GOOD ANGLING

sam-cox

Obviously we all have our own ideas about what good angling is. What makes angling good is another question.

Obviously we can't have good days all the time, but it's the memory of those good days that keeps us going back. It's just a shame that the good days have become a rarity. We have to take the good with the bad, it's all fishing and we still love it. But the question was what makes good fishing.

'What do you consider good angling", the questoner then goes on to say, he wants to catch a 5lb fish or above from the shore every other trip, this to justify a sea angling licence. Thats one view. Steve is so right that the red letter days have got a little thin on the ground, but does this stop the enjoyment of the act of 'fishing', I would sugest it can make it more exciting? (Dont forget we are talking one mans or womans view in each reply, this is not indoctrination!).

"a 5lb fish every other trip": This type of thinking to me would bring my fishing into the relms of 'painting by numbers', as predictable as fishing a heavily stocked carp lake, 'fish garenteed'.

An Angler is a hunter, and hunters dont get lucky that often, not if they are looking for quality or rarity. The image that coungers up in my mind I find unplesant, so, hunting with a camera as they do 'on Safari' = in angling term, catching, trophy pic and release. The thrill of the chase = reading charts, infomation gathering, interpritation. I know an angler who, only a couple of years ago did this for a whole summer eventualy catching a 13lb bass. That was the only fish of the day, but his dilligence and single minded resolve in the preceding months created that moment, a trophy picture and then release.

I have expanded my enjoyment of 'fishing' to boats, photography, and this year lighter line fishing and fluff chucking, I have high expectations of the comming summer season, not because I want 'big' fish, but the buzz I will get trying to catch fish, and maximising the pleasure with the lighter line.

One also has aspirations along the lines of my angling friend and his 13lb bass. There are areas I know that are not heavily fished by anglers and zero comercialy, within no more than two hours steam. When tides are right and the weather permits I will be heading that way, gathering infomation, over a number of trips. Obviously, in the mind is the prospect of 'the big one', some will be a good size, every one will be appeciated, not all will be bass, there are smoothound, tope and some big whiting.

A question arises in my mind, there is a lack of fish, the cause; global warming, and/or over fishing, the cure; legislation?, the effect of which, at best, will not be felt for a few years? In the mean time is all the moaning and negative thinking going to instantly improve the fishing? The one thing that will be instant is a sea fishing licence :cc_surrender:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a good day involves at least one fish over 50% of a record, giving up because you've caught enough, or reaching the target for the day. Outfishing your mate always helps too, as does seeing dolphins, a seal or sunfish.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I once asked a similar question on another forum and it was so enjoyable reading the replys and understanding the different aspects of our sport that did it for other people...answers such as " I am a hunter gatherer and enjoy the buzz of stalking and catching my own food"

"To stand on a beach on a cold frosty night beholding the wonder of the universe" "I enjoy the preparation and tackle aspect, planning tides and tactics"

The one thing that was obvious about them all was that the ones who seemed to get the most out of the sport were the ones who didn't mind or get downhearted about catching nothing

Playing devils advocate here a bit, but if just being there is enough for some people, why buy bait??? :unsure:

Just think how much money you could save over the year if you didn't bother to buy bait. :thumbs: Then you could afford to spend even more time just being there! :clap2:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I dont buy in to this "its just the pleasure of going and not being bothered if you dont catch or not mindset at all" what a load of codswallop, why should people feel the need to express this? i will tell you why! because they cant be arsed to do anything about changing the situation, it is an excuse and nothing else and a poor one at that, now i will put on my tin hat and prepare for the flack........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Playing devils advocate here a bit, but if just being there is enough for some people, why buy bait??? :unsure:

Just think how much money you could save over the year if you didn't bother to buy bait. :thumbs: Then you could afford to spend even more time just being there! :clap2:

Steve, during the last year illness and personal problems have stopped me from angling, but whenever I have had the chance I have been by the water, just to watch and be part of it all. During this time I have seen aspects of fish behaviour that go unseen when you have got tackle with you.

Yes I go fishing to catch, but that is just a part of it. I don't set myself goals, I don't compete with anyone (unless friendly rivalry with mates counts), I am not intimidated by reports from the angling press, I went through all that in my youth. I now just enjoy angling for the pure pleasure of it.

If an angler feels he must catch a certain size or species of fish, to make his day enjoyable then, he is putting himself under some pressure, and, I feel missing out on so much more. I thought part of angling was to get away from pressure etc.

If on the other hand this thread is intended as a political issue, then that is a different thing.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If on the other hand this thread is intended as a political issue, then that is a different thing.

Well sussed, 'gozzer' :whistling::sun:

:ph34r:

I dont buy in to this "its just the pleasure of going and not being bothered if you dont catch or not mindset at all" what a load of codswallop, why should people feel the need to express this? i will tell you why! because they cant be arsed to do anything about changing the situation, it is an excuse and nothing else and a poor one at that, now i will put on my tin hat and prepare for the flack........

It dont matter what the subject matter, there is always someone who tries to spoil the party, always seems to be the same people too! Must be very boaring and frustrating to have a one track mind. :yawn:

CJS2

It dont matter what the subject matter, there is always someone who tries to spoil the party, always seems to be the same people too! Must be very boaring and frustrating to have a one track mind. :yawn:

CJS2

Hello cliff cant be that boring if you have bothered to quote me! hows those baby bass and codling pies? still slithering down the neck nicely???????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Steve, during the last year illness and personal problems have stopped me from angling, but whenever I have had the chance I have been by the water, just to watch and be part of it all. During this time I have seen aspects of fish behaviour that go unseen when you have got tackle with you.

Hi Gozzer

Yes, I can associate with that. I must have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours walking and watching fish. There is a lot to be learnt from doing so, and it is very enjoyable in it's own right. But when it comes to actual fishing, I want to stand a reasonable chance of catching something decent. Even if I don't catch it, a realistic possibility has to be there. For the last few years catching something decent has become an improbability.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.