Playing in Lightroom

kirisute

got myself a copy of Lightroom so figured id head out and shoot some RAW stuff and have a play.

suprising how much you can tweak an image to get decent results.

top is original RAW...bottom is edited version.

IMG_5475-2_zpsb3e5c89b.jpg

IMG_5475_zpsa2188b10.jpg

I've never used Lightroom always Photoshop CS5 or 6. Part of which is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), is this what you get with Lightroom?

I only shoot Raw, all of my photographs are first processed in ACR, a very powerful tool which is non destructible and most often overlooked by most people hurrying into Photoshop. I have an excellent Tutorial for ACR if you want a copy Kirisute.

Edited by Manxman

CS 6 has Camera RAW 7 correct?

didn't actually realise that til you just now said! LOL

just opened a raw image in there and got the camera raw window up...

yes its very similar to the exposure tab on Lightroom.

at a quick glance Lightroom offers an archive/library feature as well as a few more advanced settings etc probably far and above anything the average user would ever touch! LOL

here are the two interfaces: lightroom at the bottom.

cs6raw_zps3c6f4ba9.jpg

lightroomraw_zps28c8a441.jpg

I would presume that Camera Raw in photoshop is essentially a cut down version of Lightroom RAW editing...which to be fair would probably be all I need....but I figured Lightroom would be fun to play with.

Lightroom is a scaled down version of what get with CS5/6. CS5/6 has three parts, Bridge, where you view your photo's on your drives, batch them etc. and open them im Camera raw. Where you have a powerful and very versatile bit of kit. Open a raw and click in the adjustment brush and see what it can do, make sure you tick the box "show mask". Once your finished there hold down the Alt key and click open copy, so you have your raw left to work with again and undo any changes you made.

Here's a recent Raw converted straight to a Jpeg and afterwards being through Camera raw and Photoshop.

14950063945_2128236619_c.jpgIMG_0084ToJpeg by Manninagh, on Flickr>

The whole photo looks muddy, not sharp, highlights are blown out on the silver balloon, poor contrast and the colour need more saturation.

14884258431_8ff5544e24_c.jpgBalloons5 by Manninagh, on Flickr

After Camera raw and a levels adjustment in Photoshop.

Raw is the way to go to get the best out of your photographs

Edited by Manxman