Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

In case there was any misunderstanding, the wholesale slaughter of Bass is most definetely not every Guernseymans cup of tea.

In addition to meeting some true sport anglers over there, the superb online petition of 2005 is testament to that attracting nigh on 2000 signatures!

Thanks Sharkbyte :)

The petition Caleb organised had a great response. Not sure on the current status. Will try and find out.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sharkbyte

We discussed this fishery when I met you, I still don't know what the answer is, only time will tell how much pressure the mark can stand.

I27 ton might sound a lot to you but in the over all bass fishery it's not so much, a couple of French pair trawlers probably catch that in a month.

A Belgium freind of mine found some large shoals of bass on his local coast , I expected the same would happen to him as did us, you have a very good year, a good year then down hill after that, as you say you can only catch large bass once, but it was not the case four years later he tells me he had the best year ever last year, all along that coast bass seem to be increasing at a alarming rate, they are turning up in ever larger numbers off the Yorkshire coast, but they seemed to by pass the Thames estuary for some reason , perhaps this year will be better. what I am trying to say, yes that mark is getting some hammer and there is no telling how long it will stand it, but it's over all effect on the bass stock will be minimal ,

Are the marks that they aways fished before being left alone in preference for this new mark?

I fish to live and live to fish.

but it's over all effect on the bass stock will be minimal ,

Are the marks that they aways fished before being left alone in preference for this new mark?

I hope youre right but somehow I doubt it.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

In part I am tempted to agree with you Wurzel. I do not doubt that Bass will still be around in semi reasonable numbers if the carnage continues but I for one will not be spending many,many hundreds of pounds each year travelling over to the Channel Islands if all I can expect is schoolies.

Seeing as the mark in question doesn't lend itself to the use of gill nets or pair trawling, I doubt it very much.

What is an 18lb Bass actually worth? Many thousands of pounds, possibly tens of thousands in my opinion.

Taking up Sam's point about the level of skill involved, I'd say negligable. If memory serves me correctly in last years two Bass comps, each running Friday to Monday the charter boats couldn't muster up a single double between them.

I'm no carp angler but from what I've heard it's severely frowned upon to target them when they are clearly spawning.
Dunno why it is frowned upon since they basically go off their feed during spawning.

You can take them with a bow or spear since they are in shallow and very pre-occupied but rod & reel is pretty useless unless you can find where the large females are staging on the way to or from the party. In that case you can pick up an occasional fish. In any case, I have never found a way to disturb carp that are in the spawning mood for more than a few minutes and since they don't nest, they can just take up where they left off with no harm done from being disturbed.

They certainly are not fragile during this time since they do the deed by the males pinning the females against reeds or bank and beating the eggs out of them. Bruising, scale loss, but no lasting damage done.

I dunno about the UK carpers but from the time in spring that I first see the smaler males starting to crash and thrash about near shore, I switch to other species that are more willing to cooperate.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Why was that deleted ,

As your original reply was phrased, it could only have served to start a stupid fight on a thread that so far is making good sense. This one is reasonable and will stay.

Newt

An 18lb Bass would get yield a lot of meat, around 12 lb once it's head was taken out of the equation , I fish to supplement my dietary needs, and feed my family,

Sure if all you're going to do is take it home to feed the cat's or photograph it, and send your picture to an angling mag, (which all of them, in my opinion should actively discourage that is, the act of killing fish for photographic value), then i'm all for catch look at, then release.

As i said i fish to feed the family, don't you fellas realise that animals have to die to feed humans

Knight

I must have mislaid the Guernsey Famine Appeal envelope that Bob Geldof sent me. If I find it I'll send them a fillet or two from over here and buy the cd when it comes out. ;):D

Sharkbyte

Your thread was entitled "Disgusted" ,

Disgusted, I assume, that probably all those fish that were taken were killed, merely for the photographic titillation of the reading public of the sea angling magazines, or ended up being dumped, fed to the cats or whatever the "catch, kill, photograph brigade do with the fish they catch,Then I too, am disgusted, if this is the case , but as i said earlier, i fish to feed my family,

If the fish that end up as photographs in a magazine are merely disposed of after the thrill of the "5 minutes of fame" then surely this is an even bigger waste, than taking the fish to eat

Knight

Bass of that emense size are really past their sell by date when it comes to being eaten, and most decent bas anglers know this. If I wish to take a bass for the pot I really want one between 2.5lb and 4.5lb they tast a lot better! I meen its the same with women I dont really fancie a old tough 85 year old !lol

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Therewas 10 boxes of bass landed on scarborough market last week by one pair team,also one trawler fishing from here he was fishing for whitefish was only at sea 8hrs and he landed 10 bass this very unusual seems to be plenty of bass now turning up here on the yorkshire coast.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg