SAVE OUR RAG AND LUG WORM

sam-cox

In places succh as St Peters flats and Southend both the lug and rag worms have been almost totally dug out.

This is not only bad for the worms but also damages the sea bird populations that feed on the worms.

The foreshore at Southend at one time was made up of lovely weed covered muscle beds, now its the odd patch of muscles and is mostly digging scares.

The point Im making is that although I agree with conservation (and have lots of respect for those who campaign hard on the bass management plan)and would like to protect all sea fish from commercial explotation, we realy need to get our own house in order as well as campaigning to save sharks and bass.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed and for those who buy their ragworm it is for the most part farmed.

Lug is another issue, as far as I know it is not farmed, now there's a thought :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

quote:

how long does it take for a lugworm to be big enough to hook
depends if your first in the queu at the tackle shop or last

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not sure about lug, but I was told rag have a one year liofe span.

The main point Im trying to get is we all should be looking at the whole picture.

I do find the fore shore at Southend resembling a battle field very sad.

These campaignes to save our sports fish are excelent, but take lots of time effort and money.It is easy for the people on the front line to get despondant with the slow progress made when deeling in pollertics and law.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

sam-cox:

Not sure about lug, but I was told rag have a one year liofe span.

Dont think so, well not with King rag anyway. I had one in the aquarium for nearly a year and a half before I released it.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

In my experience Sam the people that are most upset by declining worm beds are the ones that use worms on a regular basis and as such cause the problem. What will you do personally to improve stocks ?? It may be necessary to stop using dug worms and buy only farmed rag - will you do this ?? can you afford to ?? (dont think I can).

Lets have actions not words

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.