Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

If like me you happen to have a passion for Bass fishing and believe in a bit of C+R don't open this months Sea Angler magazine.

Every boat caught Bass to win a mission badge has fallen to a Guernsey rod and not a single one of them was returned!

The Hall of Shame features some truly remarkable fish of up to 18lb 1oz.

What was it? Something like 100 tons+ of prime breeding stock slaughtered last year, maybe Sea Angler can make a one off Mission Accomplished award to the Island of Guernsey when the last blessed one over 5lb has been squandered.

Just in case anyone was going to poke me with a 'jealousy' remark, I can assure you that just like a number of other anglers I have spoken to over there, I wouldn't fish the mark if I was paid.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sharkbyte

How are things?

What was it? Something like 100 tons+ of prime breeding stock slaughtered last year,

Is this by anglers ,or commercial anglers, were the awards given to commercial anglers?

I fish to live and live to fish.

From what I have heard over the grape vine, and please note this is pure speculation, a lot of these fish are being caught by charter skippers who are also regestered commercial fisherman. There are also aparently many private angling boats cashing in on the bass breeding mark and selling their catch on the black market for nice wods of cash.

Now I happen to belive that if all commercial activity regarding bass was done using rod and line the angling world would be a better place.

As for these fish winning the Sea Anglers Mission badges, well I put the question to the forum is this skillfull angling that deserves prase? or is it like fishing for carp in a stew pond?

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi Wurzel,

things are good mate even though I was beaten into third position in the Unofficial Perch Challenge by Mr Cox and my brother. Swines ;)

I am making an educated guess in that the statistic given is mostly made up of commercial rod and line catches. The thought of another considerable percentage of unaccounted recreational captures doesn't bear thinking about.

I wouldn't expect every one of these awesome fish to have been returned but at least one may have demonstrated some concern for future generations.

As for your last question, "were the awards given to commercial anglers?"............ No Comment!!!!!

Frowned upon by who mate? it seems that its perfectly exceptable to target them by the people of gurnsey!

sorry Wayne I miss read that mate!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

This whole subject is a massive issue locally. the weight of catches are under estimaes IMO with reports of some Commercial skippers taking over 20 ton of Bass in a week earlier this year. Fisheries reports for 2004 show log book returns of 127 ton of bass in total in 2004 compared to 49ton in 2003. This mark was discovered and fished hard in 2004. The figures in the report say about not much of the catch at this mark but the figures say it to me...

This mass slaughter has to stop but no-one who has any power wants to listen, know or care.

These are all massive breeding fish and the mark which i am not going to name here has already taken a mass pounding since it was discovered by accident by a commercial boy 2 years ago. There have been 20lb+ fish netted and reported rod caught from there but the captors were not up for weighing them in.

There are a lot of RSA's fishing the mark as well and those who keep fish are just as much to blame as the commercials. 90% of the fishing on the mark is rod and line even the commercials as it is too hard to net with hard tides and a high reef structure.

Toerag will be on later and he will give you a better idea of the numbers etc as he is involved in the tagging program at that mark to try and find something out about fish movements round there.

Andy

Frowned upon by who mate? it seems that its perfectly exceptable to target them by the people of gurnsey!

sorry Wayne I miss read that mate!

Sam.

That is NOT the view of ALL Guernseymen, just the extremely narrow minded few who don't give a @~$" about stocks.

Edited by FishingGuernsey

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

This is going to eventually take its toll and Gurnsey will become like the Scilly Islands BASSLESS!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

This is going to eventually take its toll and Gurnsey will become like the Scilly Islands BASSLESS!

I really hope it won't come to that.

The value of RSA in Guernsey IMO is far greater than commercial angling. I and others just can't get that into the thick skulls of those who can do something about it.

Addition:

RSA's also seem to need some educating and I am not intentionally targetting Commercials... I don't want this trhead to turn into another one of those arguments and would appreciate some useful views on this that may be presented to local government etc.

Edited by FishingGuernsey

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

In case there was any misunderstanding, the wholesale slaughter of Bass is most definetely not every Guernseymans cup of tea.

In addition to meeting some true sport anglers over there, the superb online petition of 2005 is testament to that attracting nigh on 2000 signatures!