Where these Bass taken home?

kishkash

whether they were returned or not I don't agree with the amount of undersize fish photos in a certain magazine as it gives people the wrong idea. I for one will be no longer purchasing the offending magazine :nono:

Every sea angling mag shows pic's of undersized fish - it makes up the majority of anglers catch nowadays, especialy from the shore...

People are not doing wrong catching undersized fish, as far as im aware its not illegal! People still get pleasure catching smaller fish; granted not the same pleasure as a double figure beast, but none the less...

If you are telling me you dont ever catch undersized fish, or have never scaled down tackle to catch smaller fish to save a misserable blank, then good luck to you...

:rolleyes:

If your another one in the bass angling appreciation fraternity making personal referance - you have picked the wrong guy. You ever heard the phrase 'water off a ducks back'?

:)

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

Every sea angling mag shows pic's of undersized fish - it makes up the majority of anglers catch nowadays, especialy from the shore...

People are not doing wrong catching undersized fish, as far as im aware its not illegal! People still get pleasure catching smaller fish; granted not the same pleasure as a double figure beast, but none the less...

If you are telling me you dont ever catch undersized fish, or have never scaled down tackle to catch smaller fish to save a misserable blank, then good luck to you...

:rolleyes:

If your another one in the bass angling appreciation fraternity making personal referance - you have picked the wrong guy. You ever heard the phrase 'water off a ducks back'?

:)

If you read properly what I said you will see that I did not say anything about catching undersized fish but photographing them and a magazine that continually shows undersized fish is setting a very bad example indeed. Also I would rather blank than target obviously undersized fish. What happens when you deliberately target smaller fish" as you call them " (we call them undersized here)and they swallow the hook too far? I think we all know the answer to that one :angry:as you're so big on the sayings I presume you obviously know "ignorance is bliss" Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I have to agree with Richi on this one - not the catching of, but the glorification and publication of the little one.

By all means use the pictures of the small fish - but how much better an example it would have set if the picture had been taken of the pair being returned - perhaps with one on each hand held by the lower jaw, just in the wtare and you lookingover your shoulder at the camera - then you would have been making a very bold statement - "here they go, we had fun catchng these little fallas, but they went back quite happily". The picture alone would have sent that message out. Unfortunately, however unintentioned, you holding them has raised the first question on this thread - so there was an ambiguity simply about the pose adopted with the fish. It is a boring picture which has had no thought put into it. If you are going to write fishing features, and good luck to you, then try and raise the standard a bit. The photography used in ALL the magazines, is a disgrace and it needn't be. Not gorey, just plain boring and without much thought put into it - yake a loo at some of the French magazines and the US ones - same subject, just treated very differently with a more thoughtful approach taken to the collation of the material.

I used to do a lot of fishing features - then when the rates dropped to the miserly level they are now (with journos being sent out with a camera to save costs) I stopped. I do a few, but it isn't for the money I can tell you. I get more taking ONE transport feature photography only than I get from 3 fishing features - copy and photographs - and then I get expenses on top. That is why the standard of fishig journalism in this country has gone to the dogs - it isn't the editors' fault, it is the publishers. They just keep cutting the budgets and make poor fools like you put their hands in their pockets - do you realise you are actually subsidising the magazine for the production of those features? 15 years ago there was sufficient budget to allow you to take a professional photographer along for 3 days to produce a feature like that one - compare that to how much you got now....!

Anyway, back to the original theme - please, just be a bit more imaginitive about the pictures you take and publish - just stood grinning with a couple of tiddlers however they were caught - isn't exactly eye catching. A more imaginitive pose could have worked so much better - same fish, same location, totally different result - and one that would have engendered respect.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

All valid comments Simon, and I totally agree that its a shame the publishers have pushed the budgets so far the photograghy is so neglected.

However, in Shaun's defence, this is an old photograph and I don't think it was taken with the intention of publication .... it just ended up that way as it was a cheap way to make an article........ back to publishers budgets again :(

Edited by spanner

Simon,

Thanks for your reply, however i feel i have a right to defence on this matter...

Who the hell are you to tell me how it should and shouldnt be done???

Consider this: Im 18 years old, i have NOBODY bar mysef to go out and take photographs, so i rekon that i have been doing a good job in getting published at all. Bare in mind im doing this single handed, how do you propose i take these ideal situation photopgraphs.

I prosume by your rantings that you have taken dozens of these shots, where bass are leaping back into the water, winking at you on the way down with gleeming flanks.

As you rightly pointed out, the days of paid photographers folowing you around are gone. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet here; given that what ive done so far has pretty much been solo, i feel i have done good job in getting any pictures of myself published.

Now i guess you could use the argument that i should just take photo's of other people, what do i do (as is usually the case) when im on my own?? Should i carry on, get published, annoy a few strange jealous bass anglers in the process, or simply give up???

Im am too determined to simply fade into the darkness because other people dont agree - i guess thats what sort's the men from the boys at the end of the day?

As for getting respect; im quite sure ive earned that already... Do you think i care that a narrow minded group of anglers disagree?

You certainly dont need to explain the politics to me, i know exactly how it is, and accept it as i know what will come...

Im going to be blunt here guys, if you dont like me - tough cookies. Ill be "just stood grinning" for a time to come yet :)

P.S, Pauls last post hit the nail on the head! Those who know me well will have noticed a few more hairs on the chin since then...

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

Here we go.

I wondered how long it would take b4 this forum became like the sea fishing forum :lol::lol::huh:

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

This thread started as a general Sea fishing item, how about it being transferred to the General Seafishing section and then people can argue to their hearts content.

I come to this forum for info on Kayaking, let's not sour it with the same disagreements that permeate the Seafishing one.

Ped

Spur dog - what makes you think I am jealous?

If you want to start trading punches over publishing credits here is my opening salvo:

I get commissioned to produce 7 front covers each month, and accompanying DPS at the same time. I have in excess of 1000 front covers to my name, I have regular slots in magazines in this country, Italy, France, Norway, Germany, Sweden, and the USA.

If I knew how to post the pictures I could show you pictures that I have managed to get of myself fishing, catching, releasing - but as you are so arrogant I am not going to help you by telling you how it was done. If you had been a little more civil I would have been glad to help - and might even have offered to help you out.

As you said: tough cookie. So get on with it - but don't expect that being in the pages of magazine makes you anything more than you. If you cannot raise your game then no, you won't be there for many years to come. Sorry, but the people who pay your wages - those who buy the magazine - will not put up with tripe for very long. I have seen it all before. Perhaps you should reflect a bit on those that have moved over to give you the slot - it is because they are not prepared to work for these publications that you have a look in - those pictures have not been published on merit, but because there is nothing else to take their place. You just have to hear the complants about the standard of the british magaiznes to know that.

My SUGGESTIONS to you were to try and help you raise yourself above the run of the mill contributors. But you do want you want, if you can't see the benefit of being the one person out there to provide GOOD photography (which all the editors would be falling over themselves for) could give you an edge. Staying as you are without a desire to raise your standard, but just supply "good enough" will not do it.

I would have thought that at the tender age of 18 you would have been ready to soak up all the advice and help you could. But like every generation, you think you can conquer the world. Good luck!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Let's put an end to this one, as it seems to have gone off tangent and a tad personal.

Shame, as the original question was answered promptly and the ensuing discussion could, if approached in a less heated manner, provide a very interesting read indeed.

How about somebody starting a discussion on angling photography in either the sea or photography forum, everyone taking a moment out to calm down, and then approaching it anew?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE