The Autumn Perch Thread

Steve Walker

Autumn and Winter are my favourite time for Perch fish, but not being very mobile these days I tend to fish small section of the Lea Navigation, using baits such as worms, prawns and live baits.

Recently I have noticed huge numbers of Perch fry in an adjoining gravel pit and wondered if I should be trying this pit for larger Perch, I have fished the pit a lot over the years, but I don't remember it having a history of Big Perch ?

Got to be worth a stab Bob and if you are who I think you are you have a fair album of big perch to your credit .

Took the yak out yesterday with the jigging rod at henely dontcha ya no yup yup Rupert city with the scullers and big gin palaces ....drifted the whole length vertical jigging for nowt lots of weed hard work .....targeting the weir pool today that is where we should have gone yesterday methinks Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

We've been picking a few perch up on the jigs at Rutland, including a couple of 2lb+ fish. They seem to be showing there in more numbers which is good - when you look at the size of the place and the amount of food, anything is possible... No photos unfortunately, when you're bringing them up from deep water you need to get them back ASAP.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Back to my favourite perch swim today for a late afternoon session. Had some small ones and a few [former] signals before hooking into a very nicely conditioned perch of 2lb 10oz;

DSCN1232_zps19459fb4.jpg

I was just looking forward to the dusk session when Georgia and her chums showed up with canoes. Georgia was a young lady of ample proportions and clearly an inexperienced canoeist. In trying to mount her ‘ride’ she fell into the canal, fortunately she was wearing a buoyancy aid and wasn’t in any danger but the group found the situation hilarious and spent ten minutes trying to haul her out. Finally the one with a brain cell suggested she swim into the lock and use the ladder, I then had to witness the whole routine again but this time she got into the canoe and HMS Georgia paddled off into the distance.

I doubt it spoilt the fishing to be honest, canal perch put up with boats and disturbance all the time but I was a bit miffed.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Back to my favourite perch swim today for a late afternoon session. Had some small ones and a few [former] signals before hooking into a very nicely conditioned perch of 2lb 10oz;

DSCN1232_zps19459fb4.jpg

I was just looking forward to the dusk session when Georgia and her chums showed up with canoes. Georgia was a young lady of ample proportions and clearly an inexperienced canoeist. In trying to mount her ‘ride’ she fell into the canal, fortunately she was wearing a buoyancy aid and wasn’t in any danger but the group found the situation hilarious and spent ten minutes trying to haul her out. Finally the one with a brain cell suggested she swim into the lock and use the ladder, I then had to witness the whole routine again but this time she got into the canoe and HMS Georgia paddled off into the distance.

I doubt it spoilt the fishing to be honest, canal perch put up with boats and disturbance all the time but I was a bit miffed.

Congrats on the Perch mate and the rest is just the drama of fishing the canal,must remember to pay georgia

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Got to be worth a stab Bob and if you are who I think you are you have a fair album of big perch to your credit .

Took the yak out yesterday with the jigging rod at henely dontcha ya no yup yup Rupert city with the scullers and big gin palaces ....drifted the whole length vertical jigging for nowt lots of weed hard work .....targeting the weir pool today that is where we should have gone yesterday methinks Steve

Thanks JV

I reckon I will give it a try, I'm not very mobile, so drop shotting or lure fishing is out of the question.

A few yards from the car park is the best I can do, but I reckon I can catch a few small fish and give them a try along with Maggots, worms and prawn.

You never know what monsters might be lurking in a big old pit (110 Acre's) ?

Bob

It felt very perchy on my way into work this morning. I am tempted to go back to a little stream I used to fish for big perch this autumn, see if they (or their offspring) are still there... I've mainly been fishing the Thames for the last few years, but the lure of more intimate waters is growing again.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It felt very perchy on my way into work this morning. I am tempted to go back to a little stream I used to fish for big perch this autumn, see if they (or their offspring) are still there... I've mainly been fishing the Thames for the last few years, but the lure of more intimate waters is growing again.

Yes, don't wait until Feb/March when you're guaranteed a spawn laden football, much better to catch a lean, heavy fish before Christmas. JV44 has set the benchmark so far for this thread with a 3-04, who's going to beat that before Santa shows up?

DSCN1220_zpsf8e026f7.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I had another session today, but unlike last time when they were definitely having it, today they weren't. I fished livebaits on a CD rig with a stiff fluoro link and alarm & drop off indicator, leaving me free to trot for bait with the other rod. I has two bites on slightly larger baits than I have been using - a drop back which thumped hard twice and came off (suspect good perch) and a one-tone screamer which turned out disappointingly to be a jack. Might try again tomorrow. Perch are funny beasts, they seem to hold meetings to decide whether everyone is going to feed ravenously at once!