The Winter Grayling thread

Paulg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed a trip out targetting grayling, it was an enjoyable session and I finnished up with 60 plus grayling to 2 1/2lb and 30 plus trout to 2 1/2lb. I used a set of breathable waders and felt boots today for the first time and I was amazed at how they gipped the slippy rocks ! It was great to walk without slipping as I have with my rubber soled waders.

Finally managed a trip out targetting grayling, it was an enjoyable session and I finnished up with 60 plus grayling to 2 1/2lb and 30 plus trout to 2 1/2lb. I used a set of breathable waders and felt boots today for the first time and I was amazed at how they gipped the slippy rocks ! It was great to walk without slipping as I have with my rubber soled waders.

And just for how long have we've been telling you to buy a decent set of stockingfoot waders :doh: .It is weird how a smooth felt sole is better for grip on slimy rocks, quite the opposite on a wet bank though, despite the studs I've lost count of the moments I've had just getting to the river.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

And just for how long have we've been telling you to buy a decent set of stockingfoot waders :doh: .It is weird how a smooth felt sole is better for grip on slimy rocks, quite the opposite on a wet bank though, despite the studs I've lost count of the moments I've had just getting to the river.

Chris, i've had the waders and boots for ages but never got round to using 'em due to the convenience of my thigh waders. I've been told off other people that the felt soles are good on slippy rocks but not so good on grass bankings. I was surprised to find they where fine on steep grass banks and I never had even the smallest of slipps. The waders and boots are Greys GRXI's, how long they last will be interesting to see, i'm hoping it'll be a long time !

....how long they last will be interesting to see, i'm hoping it'll be a long time !

Well I've had my breathable chesties for nearly three years now, the neoprene cheapies I've had before lasted just a season before they leaked so for what I paid for the posh ones I'm not quids in just yet but they are so much better to wear. It's worth washing them down after every trip to get rid of the grit.

One interesting characteristic is that breathable waders always feel like they're leaking when you're in the water, they're not but you're never certain until you take them off.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well I've had my breathable chesties for nearly three years now, the neoprene cheapies I've had before lasted just a season before they leaked so for what I paid for the posh ones I'm not quids in just yet but they are so much better to wear. It's worth washing them down after every trip to get rid of the grit.

One interesting characteristic is that breathable waders always feel like they're leaking when you're in the water, they're not but you're never certain until you take them off.

Yeah your right Chris, I kept having the sensation that water was leaking in but as you say I found out they weren't when I took them off at the end of the day.

I'll follow your advice and wash them down tomorrow as they are full of mess that came out of my maggot bag due to it being submerged several times and leaking sticky maize dust. I reckon i'll hose the boots of also.

As you say they really are much better to wear than the neoprene ones and felt just as warm to me as I had some thermal long johns on as a base layer.

I do like my rubber thigh waders though and will most likely still wear them for the majority of my fishing sessions due to them being so convenient to just pull on quick etc.

I do like my rubber thigh waders though and will most likely still wear them for the majority of my fishing sessions due to them being so convenient to just pull on quick etc.

To say nothing of the need to fulfill your rubber/latex desires!! :bleh:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan