Dying for a picture.

Peter Waller

Got to acept mortalities but should always do our utmost to prevent them and keeping them out for drawn out weighing and photo sessions aint the way.

Too true, fish deaths do happen, & it does show we need to be very aware of the time we have fish out of the water.

The amount of times I've seen Carp out of the water for extended periods, then dunked back in again so as to get the fresh out of the water photo is ridiculous. Had plenty of arguments on the bank with this one.

I know Carp can live out of water for a very long time if kept wet & I must admit I've never seen a death that could be attributed to it, but it can't help to maintain pristine condition can it.

A bit of planning & forethought can get that photo time down to a minimum, fish goes back well & healthy, we get our photo...no problems.

Also I think there's a particular problem with irresponsible Carpers who go Piking. Carpers who treat Carp badly often get away with it, it's a tough fish. The big problem is you won't get away with it with a Pike, it's far more delicate than a Carp & much more likely to go belly up.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Also I think there's a particular problem with irresponsible Carpers who go Piking. Carpers who treat Carp badly often get away with it, it's a tough fish. The big problem is you won't get away with it with a Pike, it's far more delicate than a Carp & much more likely to go belly up.

To be honest I've always found Pike to be as "tough as old boots". I can remember a reservoir being drained and there were many fish left to die. Me and a few mates ran round trying to put as many as poss in buckets and containers to keep them alive long enough to move to some local ponds. Some of the Pike were 5 / 10lbers and couldn't fit in the buckets so we soaked some old towels and wrapped the fish in them, and they all seemed to survive ok and the ponds we released them in are now full of fish except for the ones that have been filled in!

Tigger.

Shouldnt have started me on this one Peter! You say you have had run ins on the bank over the time fish are out! I (and Im not proud of my lack of self control) battered a very well known carp angler at Claydon Lakes for keeping a Cat out long enough for TWO changes of sweatshirt during the photo session! I was able to just about swallow the combing of hair but I ask you why did he have to have pictures wearing different tops? Mind you the same gobbler had an article printed in the mags bragging about night fishing (banned by the land owners)the lake after being down the pub....

In fact Claydon saw some bad cases especially with the carp.What really done me though was watching some young lads performing with a fish,it looked more like they were dribbling a basketball than trying to photo a fish out for over (a timed) 6minutes YES 6! Saddest part was that one of the countries most famous carp anglers of the time was fishing (doing an article shoot for a mag) only 30' away.A few "pointers" from him would have both made the lads day and better anglers out of them to. But he was to busy.

Not just kids either.Caught two well known pikers keeping a fish out long enough for them both to be photoed with it.....even though neither had caught it!

On the subject of Pike take a look at how many trout water (where all the fishing is from boat only) big pike pics are a hundred yards up the bank!

Ah enough Im sick of listening to myself whine!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Whenever I've photographed a decent carp for someone, it's always been looked after better than a baby! Say what you like about the carp anglers, but the majority of them care for their fish to the extreme.

I'm not denying that there are exceptions, just that I don't seem to mingle with them.

Never had the pleasure to photograph a really big pike. Biggest was probably Leon's 17lb one once, and he is as much a gentleman with fish as he is with people.

Perhaps this thread could be used to educate less experienced anglers how to treat a pike on the bank?

We did an article for carp care once. It's at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A.../carp_care.html

If I ever get the chance, I'll see if I can get ones on other species.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Perhaps this thread could be used to educate less experienced anglers how to treat a pike on the bank?

I'll do the unhooking bit if someone cares to add information on photographing Pike.... :)

"I'll assume you are right-handed, in which case I'll describe unhooking as I go about it. You'll find most Pikers carry this out whilst in a kneeling position.

Lay the fish on its left flank, head pointing towards your right hand. You may want to straddle the fish. I use my left shin to prevent the fish from flipping. I don't apply any weight on the fish, I just don't give it any room to move. With your left hand, carefully lift the gill flap a little. Have a look under the flap to see the arrangement. You'll see three sets of rakers. Make sure your fingers haven't picked up any of these and slide one finger along the gill cover, towards the chin. When you get to the chin, you'll find your finger fits nicely into an area of soft skin with no teeth, no rakers and no obstructions.

Lift the head and you should find its mouth will stay wide open without force. You should now have the whole mouth cavity to work with unhindered. You should have a pair of 12" forceps and a pair of wire snips at hand, nothing less. The wire cutters are for fiddly hook-ups. Sometimes it is easier to break the hooks up for quick removal. Never use the snips for cutting the wire, that's a potential death sentence. As long as you have all your unhooking tools at hand, you should find the whole unhooking operation takes less than a minute.

If you are struggling, don't panic. Take the fish in the net back to the water for a good breather. Give the fish and yourself a minute to calm down before carrying out any other procedures. Allow the fish a minute in the water for every minute you have it from the water.

Don't be scared to ask a more experienced Piker for a hand. They should gladly oblige and if asked, will show you how to cope with difficult hook-ups. Pikers love being asked for advice....it makes them feel important and necessary.

Once the fish has been cleared of all oral metalwork. Lift the fish with both hands and carry it back to the water. Once in the water, use your left hand to support the head and use your right hand to hold the tail root. Don't grip the tail, just form a circle with your thumb and finger which prevents the fish from going anywhere. Pike sometimes try to pull away immediately even though they are exhausted. Just keep a slight hold on the fish until you are sure it has fully recovered. Make sure the gill flaps are working and the fish can hold itself upright. When it's definitely ready to go, you will know. Release your hold and the fish should pull away immediately. Just keep an eye on the fish until it has gone. If it's a really happy soldier you'll get a free drink when it kicks its tail."

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Its not the species they fish for Elton its the type of angler they are.Nothing to do with experience or ability in a lot of cases either.

Another well known angler once admitted to me that he got more of a buzz out of seeing his picture in the mags than he got actualy catching the fish............not a massive leap to placing the photo before the fishs welfare is it.

The "mechanics" of handling (as well put) by Andy are fine but the big thing is simply getting the fish regardless of species back in the water as quick and with the minimum amount of handling as possible.Weighing and photos are inevitably the biggest time consumers.

I remember being in several specimen groups where the acepted thing was to weigh/photo all fish of over a certain weight (dependant on species of course) regardless of how many over that weight you had all ready had.

Photos are an important part of the specimen hunters fishing cant get away from it but I reckon that the specimen fish are an even bigger part!

Before I weigh or photograph a fish I always ask myself if it is realy necasary.How many photos of different 10lb bream,20lb pike or 100lb catfish do you need? Many years ago I looked through some of my albums and came to the conclusion they were very boring! I started to watch others looking at them and judging by the look on their faces and the lesser time spent on subsequent photos so did they!

Guest Brumagem Phil

I cant understand all this fuss about keeping fish out the water for ages. If I catch a fish that I wanna weigh and photograph then I bung it back in the net (nice big triangular carp jobbie) and sling it back in the water whilst I get my scales ready and camera set up.

Of course I know what my net weighs so no need for weigh slings, I simply weigh the lot and subtract the net (saves manhandling the fish in and out of a sling) and then a quick lift, smile, click and the fish is gone.

Exactly how hard is that? Even a moron like me can mange it! :)

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Thats what does me to Phill! it definately cant be rocket science if the likes of us can get it right!

But maybe thats because we do care about getting it right...........

Guest Brumagem Phil
Thats what does me to Phill! it definately cant be rocket science if the likes of us can get it right!

But maybe thats because we do care about getting it right...........

I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate...........too many people simply dont give a toss about getting it right.

One of the first pike I ever caught I dropped and it bounced down the bank and through some brambles and all sorts before I managed to get it into the water.............bugged the s**t out of me that I'd beeen so "cruel". Bottom line is I LEARNED from the experience, and thats all I can hope for from life, that each experience teaches me something and that I dont go on making the same mistake again. Bottom line though is some people simply don't care.

This is in contrast to the W***** I watched on my local pool THROWING double figure carp back into water that was just inches deep. Oh for the want of Gaffers skills :(:(

Regret to say that some of the big name TV anglers set a bad example. In one prog Matt Hayes, on a scorching day, caught a Severn barbel. Stood there holding it in the blazing sun for what seemed an *age* while he delivered a lecture on the history of barbel in the Severn, then says "I'll put this one straight back" :(

And I'm sure one of Wilson's sponsors would be willing to give him an unhooking mat...

etc etc

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.