Pike unhooking

kkelly

What to do when a pike has a treble hook in it guts?

Normally my Granddad uses single hook though live bait head. As he was losing some bites he was getting, I set him up with a treble set-up. I my self don't fish for pikes but I do know some of the do/don't s with piking e.g. strike asap to advert deep hooking. How ever the 5 pounder was greedy and got a part of the trebles right inside the guts, I managed to remove the top trebles and cut the trace away from the bottom leaving last set of trebles inside the pike.

Can pike live with hooks in them or they soon to die?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

No information from that site about the gut hooked up. What I'm trying to find out would it be best for me to try forcing the hook out (with much care as possible, of course). Than to leave it in its guts?

Another site I did read up, which is very good http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/index.htm

Kelly, next time it happens, (and it probably will at some time) try to cut the hooks at the bend, if you can reach them.

John Roberts deep throat disgorger will help a lot as well.

I take it you had neither side wire cutters nor one of Johns disgorgers? If not, then get them before you go piking again (and probably an unhhoking mat as well)

Best of all, don't use trebles..........................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

No information from that site about the gut hooked up.

Really? I must have imagined the bits that I'm now quoting for you, then....

If the fish is really deeply hooked, you can pull the gut into the mouth.

A steady, slow pressure will bring the hooks into view.

If possible, get someone to hold the gut gently with a second pair of forceps whilst you remove the hook. Afterward, the gut should drop back on its own, especially if you hold the fish head high by the chin bone.

In rare cases, you may find that you have to gently poke the gut back down with a blunt object (don't worry if you can't, the fish will swallow it back to normal anyway)

If it is going to make hook removal easier and speedier, don't hesitate to cut through a wire trace, split ring or hook with wire cutters.

At all costs, avoid returning a fish with hooks still in place, especially where two or more hooks of a treble have 'stitched' the pike's gullet closed - it will almost certainly die of hunger.

Once you have released your hooks, check to see if there is any sign of someone else’s tackle still in the fish.

If you need help or advice don't be afraid to ask nearby anglers sooner, rather than later.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

What to do when a pike has a treble hook in it guts?

Normally my Granddad uses single hook though live bait head. As he was losing some bites he was getting, I set him up with a treble set-up. I my self don't fish for pikes but I do know some of the do/don't s with piking e.g. strike asap to advert deep hooking. How ever the 5 pounder was greedy and got a part of the trebles right inside the guts, I managed to remove the top trebles and cut the trace away from the bottom leaving last set of trebles inside the pike.

Can pike live with hooks in them or they soon to die?

I agree with Elton. Over the years i have seen a lot of deep hooked pike. It cant be helped sometimes even to the experiencd angler sometimes they will just woof the bait down. If you happen to have a deep hooked fish you can pull on the trace gently and envert the gullet. Its a two man operation, One to hold the fish and one to do the unhooking. But remmember to push the gullet back once you have done with a blunt instrement ig a bank stick Also remmeber to avoid the gullet coming in contact with the gill rackers or teeth. The fish may need nursing for a while in a tube till you are sure its fit to go.

As for can pike digest hooks. I have known a few fish over the years that have been caught after a deep hooking and have been healthy. Pike have digestive jucies that can get rid of hooks eventually. Not that that should be the case. everyone that fish for pike should follow the golden rules that all pikers follow. I have been piking for nearly thirty years and it still puzzles me some people still on a moment think they will have a go for the pike without any knowledge of the speciesMost people think pike are tough but they are not.. Once on they are on the bank they are in your hands and deserve respect and careful handling. When piking stay swiched on and watch your indicators preferabley drop arms and watch your rod tips. Pike dont smash off with baits like some people will av you belive they can be very subtle at times. Esepcially in the depths of winter.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

You can invert the stomach quite easily by your self if you have a simple home made piece of gear. All it is is a leather key fob with a snap link attached to it.You simply clip the link through the eye of your trace swivel put the key fob in your mouth and youve got a "third hand"!

No need to push the stomach back down the throat either.Its far better to let it just retract (which it does) by itself.

Learning these basic unhooking techniques and using semibarbless trebles will mean you should never have to leave hooks in a fish.

I have to disagree with Wayne though in that the vast majority of fish with hooks left in them will die.Years of retaining pike for extended periods prior to relocation have shown this quite clearly.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Try using single treble instead

TBH using floats with this setup and being attentive it's pretty hard to go wrong so long as you strike promptly (not letting the float go under or trundle off for minutes!)

Edited by Neil G

You can invert the stomach quite easily by your self if you have a simple home made piece of gear. All it is is a leather key fob with a snap link attached to it.You simply clip the link through the eye of your trace swivel put the key fob in your mouth and youve got a "third hand"!

No need to push the stomach back down the throat either.Its far better to let it just retract (which it does) by itself.

Learning these basic unhooking techniques and using semibarbless trebles will mean you should never have to leave hooks in a fish.

I have to disagree with Wayne though in that the vast majority of fish with hooks left in them will die.Years of retaining pike for extended periods prior to relocation have shown this quite clearly.

Hi BUDGIE

Your right you can do it yourself with exactly the bit of home made kit you mentioned. As for where you disagreed with me it was probably my fault for not wording it right. Most fish will die from hooks being left in the i can just recall a few ocaisions when fish have recovered. Not that this should be the case to start with.

tight lines

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.