Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, 3-24-06

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Fishing on the Indian River Lagoon Coast this past week was difficult for the most part, due to our typical spring weather patterns. On the nice days, fishing opportunities abound, and on the blustery ones, fishing is tough. In March, the tough angling days generally out number the nice ones, 2 to 1.

The major story this past few weeks has been the cobia and tripletail run near-shore. On Monday the sea conditions were fishable in the morning, and good number of cobia and tripletail were taken between 40 and 50 feet of water along the lagoon coast between Port Canaveral and Sebastian Inlet. I was honored to once again join my good friend Scott Bradford aboard the Afternoon Delight, accompanied by Captain Butch McCoy and Mark Blythe who boated his first cobia in the 35 to 40-pound range.

Most of the fish were concentrated within bait pods (pogies), and as the wind and sea conditions progressively increased, catching opportunities decreased. On a positive note, the number of concentrated bait pods seems to have increased this year, which should make for a good early summer near-shore kingfish run, and good tarpon bite during the summer..

Today, we wisely postponed my charter for tomorrow (northwest 15 to 20), as another front has again kicked up the seas and eliminated offshore opportunities for the next few days. Once conditions improve, anglers shouldn’t hesitate to take advantage remaining run of cobia before they move north. I also spotted sizable bait pods moving north this afternoon from the south end of Playlinda Beach, so those of you who fish from Ponce Inlet, get ready.

On the inside, redfish schools have and will continue to form up and move into the skinny water, but again choppy water conditions have made sight fishing difficult. Additionally, the trout bite has shown improvement with several quality fish finding their way into my boat last week, so look for some larger sea trout to begin forming up for the spawn in April. Also, the new troll/poll zone has been implement on Tiger Shoals in the Mosquito Lagoon, and be aware that the north marker in the running channel was installed in the wrong location, missing the Mail Box cut by 50 feet. In addition, the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge has renewed their commitment to enforcement of the fishing permits required by all anglers fishing within the boundaries of the refuge, so go online or stop by any of the informational signs at the entrance of the refuge and fill one out.

In closing, it is time to mark your calendars for the Coastal Angler Magazine’s Boating and Fishing Expo, to be held in Melbourne on May 19th , 20th, and 21st.

As always, if you have any questions or need information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 office

407-416-1187 on the water

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank