Car tax

Andrew

No change to how it is now. From what I understand there is no link to the owner per say....you can tax direct from the buyer section of the registration I understand.

Same as it is now.

Edited by kirisute

What happens if the seller is tardy in informing the DVLA of the sale and the buyer is quick off the mark. Would the buyer be unable to tax the vehicle until the seller has completed his bit, or would the DVLA allow the buyer to tax a vehicle he legally does not own

Why would you "legally not own" the vehicle? If you have a receipt for it, you own it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Why would you "legally not own" the vehicle? If you have a receipt for it, you own it.

How many reciepts do you want printed out ,need any utility bills mister.

Its not clear who own the car ,in bold type on the logbook it states it doesnt nessesary mean the holder of the logbook ,i guess its who is the most successful persuading dvla its them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

How many reciepts do you want printed out ,need any utility bills mister.

Its not clear who own the car ,in bold type on the logbook it states it doesnt nessesary mean the holder of the logbook ,i guess its who is the most successful persuading dvla its them

The person who has a bill of sales for it, mister.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Whats that? You get a sales receipt at a garage or dealers but all you get is mediocre bit of paper out of the logbook your end if its a private sale

The previous owner is supposed to return his bit you can (could?) tax it via your bit ,i presume the insurance company will insure anything yours or not then quibble if you have an accident ?

Perhaps the person whispering in the ear and passing the wads to whatever bright spark thought this up is involved with those one day insurers we see now ,i am not sure how else you could insure a car for a year if it wasnt technically registered to you ?

Technically on the day you buy it and until the dvla put it on their data base (after postie delivers or loses the returned large part of the log book )it belongs to the previous owner

Once its processed the dvla send the previous owner a letter telling them they are officialy not the owner and the new owner gets a new log book which will also have in bold type the possession of the log book does not mean ownership

As for a sales receipt a 12 year old could knock one up nowadays

Proving who you are is almost impossible proving ownership depend on the previous owner or seller proving you are if theres no paper trail

The dvla are renound for making mistakes but strangely in their eyes if "computer says" its binding unless you can prove otherwise and even then doubtful

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Wow 6 pages on a topic about car tax, must be a good interesting topic then, :-D

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Feel free to start a thread ,not music or fussball though please

Whats that? You get a sales receipt at a garage or dealers but all you get is mediocre bit of paper out of the logbook your end if its a private sale

The previous owner is supposed to return his bit you can (could?) tax it via your bit ,i presume the insurance company will insure anything yours or not then quibble if you have an accident ?

Perhaps the person whispering in the ear and passing the wads to whatever bright spark thought this up is involved with those one day insurers we see now ,i am not sure how else you could insure a car for a year if it wasnt technically registered to you ?

Technically on the day you buy it and until the dvla put it on their data base (after postie delivers or loses the returned large part of the log book )it belongs to the previous owner

Once its processed the dvla send the previous owner a letter telling them they are officialy not the owner and the new owner gets a new log book which will also have in bold type the possession of the log book does not mean ownership

As for a sales receipt a 12 year old could knock one up nowadays

Proving who you are is almost impossible proving ownership depend on the previous owner or seller proving you are if theres no paper trail

The dvla are renound for making mistakes but strangely in their eyes if "computer says" its binding unless you can prove otherwise and even then doubtful

More fool you then. One should always demand a receipt for a used car even for a private sale. That is a legal document and is proof of a sale, and proof of ownership.