GOOD ANGLING

sam-cox

What do you concider good angling? I was discusing this with angling pals the other day. My perspective is that in order to have the quality of fishing to justlfy a sea angling lisence I would like to catch a fish of 5lb or above from the shore every other trip.

I dont think this is unreasnable and would be interested in others on this forums thoughts!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you concider good angling? I was discusing this with angling pals the other day. My perspective is that in order to have the quality of fishing to justlfy a sea angling lisence I would like to catch a fish of 5lb or above from the shore every other trip.

I dont think this is unreasnable and would be interested in others on this forums thoughts!

Hi Sam, I've just popped in from the coarse forum, I do a bit of salt water dangling on occasions though.

We pay a licence as you know, but I wouldn't expect to be guaranteed a fish every time I went. Just being there enjoying the day, the company or the wildlife are sometimes enough to make an enjoyable day. I'm not often waterlicked, and enjoy every fish I catch. I have favourites, but not to the exclusion of all others. I'm just as happy getting a few dace, as I am a decent chub or barbel. I don't decry anyone who fishes for a specific type of fish, but I think they can miss out on a lot by being so selective. Just my opinion mind.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Sam,

I think good angling and paying for a sea license are two different things but since the topic is Good Angling I'll go on that one.

For me it is being able to go fishing, relax, decent company, no screaming kids, bite or two every now and then and if a fish comes along then that just tops the day off.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Nobody can guarantee a fish every other trip sam...... I thnk if I was guaranteed a fish of 5lb plus every other trip id gladly pay £100 per year

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

I have said before that I would pay a license fee for see angling when and only when the marine envoironment is treated the same as the rivers and lakes I also fish.

I do fish in fresh water a great deal, living very close to the norfolk broads the roach and bream fishing is as good as ever this is due to the fact that the water quality and aquatic life is monitored and looked after and any signs of envoironmental damage or abuse is quickly dealt with if I thought for one minute that defra would behave the same way even on a say 1 mile wide strip of shore like the one Ive seen proposed.

I do not want any guarantees on catches just a level playing field and to feel like I stand a good chance when I go to the bother of arranging tackle, bait, travel etc.

As for a good days fishing this is any days fishing provided the weed and commercials stay out of casting range. :)

Maybe I put the wrong title to this thread, my point was really that caurse anglers who pay an lisence have their rivers, ponds and lakes stoked by the E/A (and by clubs).

Sea anglers have the opersite, commercial fisherman taking away most of the fish they would target. This mean that in order to catch on a regular basis the sea angler has to be on his toes.

If mesures like the BMP were to be implemented not just for bass but for all sea fish then the sea angler would catch more and better fish, and good angling.

Then I think a small fee for a lisence wouldnt be minded by sea anglers.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

There's a lot to be said for being optimistic when you're fishing. The anticipation is a big part of the enjoyment. If you do your homework, put the time in and get everything right, there is that almost electric anticipation when you start fishing. We can all associate with tackling up with trembling hands and rushing so much that we miss a rod ring or something.

To be truly optimistic you have to have a certain amount of confidence that the fish will be there, which at the moment sea anglers cannot have. What we have now can be compared to what we would have if, when course fishing, we knew that the fish we were targetting were also being targetted commercially. We haven't only got nature to contend with, we have to compete with efficient fish catching machines. Every fish caught commercially is one less available for us to catch, and that just has to make a difference. Even if the difference it actually makes is debatable, the perception alone is often enough to kill that anticipation.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I wonder if Wurzel would pay me for all the sport I should of had over the last 15 years. I infact know he would not, but is it really fair that they plunder our cod stocks, cream our bass stocks at 36cm leaving us with lots of mini bass?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Good fishing for me is just being outside with a rod in my hand :)

Even if i decided to fish in the drain outside my house i would still have a sleepless night before i go :thumbs:

Its the anicipation that i may catch a fish :sun:

Edited by DJMCJERICO

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I wonder if Wurzel would pay me for all the sport I should of had over the last 15 years. I infact know he would not, but is it really fair that they plunder our cod stocks, cream our bass stocks at 36cm leaving us with lots of mini bass?

Trouble is Sam, that's what the rules have dictated. If the MLS had been set at 30 cm, we'd be left with mostly 28cm bass. At the end of the day, the commercial fishermen have only done what commercial fishermen do, which is catch as many fish as they can. The rule makers decided the amount and size of what they are allowed to take, and took responsibility for enforcing it.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.