Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

Wurzel, I thought it was well known knollege that the Thames Eastuary bass spawned this time of year!

Also there are always exceptions, your 37cm bass may of been a fast grower and developer. Its egg wouldnt of been as virile as an fish of 45cm.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wurzel, I thought it was well known knollege that the Thames Eastuary bass spawned this time of year!

It's the first time I've seen a roe like that this time of year, not usally untill next month.

I thought every body thought bass all spawned down south.

Its egg wouldnt of been as virile as an fish of 45cm.

Oh yes they were,

I fish to live and live to fish.

I suppose that there will always be exceptions to the rule. It's certainly not the norm for a bass of that size to be spawning, and as you say it's early too. Maybe it was a nympho bass? :blink: Was there a crowd of spotty juvenile male bass following it around? :D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Wurzel,

I don't think that Bass Anglers are a "small group of stakeholders". There are more than one or two of us and I reckon a darn sight more than commercial fishermen number.

Well if that ain't anarchy, what is?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Hello Guernsey bass

one thing i would ask you wurzel, is what % of your bass catch is typically schoolies and what % would be breeders of 5lB plus ?

About a 1/8 would be 5lb pluss. but we mainly target schoolies between 40 and 50 cm, we catch very few 36cm.

thanks,

that was my point - if 1/8 of your catch is fish of 5lb plus, then the effect of these catches ( being 100% over 5lb) must be magnified eight times on the spawning biostock.

say if the channel catch is 1300 tonnes per year and one eighth of that is spawning biomass of 162.50 tonnes. then the 35 tonnes taken each year in guernsey is 20% of the spawning biomass.

now i know thats very rough figures, and most of the fish will have spawned once or more before but how long can the stock sustain that direct harvesting of its spawning biomass ?

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

hello Guernsey bass

say if the channel catch is 1300 tonnes per year and one eighth of that is spawning biomass of 162.50 tonnes. then the 35 tonnes taken each year in guernsey is 20% of the spawning biomass.

now i know thats very rough figures, and most of the fish will have spawned once or more before but how long can the stock sustain that direct harvesting of its spawning biomass ?

yes very rough figures.

We don't target the larger fish so much these days, because it is easier to catch dover sole instead. we target the school bass when they shoal up during the autum, it we fished 100 % bass then at certain times of the year we would be targeting larger fish.

The way the sole quota is looking the chances are I will have to fish for bass much more this summer.

I think that the bass the French pair teams catch are mainly larger fish, so they have been harvesting the spawning biomass for the last 25 years, not much effect yet.

then the 35 tonnes taken each year in guernsey is 20% of the spawning biomass.

The way every body was getting excited I thought it was 135 tons, 35 tons is nowt.

I think that the bass the French pair teams catch are mainly larger fish,

Hello Peter

According to most commercial fishermen who opposed the increase in MLS for bass, the French target 36cm to 45cm bass.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

The Bass caught at the Mark referred to are ALL breeding fish, there are no schoolies, most of the fish are 10lb plus, all (OK, maybe not 100%) of them are 5lb plus.

Not any more. Most days it's 3-6lbers with the odd better day. The beginning of the end??

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Hello Steve

According to most commercial fishermen who opposed the increase in MLS for bass, the French target 36cm to 45cm bass.

They catch what they catch, I was always led to believe that the winter pair trawl fishery was on larger fish, the fishery that Steve G was involved in is a summer fishery, like the large French trawler that turned up on the off shore banks here last summer they are after what ever they catch.