The Winter Grayling thread

Paulg

• 3 weeks later...

Met up with tigger and a couple of his mates today for a spot of grayling fishing. The need for a trip to the tackle shop on the way to replace yet another pair of leaky waders meant it was a little later start for me.

Upon my late arrival I was greeted by the sight of three anglers happily on with their fishing in what can only be called rare northern winter weather(It was neither cold, wet or blowing a gale) and on river that looked in good fettle.

Despite the nice conditions and a grayling on my first trot down, my first peg seemed to die as fast as it got going. This accompanied by the fact the water around me had already been worked by anglers that were fast getting out of sight made me make the decision hop back in the van and head for pastures new well down stream.

I'm not sure if it was the move, lighter baiting (just 2 maggots per trot down), coming up in the water a bit or stringing out my shot, but the next few hours saw me rooted to one spot and hardly have a trot down the swim that wasn't rewarded.

No big fishfor me, but with the great weather, skeins of geese, a peregrine that perched on a post for a few seconds just 20 feet away and the sight of kingfishers, a dipper,............ and too many grayling to count all made for a great day winter grayling fishing.

Thanks to Ian for booking it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Met up with tigger and a couple of his mates today for a spot of grayling fishing. The need for a trip to the tackle shop on the way to replace yet another pair of leaky waders meant it was a little later start for me.

Upon my late arrival I was greeted by the sight of three anglers happily on with their fishing in what can only be called rare northern winter weather(It was neither cold, wet or blowing a gale) and on river that looked in good fettle.

Despite the nice conditions and a grayling on my first trot down, my first peg seemed to die as fast as it got going. This accompanied by the fact the water around me had already been worked by anglers that were fast getting out of sight made me make the decision hop back in the van and head for pastures new well down stream.

I'm not sure if it was the move, lighter baiting (just 2 maggots per trot down), coming up in the water a bit or stringing out my shot, but the next few hours saw me rooted to one spot and hardly have a trot down the swim that wasn't rewarded.

No big fishfor me, but with the great weather, skeins of geese, a peregrine that perched on a post for a few seconds just 20 feet away and the sight of kingfishers, a dipper,............ and too many grayling to count all made for a great day winter grayling fishing.

Thanks to Ian for booking it. :thumbs:

It was great to se you Brian, always is m8 :). I reckon you out fished us all with 150 grayling :clap3: . I only had a third of that but nearly as many trout so I was happy enough. Stey had about the same amount of fish as me and was happy enough. Tony was buzzing with his salmon and wouldn't shut up all the way home...I was made up for him !

It was deffo a lovely day to be out on the river with friends and all catching fish n'all !