North Wales and North west tope byelaw

SOS has been asked by Gethyn Owen to make anglers aware of the following

Over recent months I have been in contact with Mr Martyn Boyce, The Principal Fisheries Officer with the North West and North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee regarding a proposal for a new Byelaw to prohibit the retention of tope in the NW&NWSFC jurisdiction. Where as not currently commercially fished for, this Byelaw will effectively stop any potential commercial fishing for tope in the future.

Mr Boyce has confirmed to me that tope stocks have been a topic of general discussion within the North West and North Wales district, however following on from my formal request will now take on an official agenda topic during their next meeting on 19th of this month, May.

Mr Boyce has asked local Fishery Officers to canvass opinions from local anglers regarding this issue, to help form part of a report to the committee for the 19th May meeting.

It was reported in the angling press only last year that some commercial anglers on the South East English coast have been exploring the possibility of commercially fishing for tope. Tope is our largest most plentiful sporting fish, and its protection must be guaranteed if we are to safeguard our fishery here on the North West coast for the future.

I urge that all NorthWest Angler readers write to Mr Boyce, detailing their support for such a byelaw. The address to write to is

Principal Fisheries Officer

Mr Martin Boyce

North Western & North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee

Lancaster University

Bailrigg

Lancaster

LA14YY

Alternatively an already prepared letter can be downloaded and printed from my website at www.goangling.co.uk/topebyelaw.htm

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Will write off a letter Ian. Cannot have the tope becoming extinct before I catch and release one :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy