My daughter's first fishing trip

MarkV

Sunday 8th September

I thought it was time I took my 6 year old daughter fishing. I bought her a "get it all for £9.99" kit. Whippy rod with unlined, insufficient rings, clunky reel and naff monofil. We went to the lifeboat pier in Bembridge with a bucket of worms left over from my trip to the harbour the day before. "We will go for an hour or so" I told her and bought a car park ticket for 2 hours to give us some setting up time. 2 and a half hours later we run out of bait. She has caught, no let me tell you my total first. I get 2 fish, one bass and one wrasse. She catches 25. Yes, 25 fish, all wrasse. Till the day I die I will NEVER forget the look on her face when she hooked her first fish!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

She had problems in learning to strike when there was a fish. She just started to wind. I try to explain how to lift the end of the rod a bit to strike, but then I think, "what the hell, she seems to be able to hook them" so I leave her to develop her own style. I started by helping her wind the fish up, but then she gets the hang of that and when she had done everything from cast to winding in her smile was even wider. (Can a person smile too far and the top of their head fall off?) :)

I was going back and forth to her to help her out, missed some very nice bites, :( , but I don't care. She is now hooked, I am glad we ran out of bait! We would still be there I think.

Now I get "Dad, can we go fishing at the weekend?" as soon as I get in. If people want to ban fishing, they will have to get past me & now Ellie too, and that I would love to see.......

Guest stevie cop

What a lovely story. I took my four year old girl fishing off of Swanage pier whilst on holiday this summer. I just kitted her out with a crab line as casting and winding in are a bit too much for her at the moment. I took the large hook off and tied on a size 16 freshwater hook and baited it with small strips of sandeel. She caught about 6 what I believe were baby mullet and was absolutely over the moon. I was spinning for Bass and caught nothing of course, but what a treat to see my young daughter catching fish and enjoying it. She is becoming very keen and helps me when I go bait digging and absolutely loves playing with lug and ragworms. She usually "steals" a couple and keeps them for pets!

I too have a daughter, 12 years old and have taken her fishing with me on every occasion suitable from as far back as when she was a baby. Over the years she to has taken a interest and I purchased her 1st rod last year, a similar £10 rod, crap really but she loves it, (thou she has attempted to have a go with mine, She hasnt caught anything but the interest is still there.

She too also took a liking to my bait and kept one of my live peeler crabs as a pet, didnt survive long thou, think she pulled his shell off and probably his legs too

I think it's a great way to spend quality time with your children, plenty of time to talk, relax and have fun and the look on there faces when they catch a fish or think they've caught one is magical. :D . Sadly as yet I havent seen any dads out with their daughters only their son's, maybe they think the girls wont like it but here's three replies already to say otherwise, so come on dads, take your daughters with you, you never know, they might be the one's who catch the tea.

i have two dauhters and two sons my sons are only babys so are to young to come with me (cant wait for that day to come) my 13 year old daughter came with me about 5 times and fell asleep every time but my 9 year old came with me and loved it even when we blanked

Guest NickInTheNorth

Took both my daughters out today for a short session off the nearest pier (30 yards away).

One fish each both very small, Caitlin, who is 5 caught a Scorpion fish. Eilish who is nearly 4 a small pollack.

The look of pleasure on their faces was wonderful to see. Guess what we're doing after school tomorrow? :D

NickInTheNorth:

Enjoying life in the Island of Muck.   :D

Haven't forgotten you Nick - but this August got involved in catching Davy Holt's skate bait for him. Saw Muck from the shore as we took the long scenic road into Lochaline

Next year have Muck in mind to see if I can push up my PB for shore pollack and shore saithe - how is the boat progressing?

Glad to hear your daughters are fishing, I have four grand-daughters in the IOM (two sets of two) and at least one is a confirmed angler - Both sets of parents moved to the IOM for similar reasons you chose Muck - quality of life.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...