The colour of maggots ....

GlennB

Is it really possible that maggots of one colour might blank while maggots of a different colour might score well ?

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

anyone knows red ones attract small perch i suspect they actually rush from ponds miles away to eat mine.

yes they seem to but it changes one day the roach may prefer bronze ones the next white.

i experimented with colouring my own as a youth (chrysodine !!!!!!) and managed to produce green ones and even black ones (food dye in the meat) but none were a "killer" bait that caught all the time, fish just went off them and started on another colour :rolleyes:

so plenty of colours will catch fish but different ones turn fish on at different times

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Match fishing on the Tidal river Yare fishing the swimfeeder requires several different coloured Maggots and a change of colour would result in more bites, but one colour maggot was head and shoulders above the rest ...Home bred Gozzers dyed Fluorescent Pink! all the top boys made the considerable effort of breeding their own and then dying them, it took the best part of a week from the correct blows to riddling them off on the Saturday morning before going to the match, it is a science believe me, if you got the wrong flys to blow on your sheep's heart you were wasting your time! how to get the correct type of fly? ..location! placing the sheep's heart in the correct environment is essential, so too the timing of applying the dye, get that wrong and the maggots would die,leave it too late and they do not take the dye properly..so to sum up ..yes! the colour of a maggot can be critical .

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I think colour can be a very important factor when fishing. When trotting on the River Dove last October the only maggot colour I was catching on was yellow (not bronze). Yellow and red worked quite well too, but reds on their own didn't get a bite.

Dan

Yes I think it does to.My allround favourite has to be red allthough for chub and Barbel I prefer bronze.

Some days just changing the colour of the one on the hook can make such a difference.

Another favourite of mine is that when fishing for roach in coloured water Ive found two fluro orange pinkies on a size 22 deadly!

Ive seen blue and green ones to but never caught on one!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Match fishing on the Tidal river Yare fishing the swimfeeder requires several different coloured Maggots and a change of colour would result in more bites, but one colour maggot was head and shoulders above the rest ...Home bred Gozzers dyed Fluorescent Pink! all the top boys made the considerable effort of breeding their own and then dying them, it took the best part of a week from the correct blows to riddling them off on the Saturday morning before going to the match, it is a science believe me, if you got the wrong flys to blow on your sheep's heart you were wasting your time! how to get the correct type of fly? ..location! placing the sheep's heart in the correct environment is essential, so too the timing of applying the dye, get that wrong and the maggots would die,leave it too late and they do not take the dye properly..so to sum up ..yes! the colour of a maggot can be critical .

That's right Bob, how do think I got the name? We used to use pigeons to breed gozzers on, it was always a bit hit and miss with us. We only used to use anatto as dye, putting a paste on the feed, got a deep yellow colour that was brilliant on the right day. As for normal maggots, I use mainly bronze and reds. I think the colour often depends on colour of water and what sort of bottom the swim has, in that some colours of bait are more visible in certain conditions.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Is it really possible that maggots of one colour might blank while maggots of a different colour might score well ?

Yes

even stranger is that you can feed one colour and not get a bite, put a different colour on the hook and away you go!!!!!!!!!!

Saw the club sec fishing his caster line on tuesday and he could not get a bite on caster, he put on a red maggot over the caster and had several quality roach - could be that his caster on the hook was not presented correctly but the maggot on its own (as none were feed on that line) looked fine.

My favorite colour is red as I have found most fish in a stillwater prefer red, especially near the bottom.

For up in the water fishing I prefer mixed colours as I belive if the fish feeding in the upper water are only taking say the whites and bronze, the reds will reach the bottom which could lead to bonus fish such as tench or bream and I have even found while catching rudd and small roach in the uppers I have connected with shouls of bigger roach on reds underneath in the mid to lower layers.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!