Car tax

Andrew

As I read it, the gov picks up an extra months tax every time a car changes hands. unless you do the sale at exactly midnight on the last day of the month!

Mat

How? Exactly how? Unless I'm utterly bloody stoooooopid this is how it reads. (Which I am known to be! Lol)

As it stands now!

I buy a car today: 29th of September!

If I choose to tax it immediately and drive I have to start my tax at the beginning of the current month! I lose nearly a month of tax!

Or I can wait and get tax for start of next month. I pay and get a full 6 months etc

If I sell a car and claim my tax back I can only claim from start of current month!

The ONLY difference is your claim is now automatic, and the buyer has to buy new tax!

You just won't be able to sell your tax with your vehicle! The dvla will give a refund back to start of current month, and new owner will pay for new tax. So the Gov is getting EXACTLY the same they would have if the situation was as i said above!

The only difference to that is if I buy a car today with tax left on it. But I will have paid a premium for that tax to the seller depending on how long was left.

All the system does is stop that!

So instead of paying the seller for tax I just pay the gov! And the seller gets a refund.

But how much they get hasn't changed from a scenario that can happen as the rules are now!

I believe the extra cost of 6 months tax is being reduced from 10% to 5 though....but if you choose to pay monthly I think you pay an extra 5% for the pleasure.

Edited by kirisute

How? Exactly how? Unless I'm utterly bloody stoooooopid this is how it reads. (Which I am known to be! Lol)

As it stands now!

If I choose to tax it immediately and drive I have to start my tax at the beginning of the current month! I lose nearly a month of tax!

Or I can wait and get tax for start of next month. I pay and get a full 6 months etc

If I sell a car and claim my tax back I can only claim from start of current month!

The ONLY difference is your claim is now automatic, and the buyer has to buy new tax!

You just won't be able to sell your tax with your vehicle! The dvla will give a refund back to start of current month, and new owner will pay for new tax. So the Gov is getting EXACTLY the same they would have if the situation was as i said above!

The only difference to that is if I buy a car today with tax left on it. But I will have paid a premium for that tax to the seller depending on how long was left.

All the system does is stop that!

So instead of paying the seller for tax I just pay the gov! And the seller gets a refund.

But how much they get hasn't changed from a scenario that can happen as the rules are now!

I believe the extra cost of 6 months tax is being reduced from 10% to 5 though....but if you choose to pay monthly I think you pay an extra 5% for the pleasure.

The point is Kiri that under the existing system sellers and buyers don't refund and re-tax with such precision (particularly private sales). The seller sees a couple of months remaining as attractive to buyers and buyers see it as a way of driving the car as soon as they've bought it, the government gets twelve months road tax irrespective of ownership. The new system will stop that and unless the timing is right (nobody will bother to make that effort) an additional months revenue will be generated.

It's a subtle shift, people are now being taxed rather than the car.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As it stands now!

OK you buy my car from me on 29th September

I can claim back only full months unused tax, so I can claim back from 1st october to whenever my tax runs out. - I've paid tax for the whole of September

You as the new owner have to tax the car for the whole of the current month before you can legally drive it away from my house. , so have to pay from 1st September

We've BOTH paid to tax the same car for the month of September

Mat

Mat

The mps have to pay for their chauffeur driven limmos somehow man

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

OK you buy my car from me on 29th September

I can claim back only full months unused tax, so I can claim back from 1st october to whenever my tax runs out. - I've paid tax for the whole of September

You as the new owner have to tax the car for the whole of the current month before you can legally drive it away from my house. , so have to pay from 1st September

We've BOTH paid to tax the same car for the month of September

Mat

Which is EXACTLY as it is now! If you sell your car without tax!

The new system hasn't changed it!

The difference is you can't sell the tax with your car!

The month has always been there...it could just be avoided by selling on your tax!

Now it can only be avoided by either waiting til new month to tax or buying at start of month.

Edited by kirisute

And whats so wrong about selling a car with tax. Its taxed isnt it. This move is just to be greedy someone sitting at a desk seen an opportunity to draw in more cash through people selling used cars who cant be arsed going through the bother of getting a bit of a refund on tax.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Surely if an ANPR camera catches your newly bought car before the paperwork reaches Swansea it will still register as taxed, mot'd and insured to the previous owner. Only when the sellersinformation is processed will you be the new owner

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Tax and insurance are registered on the system instantly....so they should pick up the correct details....mot is linked to car not the owner so that remains registered to the car whoever owns it.

Only registered keeper would be different on their systems but of course you will still have the temporary new registered keeper slip for proof.

The remains of the logbook you send in could take several days to reach the dvla so they wouldnt know it was sold so in their eyes its registered to them until they get the paper and backdate the sale to the right date by this time the new owner can do what he wishes ,the seller only has the info the buyer gives him to who it really is ,ofcourse if the buyer isnt who he says it is it all falls on the shoulders of the seller as it always has.as it says in bold print the form does not prove ownership so as proof its useless for both sides when it comes to the crunch

If the buyer gets anpr'd fifty times its going to be the seller who cops the fines as it has always been unless the seller can prove it was the buyer in the car

Unfortunately with whispers in their ears from interested parties the government think because they have free ipads everyone has the technology the future mishandling of government schemes needs to work ,unfortunatly by choice or purse its not going to be so ,i cannot even buy a parking ticket for one second without giving blackberry a fiver to do so and i will use money just like i always have.why should the government force me to buy something i dont want ,hardly democracy

The scheme has so many flaws its unbelievable it could ever work ,not only does the buyer have to in some way get insurance on the sellers doorstep he (in law ) cannot even drive to the local post office to tax it .

I am sure the miniscule amount of crashes of buyers on the way home from buying a car in no way measures up to the vast sums being made for the few hours the car is driven that formerly was uninsured ,now it could be driven untaxed to bolster the fines ,car tax applies to the vehicle like the mot not the owner the way its obtained belongs to a person

I think myself car tax should be applicable to the person ,you can only drive one car at a time so a new form of tax at a set high rate should be introduced so you could drive any car you own and insurance the same you will find if you own two cars you are paying for the other car thats sitting at home when your in the other one so you are paying twice as much for the same thing

The powers to be love technology and data it means they can flog it to anyone with the money to buy it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Which is EXACTLY as it is now! If you sell your car without tax!

The new system hasn't changed it!

The difference is you can't sell the tax with your car!

The month has always been there...it could just be avoided by selling on your tax!

Now it can only be avoided by either waiting til new month to tax or buying at start of month.

Which in turn creates more revenue as it happens on EVERY car that is sold not just a handful that are sold without tax. The majority of used cars are sold WITH tax currently therefore avoiding the double paymentpayment.

The change you can't see is the fact that there is no avoiding it and the government can guarentee free cash their way for EVERY used car sale now

• Like 1

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88