The Autumn Perch Thread

Steve Walker

I ended up using 6lb, it's the cheapish drennan fly tippet stuff on small green spools - on the thick and stiff side for the BS but for this use that's a bonus. (Before that I tried the 6.6lb grand riverge stuff which is lovely, but too soft and supple for this.)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well Ive been up on the Thames since start of this season. Now its starting to cool down Im going to start thinking about the Perch. The rivers done some VERY big fish in recent years so exciting stuff. Not got any of my boats up here yet so going to be limited to the bank for rest of this year. Be gratefull if any fellow ANers who know the river in the Kingston to Weighbridge area could PM me some info on areas and tactics as its just so much water I just don't know where to start!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Perch are funny beasts, they seem to hold meetings to decide whether everyone is going to feed ravenously at once!

They are aren't they, it feels ok'ish today so I'm going for a dusk session a bit later. Only got 14 healthy lobs in the fridge though so if they're active I'll have to resort to tearing them in half.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Went to the Thames today, more to scout out new chub swims for the winter but took a lure rod just in case. Turns out that was a good choice:

Didn't have any scales so who knows what it weighed!

post-560-0-17491500-1410716038_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-93922600-1410716226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kappa
  • Like 1

I went out for the latter part of the afternoon today and had a mixed lot on worms. Nothing big but I weighed a couple of the perch out of curiosity, 1 lb 5oz and 1lb 3oz. Great looking fish. Unfortunately I had one smaller one that took the hook right down and I had to cut the line. I was on the feeder about 40/50 yards out, after the cast I tightened down the line, as soon I finished this the tip pulled round and I struck straight away only to find the hook out of sight. My hook link was only a foot long. Has anyone got any advice?

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

It is an impressive perch, I've come unstuck trying to guess the weight of this species before so I won't try (at least 3lb :)). Bright red fins, must be a refugee from the Kennet.

I didn't fare so well, four fish but only one needing the net and I doubt it made a pound. All caught in a short window before darkness.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back