Car tax

Andrew

A scenario - if a seller flogs a car which is taxed until end August on the 12th August does he get refunded back to end of July and ‘lose’ the 19 days tax? Does the buyer then have to tax the car from the 1st August?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As it works now I believe. You can only claim full months and you can only tax from 1st of the month. So if you sell mid month you can only claim from start of next month amd if you wish to tax halfway through it starts at the beginning of the current month.

I'd just tax it on my phone!

touble is a number of mot stations take a great deal of time updating the passes so your mot slip proves its passed if the mot station takes its time ,its also great to have a paper version of your insuance too as theres many people not atually on the system causing a great deal of bother ,luckily nowadays you can check but if your taking the train hoping to pick up a ar you have just bought your open to disapointment and a great waste of time and money.

the only way i can see around it is those short term insurers perhaps fat envelopes were passed around getting this law through

as usual its th government trusting dodgy technology to make it all work ,as usual it will end in tears you only have to look at a simple thing like a fishing license to see the flws and putting eggs in one basket

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As it works now I believe. You can only claim full months and you can only tax from 1st of the month. So if you sell mid month you can only claim from start of next month amd if you wish to tax halfway through it starts at the beginning of the current month.

So under the new system there's a good chance that each used car sale will generate a double payment to the government for a particular month.

So under the new system there's a good chance that each used car sale will generate a double payment to the government for a particular month.

yup our beloved gov pocket the diference. Not much per car but in bigger scheme quite a lot of free money for them.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

yup our beloved gov pocket the diference. Not much per car but in bigger scheme quite a lot of free money for them.

This report reckons there were 6.7m used car sales during 2011

http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/pnc-2012-usedcar.pdf

If only half of those involved 'double payment' and assuming an average of £15 per sale it works out to be a tidy £50m for doing nothing.

• Like 1

the only difference I can make out is you cant sell a car with the tax; you have to reclaim the tax or purchase new.

the last 3 cars I bought I asked the garage to tax them for me when I picked the car up! so it had 6 months tax on it when I picked the car up.

the last cars I sold: one I sold with the tax on (about 3 months left I think) the other I had just taxed and claimed the difference back (about 4 months)

so the only difference I would have seen is that I would have claimed 3 months tax back from the DVLA and the new owner would have had to tax the car for 6 or 12 months. yes there will be double payments...but that's how its been for a long while anyway!

the rule has always been you can only claim " complete" months if you want a refund...so even if your on the 2nd of September and want to claim the last 6 months you will still only get 5 months back by the time its all processed...

the only question to my mind is that which has been raised: how do you buy a car and drive it away same day?

answer 1: the phone system is 24/7

"From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch."

this bit states how you can do it...so feasibly if you are purchasing 2nd hand from a dealer then once they have your details they can still apply for a tax the vehicle ready for you to drive away on the day of collection?

when ive purchased dealer cars in the past there has always been a few days wait for the car to be "ready"...if that's the case then you can tax the new vehicle during that time.

If its a brand new car then I would foresee a dealership simply having the facility to allow customers to use their internet to buy tax as and when they pick up their new car.

im not a$$ kissing our government; but at the same time im not seeing any major issues here at all whatsoever!

and to me; the ability to pay in monthly instalments instead of big lump sums will be a godsend!

Edited by kirisute