Casting

Is there any members of this forum who are keen on casting. I got into casting on a field about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it. There must be casters here. What set ups do you use, favourite styles and what is your longest cast. Im interested in the new x cast and would like to know if anyone is using it for fishing purposes.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi m8 i see you have been reading Keith whites site :)

The X cast is just a slight variation on the low swing style of pendulum cast, its a style of cast that has been around for many years.

I am also a low swing caster there are many variations around, and if executed correctly can all produce big distances :)

Favourite rod at the moment is a daiwa TXNS 142 and abu mag reels

What are you casting with??? and do you cast at tournaments???

KIR ;0)

Nowthen Tel, looks like we are the only casters here. My current set up is the old tz500 with a 6500 mag elite. I tend to favour 5 ounces on the lead front.Dont do the tournaments as my casting isnt so good. Average about 215 at the moment. I didnt cast much last year at all but the years before I used to spend some time with the lads at kirkleatham near Redcar as some of my mates live down that way. There was some good casters there and I learnt a lot but still struggled. A lot of the places we fish its dificult to swing the old lead about so I am looking for a new style that caters more for actual fishing. Do you know if the xcast is a good fishing cast for on the rock ledges.

There are a few at the Guernsey Casting Federation - See link below and go to the forums. There's also a dutch chap who seems au fait with whatever all this stuff is you are talking about!! (I have no idea!!)

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Is there any members of this forum who are keen on casting. I got into casting on a field about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it. There must be casters here. What set ups do you use, favourite styles and what is your longest cast. Im interested in the new x cast and would like to know if anyone is using it for fishing purposes.

Hi Dogger, (ooerr!),

I used to cast regularly but haven't done for two years due to commitments :( . Anyway, it is a great crack when a few of you get together on a warm summer evening in the field having a few chucks. I use a Zzippy Zero + and an Abu 6500 elite (blue one) and have managed 257 yards. It's amazing how the atmospheric conditions can affect the distance gained. I have on occassions cast much further with a lesser wind (and not on top form) than in a stronger wind on good form! Weird! Anyway, I use a classic full pendulum, Mackellow style. Not into tournaments as I can't chuck far enough, and I get bad "oche bottle"!

Hi Dogger, (ooerr!),

I used to cast regularly but haven't done for two years due to commitments :( . Anyway, it is a great crack when a few of you get together on a warm summer evening in the field having a few chucks. I use a Zzippy Zero + and an Abu 6500 elite (blue one) and have managed 257 yards. It's amazing how the atmospheric conditions can affect the distance gained. I have on occassions cast much further with a lesser wind (and not on top form) than in a stronger wind on good form! Weird! Anyway, I use a classic full pendulum, Mackellow style. Not into tournaments as I can't chuck far enough, and I get bad "oche bottle"!

Not into tournaments as I can't chuck far enough, and I get bad "oche bottle"!

Get out there my friend. There are a lot of guys that can't cast your distances. Anyone hitting 257 yards and and you say more at times have a place on the oche, that's a good casting distance by anyones standard.

Not into tournaments as I can't chuck far enough, and I get bad "oche bottle"!

Get out there my friend. There are a lot of guys that can't cast your distances. Anyone hitting 257 yards and and you say more at times have a place on the oche, that's a good casting distance by anyones standard.

Nah, 257 yards is my best. Take a sunny afternoon in June, with a force 4 westerly, I'd be more around the 235-240 yard mark (not far enough :( ). The thing is I don't use highly tuned gear, 10lb line, 125g weights and a stack of magnets, I just use "normal" gear. That way I can chuck it a good way on the beach with three baits and a breeze in my face. Try that with the said tuned gear and you get into all sorts of problems!

I would rather chuck 20 times at 235 yards than 20 times, one of which went far enough to compete, and the rest which snapped off!

Edited by DoubleShotDamo

put it this way dammo if i was casting 235 regularly id be a very happy man.did you get lessons to get that far or just a lot of practise.

ive been meaning to go to a casting day but it always seems to clash with work or a match.one of these days.

Id like to be able to cast further....... If im standing on the promenade with plenty of room I can bang it a good distance OTG.....Un fortunately most marks I fish involve using rotten bottom links and the rocky platforms arent really suited to OTG casting si i have to resort to my back up cast which is a badly performed overhead thump which usually results in a 70yd plop if Im lucky. It doesnt seem to matter how long I spend on the beach slinging lead after lead in practising when it comes to tieing a bait on in and actually fishing I screw it up time after time :P This summer I intend on lots of practice when its warmer......Hands get so cold this time of year casting time and time again :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

257 yds with an average of 230 yds is very goooood, even with my latest gizmo a 16 footer around 150 to 175 yds is the best I can do and thats over clean ground with tapered shockleader and top quality 10lb main line.

Having said that it is a lot further than most of the chaps I see casting. ;):D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist