Angling Safe

Leon Roskilly

For immediate release:

14 March 2006

Angling & Shooting Safe With Labour – anonymous critics accused of ‘mischief making’

Labour’s Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling and Shooting, Martin Salter MP has moved to reassure Britain’s 4 million+ anglers and shooters that their sport is safe with Labour following comments by Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State for DEFRA on the Today Programme on Monday March 6th which have been deliberately taken out of context.

Martin Salter said:

‘Under Margaret Beckett we have seen a whole raft of pro-angling policies including measures to help control inland fisheries from cormorant predation, a plan to manage bass stocks for recreational fishing, a commitment from the Environment Agency to increase participation in angling, and of course, the publication of Labour’s highly acclaimed Charter for Angling in 2005.

Margaret’s comments have been deliberately misrepresented by those who have always sought to portray Labour as anti-angling. I have checked with Margaret personally and studied the transcript of her interview on the Today Programme and it is quite clear that her comments were in respect of her colleague Tessa Jowell facing “a trial by ordeal” at the hands of the media. She went on to use a well known figure of speech about how the House of Commons will always be the last remaining bloodsport in order to demonstrate the brutality of modern politics.

To claim that an interview about the plight of a Cabinet colleague under huge pressure was in fact a coded policy announcement about Labour’s intentions towards angling and shooting is either extreme paranoia or simple political mischief making.’

-ENDS-

Further information: Martin Salter MP

Note: - The Observer on 12th March carried a diary piece claiming Margaret Beckett’s comments were proof of a secret government agenda and quoted an anonymous lobby source.

Observer Article

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Paranoia or not, that won't stop some of the "media" from taking it up!

Where does this word Media come from anyway? some of them are nowhere near any median I have heard of.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

i think most of the newspapers are close to the 0deg up and downy one

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have been dealing with DEFRA on another water based matter. Both they, and 'Naturel England', appear to have jumped into the 'conservation at all costs bed' together. Me thinks that it's an interesting organisation that needs watching.

Dear All,

Years ago I remember watching an edition of "Question Time" shot in Newcastle when Margaret Beckett was on the panel. There was very high unemployment up there back then and the Tories were in power.

Invariably the question was posed about local high unemployment when a bricklayer from the audience asked the panel what they were going to do about the problem. When it was Beckett's turn to give her opinion I expected the usual blurb where she would have tried to score points over her Tory panel members. Instead, she amazingly told the brickie that there were loads of jobs for tradesmen down in the South and he should seriously consider moving there!!

Hands up all those anglers that "genuinely" trust one single word any politician tells you?

Anglers aren't daft and they will use their vote concerning real issues that affect them and their families. Like a government which just sits back and watches gas/electric companies put up their prices 25% in one fell swoop. Those same companies that are making "billions" of pounds in profits! You wait until our nation’s house holds realise just how much extra they are paying for their essential services as the rest of the blood sucking greedy companies and authorities jump aboard the same money train.

The sleazy mobsters are done for and this will be the last time for a very long time that the labour party will hold office. So who the hell cares what labour say about angling? They won't be round long enough for us to care what they say about anything anyway!

I have heard a rumour that when the Tories romp home the Essex hunts are going to hold their stirrup cups from No 10 then ride out gloriously down the Mall with ten million supporters cheering them on towards Hyde Park.

And anyway, why has Mr Salter come out in defence of Beckett if everyone knows that angling is safe like he says it is? This government seems to be keen on keeping the angling/shooting vote in line? It all appears like a case of labour "high jacking" angling and shooting to me. Poor old Countryside Alliance, this government are nicking all their punters!!

I wonder if the government have yet noticed we are not in handcuffs and blind folded like they think we are?

Regards,

Lee.

they were (parliament) discussing tail docking in dogs and whether a clause should be put in to exempt working dogs.

while one chap spoke about the real reason working dogs are docked (in terriers its purely because if the are in a hole (rabbit or fox etc) they can easily get their tails caught in a root fork and its also the easiest (and safest) way to pull it out of the hole (pulling on a full tail would result in damage to it) and other dogs such as spaniels go deep into cover where tails can be damaged

some pleb kept cutting in with "well why arnt police dogs docked then" and "why arn't fox hounds docked they work) the chap explained that police dogs and any other dog that chases needs its tail for balance cornering

the prat kept tutt tutting and wise cracking

another woman said they were docked because of a 1792 law that was abolished but the practice still continues because that old law may come back :o

its these blinkered types that will get anything banned mostly because they just dont understand it or have been manipulated by clever words.

whether the vote went for or against the clause i haven a clue i switched off in disgust at these so called knowlegable people :yucky:

the hardest thing would be to distinguish between prophelactic docking and docking for looks after all theres probably more terriers that hunt shoes indoors than hunt animals outside.

strangely no-one mentioned human "docking" in babies for purely religeous reasons if thats ok why not dogs ,abuse is seemingly only applied to animals in this case :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson