Car tax

Andrew

When I bought the Saab, I was able to transfer the insurance online on my phone and drive the car away there and then. That's how it should work with the tax too, I remember buying a car years ago with no tax on it and having to go hunting for a post office to stick some on it!

it will work fine if the technology works ,it the dvla do not know the car has been sold ,the insurance company does not its been sold and the tax system does not know then you will not get stopped so why bother?.

if all this technology depends on a paper trail and someone hanging on the phone to stop their insurance then the buyer would already be at home without doing anything.

if asked he had the car on a lorry ,if anpr'd the car would appear to be like it was a few hours before

if the car wasnt taxed when it was sold or uninsured then it would be just like before ,the mot systen obviasly doesnt work as its not anpr'd for only tax and insurance and if its been stopped before and the driver unlicenced it flags the vehicle on that

there was talk of making it mandatory to insure all vehicles used or not but i presume collectors griped so it was quietly dropped no doubt after several million quid was paid to the "advisors" who dream up such crap

theres a new war creeping up bad news will be hidden while folks talk about this

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

therefore the majority of sales will at the time of sale be insured so if the seller dallies telling the insurer its not needed and the insurer dallies removing it from the database then the buyer will be safely back home.

sorn is ok for collectors at least the dvla warn you its getting near to redo it ,ofcourse if they stopped doing that they could rake in plenty of money for filling their jags and cleaning their moats

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

so no doubt as usual a great deal of money will be wasted catching a few daring drivers then quietly shelved for some other half thought out idea

you could drive it untaxed as well unless some magic button on the car untaxes it in real-time

we see from the rod licence the government agencies cannot be trusted the far bigger dvla system is far far worse and will get far far worser

Edited by chesters1

ownership changes in a 24hr period the logbook only uses a day not minutes

the gov will be getting two months tax either way for the equivilent of one ,as mentioned if the car is sold on say the 28th of a month the seller wont get that months money back and the new owner will be forced to backdate it to the beggining of the month he bought it, in the past the tax expired on the last day of the month ,the seller would still not get that month back but the owner could legally start it from the beggining of the next month saving buying last months tax just for a day ot two of use if the new owner sorned it for a couple of days and not used it i suspect the gov would be out of pocket sending the sorn confirmation by post,the owner could just tax it a few days later and even then i doubt the car would show up either way making half of the new rules pointles

the fact is if you buy a car on any day but the first of the month or the last day of the preceding month (not any otherday in the preceding month ,)you will be only getting 5 months tax for the cost of 6

if you find out the figures for cars bought that have to backdate the tax thats a big bunch of free money to subsidise travel costs of those that impliment it

Edited by chesters1

The remains of the logbook you send in could take several days to reach the dvla so they wouldnt know it was sold so in their eyes its registered to them until they get the paper and backdate the sale to the right date by this time the new owner can do what he wishes ,the seller only has the info the buyer gives him to who it really is ,ofcourse if the buyer isnt who he says it is it all falls on the shoulders of the seller as it always has.as it says in bold print the form does not prove ownership so as proof its useless for both sides when it comes to the crunch

If the buyer gets anpr'd fifty times its going to be the seller who cops the fines as it has always been unless the seller can prove it was the buyer in the car

Unfortunately with whispers in their ears from interested parties the government think because they have free ipads everyone has the technology the future mishandling of government schemes needs to work ,unfortunatly by choice or purse its not going to be so ,i cannot even buy a parking ticket for one second without giving blackberry a fiver to do so and i will use money just like i always have.why should the government force me to buy something i dont want ,hardly democracy

The scheme has so many flaws its unbelievable it could ever work ,not only does the buyer have to in some way get insurance on the sellers doorstep he (in law ) cannot even drive to the local post office to tax it .

I am sure the miniscule amount of crashes of buyers on the way home from buying a car in no way measures up to the vast sums being made for the few hours the car is driven that formerly was uninsured ,now it could be driven untaxed to bolster the fines ,car tax applies to the vehicle like the mot not the owner the way its obtained belongs to a person

I think myself car tax should be applicable to the person ,you can only drive one car at a time so a new form of tax at a set high rate should be introduced so you could drive any car you own and insurance the same you will find if you own two cars you are paying for the other car thats sitting at home when your in the other one so you are paying twice as much for the same thing

The powers to be love technology and data it means they can flog it to anyone with the money to buy it

I'd rather they just got rid of it all together.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What happens if the seller is tardy in informing the DVLA of the sale and the buyer is quick off the mark. Would the buyer be unable to tax the vehicle until the seller has completed his bit, or would the DVLA allow the buyer to tax a vehicle he legally does not own

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not