Okuma or shimano?

quaks

I must admit I struggle to see why exactly these two reels are being compared to each other. The Shimano Sedona 750 is a compact very lightweight reel aimed towards fishing with ultra light & light lures or baits while the Okuma Epixor 15 is weighing in at 9.2oz / 258 grams, which by the way is a ridiculously high weight for such a relatively small reel. Honestly, it's like comparing apples and pears.

By the way, with their small size and low line capacity neither of the reels are suitable for sea fishing.

Okuma Epixor

Generally, Okuma spinning reels are considerably heavier than any comparable Shimano or Daiwa reel in similar size and it's NOT because they are built more solidly.

Okuma's policy of sticking a huge number of weight increasing rubbish ball bearings into most of their reels does not increase the longevity or indeed the overall quality of the reel. I much rather have a reel with fewer, but higher quality bearings installed in the correct places.

Daiwa currently holds a clear edge over Shimano when it comes to spinning reels in general, but if you have the money to buy a Shimano Stella you are probably getting the best spinning reel there is.

Edited by Vidar6

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had problems with a few of Shimano's current reels, the GT(M) and Stradic in particular. I'm 99% convinced that quality control has slipped (although the prices havent).

Personaly I would be tempted to go for an Okuma, should it fail or go wrong, you always have the 5yr garantee to fall back on.

IMO

I have had problems with a few of Shimano's current reels, the GT(M) and Stradic in particular. I'm 99% convinced that quality control has slipped (although the prices havent).

Personaly I would be tempted to go for an Okuma, should it fail or go wrong, you always have the 5yr garantee to fall back on.

IMO

I have to agree with you re. a drop in standards by Shimano.

I purchased a couple of Stradic GTM reels a couple of years back - which were built well - so they will keep me going for 2-3 years.

Depending on which Okuma you go for, be prepared to do modifications - some have some really silly manufacturing mistakes/boo-boos - call what you want!!

What problems have you had with your Stradics Phil?

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

Thanks again all.There is some great info there for both reels. I think I am now leaning towards the okuma but still any more comments/oppinions would be great.

I emailed okuma and the correct line capacity for the reel is 100yds 6lb line, but due to there site crashing they are unable to change it.

I was just hoping to use the reels in the sea occasionally, for some light spinning for mackerel and coalfish which will require a cast of no more than 30yds, so presumed they would be grand for this? Both, acording to the manufacturers are suitable for salt water, but anyway it will mainly be used for fresh water. The weight of the okuma might be a bit much.

Thanks again to everyone who replied,

quaks

As has been said, the Okuma has a five year guarantee. Re sea use, I bought an Okuma Epix, 'cause it was cheap enough to dump if the salt ruined it, to be pleasently surprised at its durability and quality.

Personally I think that there is a great deal of snobbishness relating to labels & prices. Both Fox & Shimano have proved that!!

I have to agree with you re. a drop in standards by Shimano.

I purchased a couple of Stradic GTM reels a couple of years back - which were built well - so they will keep me going for 2-3 years.

Depending on which Okuma you go for, be prepared to do modifications - some have some really silly manufacturing mistakes/boo-boos - call what you want!!

What problems have you had with your Stradics Phil?

Mainly the drag knob, I have had two reels, both of which have had the drag knobs come off in my hand.

It started when I was increasing the drag. Suddelny the clicking stopped and I noticed that the knob had moved away from the fighting drag lever by a 4mm ish. Turning it back, in the hope if it re-attaching it'self, resulted in the knob comming away completely.

I managed to re-attach it, but unless I'm very carefull it will do it again. (its done it at least 7-8 times). The knob is simply clipped in place, and then held with a few very fine threads on the inside of the drag knob. If the knbo goes to the extreme of these threads.......it can come off (I think).

I would have returned it for a full refund, but I cant find the recipt etc, and I really cant be arsed to pay shimano to "fix" it, since Im convinced its a manufacturing/design fault.

If you look at older Shimano's, they all have a large screw holding the drag knob to the reel. As far as Im aware, none of the newer ranges have this.

I need a new smaller reel for float fishing duties, but Im put off buying a Shimano even though ALL of my old reels have been from them.

'The weight of the okuma might be a bit much'

There seems to be an idea now fixed in everyones head that Okumas are heavy reels in comparison with other makes. Just not the case...the following reels are the same size (nearly) with more or less the same capacity.

Okuma Epix 40 460 grams

Shimano BTR 3500 557 grams

Daiwa Regal 490 grams.

Its also worth pointing out that the issue should be about whether the reel balances the rod and not about the weight of the reel in isolation.

This question of Shimano versus Okuma is raised frequently, but its not something that has a resolvable solution. Its more to do with how much you fish, how much you have in your pocket and how much you believe that a big name reel is somehow superior to a lesser name reel. They all work to some extent, some just make a better job of it than others and you don't always have to shell out on a bright shiny phenominally expensive handbuilt jap reel to achieve it. If you are a dyed in the wool Shimano fan then by all means buy one, but if you do so because you have an allegiance to the brand then be aware that lesser companies are catching up fast and have begun to produce reels that are superior in both price and design. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that Shimano are a shadow of their former self, but they seem to have held their appeal, if anything on name only.

I once believed that Shimano had higher quality bearings than the copies, but the cost of quality bearings is minimal and I now doubt if the bearings in a Shimano come from any other source or quality level than those in the Okuma. I can buy very high quality ceramic bearings for just $2.25 each. Thats retail. That means that the price of bog standard metal bearings at the factory gate bought by the crateload is pennies, so cost cutting has very limited value.

If I had the money, I'd buy a top of the range Ferrari, but I'd do so knowing that there's a TVR out there that has about the same carrying capacity, is just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) turns heads just as well, but is faster and less than half the price.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

This will be my first light setup, and still being in school means I have a small budget but I have saved for this.

The reel will be coupled with a Shimano mini tele spin http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/product.asp...=14346&deptid=1

I had widdled it down to these two, and couldn't afford anything more expensive. I couldn't find much difference between the reels and when I asked the place I was thinking of buying the shimano from he suggested the okuma one as a great reel.

I don't have much knowledge on the subject so thanks for all the input. All comments are very welcome and appreciated. All the best,

quaks

I like the look of that rod, ideal for smaller pike baits, very tempting. I would shop round though, Harris don't tend to be the cheapest. If the advantages of such a compact rod are what you need then go for it.

However, if you could get away with a two piece rod then I'd consider a 7'6" length of rod and maybe a little heavier, especially for pike. You can get some superb two piece rods for less money, especially from Ron Thompson, Leeda and Shakespeare. Nothing like being spoilt for choice!

There seems to be an idea now fixed in everyones head that Okumas are heavy reels in comparison with other makes. Just not the case...the following reels are the same size (nearly) with more or less the same capacity.

Okuma Epix 40 460 grams

Shimano BTR 3500 557 grams

Daiwa Regal 490 grams.

Its also worth pointing out that the issue should be about whether the reel balances the rod and not about the weight of the reel in isolation.

Generally speaking, most of Okuma's spinning reels are about 1.5oz heavier than it's comparable brothers & sisters from, say Daiwa. Not a huge amount, but the difference is there.

Okuma VS-30 @ 10.80oz compared to Daiwa Fuego 2500 @ 9.20oz

Okuma VS-40 @12.30oz compared to Daiwa Fuego 3000 @10.00oz

Ehh, I'm more than little intrigued...when did using a heavier reel become an efficient way of balancing your rig?

Fact is, if you need 1.5oz of added weight on your rod butt to balance a tip heavy rod you would need 3-4 times as much weight added in the reel position to achieve the same result due to the shortened weight arm...it's a simple matter physics. Using a heavier reel to try and balance a spinning or a baitcasting rig only adds overall weight and very little else. Buy a well-balanced rod in the first place, but if it's needed add the weight at the rod butt.

By the way, I have five Okuma reels (3 x Epix Baitrunners & 2 x Epix Pro spinning reels) and for the money they are ok...nothing more, nothing less. None of them exactly gets my blood racing :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Vidar6