles that swayed around in the wind as though attached to something. Went back that night with lure rod but it was gone.

Fishing a local ressie a group of 4 ee's downing vodka and fishing. From a distance they were fine and oblivious to me seeing them but when they seen me coming they acted like cowardly dogs and sleeked away all hush hush like.

I wouldnt say its improving but getting worse, lutra. Well here anyway.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I remember Matt Hayes doing a fishing programme in Poland and he caught next to nothing. He went to waters that where meant to be good one's also. Maybe he just went to the wrong "good un's" lol.

Brian, I know for sure there's lots of fish being taken by EE's with quite devastating results in some waters. I've actually moved groups of them off waters during the open season and more often during the closed season. I've also come across their mess what they,ve left behind....throw away bbq's and piles of polish food wrappers etc etc.

This has been on quite a few occassions now and it is really annoying. I've even seen tent's left with enough litter (much of it polish wrappings) to fill several skips !

It's pretty much all across the country and there's much more of it going on than I would have believed.

I know there's a problem on your local river at the moment with set lines. There where a gang of them on the wier (you know which one) recently and they did take everything they caught. They camped out and left the usual rubbish behind. I know they where reported to the bailiffs by a member on your clubs side of the river but when the bailiffs went over and saw how many of them there was and the matchetes etc they bottled it and phoned the police who said they where on their way but never materialised. They where left in peace to do what they pleased !

Its always been poaching country down there Ian. The EE's must be soft lads, The English lads used to shoot at anyone that came near. Its a 5 minute walk from one of roughest areas in the country. The police don't just bob out there and are probably happy if the locals are doing a bit of fishing......

TBH given the number of polish that have moved in around there in the last few years, I'm surprised it doesn't get fished a lot more. Still good fishing down there, but maybe the EE's don't like chub and barbel and thats why the carp numbers are on the up around there. I was watching a shoal of them down there last season.

A few years ago I said that stealing fish wasnt as wide spread on my canal as some would have me think otherwise. Having to eat my own words here and say im seeing an increase.

Chased some bulgarians off it a few months ago using a small net. They claimed ignorance while grinning away laughing through their teeth.

Seen set lines and just recently a large bin bag(white) full of plastic bottles that swayed around in the wind as though attached to something. Went back that night with lure rod but it was gone.

Fishing a local ressie a group of 4 ee's downing vodka and fishing. From a distance they were fine and oblivious to me seeing them but when they seen me coming they acted like cowardly dogs and sleeked away all hush hush like.

I wouldnt say its improving but getting worse, lutra. Well here anyway.

Do you think set lines are legal in Poland Andy?

I've not googled it, but even if they are (I'd be surprised if they are), it sounds like the cowardly dogs know they aren't here.

BIG difference between here in London and down where I was in sleepy Kent! EVERY morning when I turn up ay some spots on the Thames there are Polish lads fishing. Soon as I/others turn up they pack up and leave. And why? because they've no licences and a bag of fish! How do I know they've got no licences? simply because the other Polish lads who wander down just after it gets light for a few hours before work tell me! These lads do take the odd Jack for eating but handle ALL with respect and return anything mush over 5lb. They hate the fact that so many of their fellow countrymen get them such a bad reputation. But they tell me its exactly the same back home where there are several distinct groups of "anglers" first the "sport fishermen" who as it implies fish for the fun of it but do take the odd fish to eat, next the guys who fish purely for the table and lastly those who catch fish to make money! Obviously a bit of cross over in the groups but that's basicly it.

People also speak with a lot of "authority" about how in other countries the general taking of fish doesn't or does affect fish stocks. Makes me wonder how long they've lived in these countries? Ive lived in both France and Germany for several years (not just a holiday fishing trip) I can tell you that from what I saw and experienced the wholesale killing of fish (which in Germany for example is LAW!) I saw no sign at all of diminished stocks......well non predatory fish at least! BUIT these are huge water systems with (despite the numbers of anglers) a much lower "angler per amount of water" ratio. AND yet the predator fishing in both France and Germany is totally stuffed! also I reckon more anglers fish for predators than other species. Simple reasons are surely that predators are both delicate and tasty!

But comparing our waters with European waters is foolish no comparison at all! Other than the "commercial" European waters....such as the one in the quoted Matt Hayes "Lake Adventures" program......... Another bit of my simple logic is why do people think that so many German and French anglers go to Ireland to Pike fish?

I don't pretend to know the answers or indeed feel 100% sure I even understand the problem but I know when I read third hand "knowledge"!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!