Blinders

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without putting words into John B's mouth what I think he is saying is that there ought to be a two pronged attack on the issue of undersize fish. There is a need to attack the market place just as vigourously as the catching sector to close down any avenue for undersized fish.

Stop the purchase and eating of undersize and there is no market to sell the tids and no incentive to those who currently drive coach and horses through fishery legislation. Those who catch undersize with the view to landing and profiting from them also need to be targeted in order to preserve stocks and should be hit with more severe penalties than those prosecuted for monor infringements so that a clear distinction between the two can be made.

As it is on mainland Europe that tids are mainly bought and eaten that is where the main thrust of any enforcement action needs to take place, there is no market for undersize fish in the UK, apart from some restaurants that seem to want two bite size bass, so it would make more sense for the fisheries protection boats to look at some of our contenental cousins' fishing methods a wee bit harder

I understand that there's also a good market for cocaine and heroin. So who do we blame, the addicts or the dealers who supply the market?

I'm not suggesting that commercial fishermen are drug dealers or anything like that, I'm just saying that the fact that there's a market is no excuse for them to break the law.

I agree with what you are saying. But in all walks of life, desperate men do desperate things.

If there is a market for undersized fish in the UK, it must be small. Personally, I have never come across one; although I know very little about bass, so that could be the exception.

Restaurants are very visible and could be checked relatively easily. It would be quite difficult to check up on things like cod fillets. However, Dover soles, which are likely to be the main target of a Dutch beamer, and which are usually left whole, could be checked much more easily.

In my humble opinion, the undersized fish market in Holland could be a massive problem. The objective should be to stop this practice, with decisive action in the most effective place, as soon as possible. And let the blame be apportioned to the actual culprits, at a later date.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Guest @Winter@

A market for undersized fish ? Perhaps that may be the case.

I know nothing of this situation so bare with me here. My question is How possible is this scenario ?

The market isn't for undersized fish. The current mesh size makes it difficult to catch fish that are just of the legal takable size. With so many fish of that size about the skipper feels he is missing out so the skipper decides to employ a blinder to ensure they catch everything moving and then discards the undersize fish over the side and keeps the rest.

Only a hypotheses so please dont shout at me, but is it possible?

Brian I am sending a pm about a different issue m8.

Edited by @Winter@

Its more than possible its more a probable than anything. As the fisheries protection boats have been seen to be investigating and boarding only UK boats over the last 18 months to 2yrs, our continental cousins have cottoned on to the fact that they are being left alone to their own devices and very very unlikely to get boarded and inspected so therefore have probably been more inclined to fish for tids by illegal means

I agree with what you are saying. But in all walks of life, desperate men do desperate things.

If there is a market for undersized fish in the UK, it must be small. Personally, I have never come across one; although I know very little about bass, so that could be the exception.

Restaurants are very visible and could be checked relatively easily. It would be quite difficult to check up on things like cod fillets. However, Dover soles, which are likely to be the main target of a Dutch beamer, and which are usually left whole, could be checked much more easily.

In my humble opinion, the undersized fish market in Holland could be a massive problem. The objective should be to stop this practice, with decisive action in the most effective place, as soon as possible. And let the blame be apportioned to the actual culprits, at a later date.

JB

Yes I see what you are getting at. From what I've heard there is a very large market for undersize fish in Europe. I think it's part of their culture or something, you know, if it moves-eat it. (They even eat snails for Christs sake!) I don't know how we'd go about changing that mind set. I suppose we cpould say that all fish caught off our coast is infected with BSC, that might get a 10 year ban!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.