Tidal Wave - Chevin

Leon Roskilly

Chevin,

Heard that some boats were sunk at Geraldton (400+ K north of Perth), with about 5ft added to the tide along the coast.

Your stuff all OK?

Grave news of the devastation to SE Asia, and the building loss of life there :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news indeed, I suspect its going to be some time before the number of deaths are known. I can't imagine for example how most of those islands in the Maldives have survived, being only a few feet above sea level. There are large number of isolated low lying islands in the Andaman Sea that must have taken the full force of the tidal wave too.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

A terrible tragedy :(

At this time of year almost the entire area affected is popular with tourists, and that far from the epicentre they would not have felt the earthquake itself, the first sign would be the tsunami coming towards them. My thoughts for the victims and their families.....

Did anyone hear about the 8.1 in Antarctica on Friday? It was felt as far away as Tasmania, could it have triggered the latest event? Details available here

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

i'm no geologist, but this would seem to tie in with the "quake storm" theory that one quake can set off another as it was on the indo-pacific plate.

i suppose its no concellation that these are very rare events...12k dead estimated at the moment.

There is a pretty good early warning system in place for the Pacific and Alaska areas. The various governments likely had some warning but might not have a good system in place to pass along the information to the general population.

Cause, monitoring, etc. info with some great pictures.

quote:

The U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USCGS) has a tidal-wave warning service in the Pacific area. Seismograph stations keep a lookout for earthquakes, and pinpoint their exact locations. The USCGS will then calculate the expected arrival time of predicted tsunamis, enabling warnings to be issued hours in advance. This gives people in at-risk areas enough time to evacuate to higher ground.

In addition, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii, USA keeps track of all earthquakes to find their location and size. If they are likely to create tsunamis, all Pacific countries are notified. If tsunami waves are actually detected, the tsunami alerts become tsunami warnings, which allows all those at risk to start taking precautions.

Lucky thing for folks in that area that 9.0 quakes like the Indonesian one on the 26th and in just the wrong spot are rare.

[ 27. December 2004, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

The various governments likely had some warning but might not have a good system in place to pass along the information to the general population.

The problem is that the countries most affected by this event are not signed up for the International Early Warning system administered by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

see http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/27warn.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

At 11:27 today the death toll was reported at 21,000. Incomprehensibly tragic.

[ 27. December 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Hi. Yes damage at Geraldton and a tidal surge here. No damage but the ocean was like a washing machine when I went for my snorkling session this morning.

I have notification of all earthquakes over 5.5 e-mailed to me within minutes of them happenning and yesterday morning I got eleven e-mails within an hour telling me of quakes up to 8.5. I knew then that there was going to be serious loss of life. It is up to over 20,000 now with no word from the Maldives except for the capital - Male. There are 2,000 islands in the group with around 400 of them inhabited. The maximum elevation of a lot of them is around 6 feet! There will be a lot of tourists on those 400 islands. I have visted one of them myself and like most it has internet connection and satellite 'phone connection. I fear that in this case, "no news is bad news!"

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.