Car tax

Andrew

touble is a number of mot stations take a great deal of time updating the passes so your mot slip proves its passed if the mot station takes its time ,its also great to have a paper version of your insuance too as theres many people not atually on the system causing a great deal of bother ,luckily nowadays you can check but if your taking the train hoping to pick up a ar you have just bought your open to disapointment and a great waste of time and money.

the only way i can see around it is those short term insurers perhaps fat envelopes were passed around getting this law through

as usual its th government trusting dodgy technology to make it all work ,as usual it will end in tears you only have to look at a simple thing like a fishing license to see the flws and putting eggs in one basket

new MOT system is pretty much instant!

ive known situations with applying for tax online where cars have been MOT'd in the morning and taxed and insured happily by lunchtime.

with my insurance (Churchill) the last time I changed cars they just said I was insured on the new car the moment I told them I was getting it and drove away in it! they just asked for a rough time of pick up and job was done!

Edited by kirisute

One nice feature coming in is that you will be able to pay monthly by DD. To be honest, the old system of paper discs is a 1920's system with knobs on, so I'm glad to see it go.

Next I'd like to see the fishing licence dragged into this century - which still works like the original 1920's tax disc scheme, in that they all expire on the same day, but unlike the tax disc which only required you to pay for the remaining months, your fishing licence costs the same amount whether you buy it with 12 months on it or 1 month.

im not a$$ kissing our government; but at the same time im not seeing any major issues here at all whatsoever!

No major issues Kiri but if I understand it correctly the new system does introduce something which didn't previously exist. Consider a private sale of a vehcle which has a couple of months tax left, usually the seller will leave the tax disc on the car and factor it into the selling price, the buyer heads off and re-taxes the car when it runs out. That can't happen under the new system, the seller must get a refund and the buyer must re-tax it before he drives away so when the sale occurs part way through a month the government gets two payments for that month.

There will be a junior minister somewhere deep in the bowels of Parliament who has calculated the value of this side benefit.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

well from what ive read the refund will be automatically done when they receive notification of transfer....whether that will done from day of transfer or day of receipt remains to be seen.

new user must tax vehicle instantly..their choice of either from start of month or from day of purchase.

so: if id bought a car 2nd hand and it didn't have tax and it was mid month: id have to tax it from 1st of month or just tax on day of purchase: no different

if the car id wanted to buy had 2 months tax: yes it could be factored onto the sale price. all the new system is doing is forcing the seller into a refund for their tax duty. IF they pay by direct debit then I don't think there will be a refund because the direct debit (according to the site) stops automatically on transfer of ownership. its only if you have pre paid 6 months or a year will a refund be issued automatically.

in either scenario there isn't a significant difference to the given scenario to how it stands today. the gov still get a half a month either way from both people.....

the only situation that wont happen now is bolting on an extra few quid for a few months tax already on the vehicle. in that scenario the seller wont get as much cash out of a refund as they would from selling the car with tax.

the side benefit your referring too already occurs! and has been for numerous years!! its there....you can only refund a full month of tax and you can only tax from start of the month! either forwards or backwards!

new MOT system is pretty much instant!

ive known situations with applying for tax online where cars have been MOT'd in the morning and taxed and insured happily by lunchtime.

with my insurance (Churchill) the last time I changed cars they just said I was insured on the new car the moment I told them I was getting it and drove away in it! they just asked for a rough time of pick up and job was done!

if it were so good the anpr cameras would be fining those with no mot and raking in a huge amount but unfortunately the system isnt like the insurance system which has holes itself ,i forsee many innocent people in court unable to prove they had insurance when they were caught on camera which is easy to prove with a bit of paper with a time and date on .technology only works when its infallible unfortunately it isnt as we see evertime the gov pay crooks multi millions to run it for them

its not being used beause its a good idea its being implemented because people get bribed to pretend it is ,you an seewhem your tax disk runs out many will forget because soon you will not and the government will rake far more in fines than in car tax

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Technology must never work then, since no technology is infallible. Do you really think that every other human being on the planet apart from you is on the take chesters? When am I going to get my wadge of cash ? I could do with a new PC.

It would be better if we were like the French, who abolished Vehicle Excise Duty for private vehicles about eight years ago.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

If it's supposed to be about emissions they should abandon the whole bloody thing and put it on fuel. My Elise costs £280 a year to tax and does about 5000 miles a year @ 30 miles per gallon. A rep doing 50,000 miles a year @ 50 miles per gallon in a diesel Audi A4 pays £30 a year in tax.

He's emitting 2680kg of CO2 a year, I'm emitting 385kg.

Getting rid of vehicle excise duty has been mooted ever since I started driving in the 1960's. All the arguments in favour (no one avoids it, more mileage more tax, and all visitors contribute) to me outweigh the arguments against (none, except maybe a few civil servants jobs go)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Technology must never work then, since no technology is infallible. Do you really think that every other human being on the planet apart from you is on the take chesters? When am I going to get my wadge of cash ? I could do with a new PC.

It would be better if we were like the French, who abolished Vehicle Excise Duty for private vehicles about eight years ago.

You will get your wadge when you can give someone some means of making a great deal more than the wadge they give you.

As you have never had a wadge then you have little to benefit others and yes the world revolves on money and yes the majority of decisions are made with it in mind

Do you think commerce runs on nothing more than good will and peace to all mankind?

Why do you think the government and its minions keep wasting billions on failed IT and buying things at a higher cost than they are worth ? Back handers nothing else

If someone in power wastes money they are on the take or not suitable for the post ,looking at their bank account ,lifestyle etc will show ,i think all public officials bank accounts should be online after all they can very easily see ours from mere secretaries on the council upwards .

We are not in a democratic country otherwise everyone would have a say on how the countries run ,we do not ,if the masses could see public officials books we could spot the dodgy ones and not elect them ,unfortunately anyone who joins willingly a corrupt system IS corrupt there are none in power that are not

If you vote then you are corrupt ,if you work in a corrupt company you are corrupt ,merely by knowing it ,if madge down the canteen is pinching a few tea bags and you know it your as guilty as madge ,if you dont know shes doing it then in law you are still corrupt ,ignorence is no excuse ,have a teabag audit and prosecute to make an example

As for myself i live in a corrupt country therefore i am corrupt

As for france abolishing car tax you will find they merely tax them in some other way undoubtedly a way that takes more than before ,governments generally only take more than they give ,no system would work if it didnt

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson