Fishery rules and the one that got away!

Neil G

Attached is a picture of a size 8 hook after an encounter with a ton up sturgeon....a very, very gutting moment for me as the line went slack and a probable fish of a lifetime disappeared off into the murk.

I'm just posting this to see what peoples views are on hook sizes and fishery rules. I turned up with proper size 2 Catfish pro BP hooks and catlink leader as the place contains cats up to 90lb as well as sturgeon to 110lb but changed the rigs due to the rules which stipulated size 8s...now I was a little surprised at this but didn't want to get booted off but after this tussle I was kicking myself for not leaving them on.

It was a real dilemma of doing what you know is right or playing by the rules and I obviously made the wrong choice. I will not be going back to said venue as asking people who are paying lots of money and travelling a long way to chance it on carp equipment to me seems a little misguided, there was the added pain of not being able to use proper predator methods (livebaiting) and moaning at using braid.

On a positive note the sight of a 7/8ft long fish coming fully out of the water and the brief tussle with it was an experience I'll remember for a long time!

post-11684-0-98848700-1408433030_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neil G

It's always a tricky choice. I would have done the same as you in this case as it was the first trip. But if I went back, I'd be trying to find a way around it. Sometimes (as you've found) the people making the rules know less than you do.

I don't like breaking rules but sometimes I will take a risk if I think the rule is crazy and/or seriously detrimental; although you do have to accept that if you get pulled up on it, you might never fish there again. On some waters that's OK, on others it isn't!

For this specific problem, is it possible to get size 8 hooks that are extremely strong? Also, not all 'size 8' hooks are the same size, perhaps you can find one that's bigger?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not that I'd condone it, but I've known people carry say, size 4 hooks, in a size 8 packet, and if pulled, argue the toss with the bailiff etc, pointing out as Anderoo has that not all brands are actually the same, size for size :hypocrite:

• Like 1

Maybe they think large hooks more damage in the hands of inexperienced ?

A carp fishery here has similar rule.

Maybe ask them why they have the rule and if they see you are no noddy might make an exception ?

The carp fishery here doesnt allow alarms because people misused them he did say if you turn it right down it would be ok.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All,

Why couldn't you use a 3X forged size 8? I'm amazed even a wire hook failed before the mainline.

For my part these rules make no sense. I would be using a 2/0 or larger to target 50+ lb fish.

Phone