The Autumn Perch Thread

Steve Walker

I am on the island Chris if you fancy meeting up and we could walk the canal from here up to calcot and have a go in the lake as well ,give me a call if you have not made other plans

Thanks for the invite Steve but I thought I might try the canal downstream of Thatcham Station first, I haven't fished it for ages.

I'll call later.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks for the invite Steve but I thought I might try the canal downstream of Thatcham Station first, I haven't fished it for ages.

I'll call later.

Saw a few good perch in the reeds bit just before the point where the backstream joins again the other week

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Can I claim mine from a couple of weeks back /? only coz I want to be leading rusty early doors in the comp....wonder if he caught any today..... driftwood blows through a desserted town cue spaghetti western music......

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'll call later.

How did you get on Rusty ?? - thinking about giving it a go soon.

P.

How did you get on Rusty ?? - thinking about giving it a go soon.

P.

Not very well Paul, the canal was heaving with fry so I think my jig head was facing stiff competition. There aren't many features along that stretch so it was a case of walking and casting every few yards, I covered all of it but with no joy. CP told me that the willows had been trimmed back but I didn't expect it to be that severe.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I bribed the CART workers to hammer it thus removing your banker spot lol ,only joking I did seem a tad severe but guess with there budgets trimmed they may be thinking hit them hard and not so often only a guess though .

So in this seasons JV vs Rusty match up I stll have the bragging rites lalala

Chris Plumb is banned form competing in this due to the good old rule 22b

Edited by JV44
  • Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I got a few hours in on the river this evening. I fished the swim where I had the good fish dropshotting. I can report that the river clearly has a good head of perch and that they were having it this evening, but I had none over half a pound. I used up my little pot of lobs in no time and had to resort to livebaits. Luckily the river is currently stuffed with bits, but I had only taken one rod. I ended up tying a length of light line with a hook and a single maggot to my perch hook every time I needed a new bait. Lost one decent fish, on a livebait. Didn't see it, but it felt a good size.

Edited by Steve Walker

Autumn and Winter are my favourite time for Perch fish, but not being very mobile these days I tend to fish small section of the Lea Navigation, using baits such as worms, prawns and live baits.

Recently I have noticed huge numbers of Perch fry in an adjoining gravel pit and wondered if I should be trying this pit for larger Perch, I have fished the pit a lot over the years, but I don't remember it having a history of Big Perch ?