Beachcasting Tips

Scotty T

Interestingly the first person to document the pendulum cast in angling journals was an angler known on here as poledark, if you search through his postings (of which there are thousands) there'll be one from lasy year which expalined how it all came about, well worth the read.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can see where your coming from Toerag, when i'm down Chesil on Saturday i'll find a clear area (about 1 square mile) and have a bash.

[ 06. October 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Scotty T ]

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

With the lead on the ground and the rod tip about 6inches from the ground when the 'normal' over head thump position is reached the rod should be fairly well compressed and generate more power.

The position is import - using the clock analogy if 12 is where you want to cast, the lead is at 10 the rod should be around 8. The rod needs to be brought round in a complete arc and not stopped premturely and brought over the shoulder. The movement/transfer of weight on the feet coupled with a final punch near the end gets maximum distance.

A bit like a golf swing you need someone to tell you what you are doing wrong :)

Thankfully I fish the rough stuff most of the time and don't need to get more than 80yrds

Hmmm, Fixed spools cut down your distance and i suppose Paul Kerry didnt cast over 250 yrds with an old Daiwa egg wisk over 15 years ago and Rodney Carter from Sea Angling mag only managed to squeeze out over 250 yrds backcasting with a conoflex Red Heat in 1989 in a rod test using an egg-wisk. Maybe one or two people would not aggree with that comment from East Anglia, home of the Gt Yarmouth (back cast)using fixed spool.

Scotty.

It depends what your after, and which bit of the beach your fishing.

IE. You`d be mad to after conger with a long cast from the `Dragons teeth`, or Chesil cove.

However, on some days mackeral seem to be out of everyones reach, except one guy. He seems to pull a string in, with every cast?

If you`re after bass, try fluffing a cast, then leave it. They`re most probably within spitting distance?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

aren't they just...had a 3lb'er in under 6 inches of water in poole harbour. It had to be a whole 2 feet off the shoreline as well. What a fight that was, i just picked up the rod (well fell on it as it rattled off the jetty) jumped onto the sand and walked back a yard!

You can often see Bass quite close in on the groynes at bournemouth. In fact they swim around peoples legs when their paddling in the summer.