Pike unhooking

kkelly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was trying to make marko is that by using good angling practices,having the correct equipment and above all the correct knowledge the need to "mercy kill" shouldnt arise.

The only time Ive ever needed to kill a pike is when its been taken for dissection or to be eaten.In other words when the whole intention is to catch to kill.Ive used an oversized "priest" made from a heavy section of oar handle.LIke all fish a good sharp rap on the back of the head at the base of the skull does the job.

Not sure how to minimise deep hooking or deal with it when it occurs then you really need to learn how to.Cant be bothered to learn then simply dont pike fish and thats the only way you will garantee to not ever deep hooking one.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The point I was trying to make marko is that by using good angling practices,having the correct equipment and above all the correct knowledge the need to "mercy kill" shouldnt arise.

The only time Ive ever needed to kill a pike is when its been taken for dissection or to be eaten.In other words when the whole intention is to catch to kill.Ive used an oversized "priest" made from a heavy section of oar handle.LIke all fish a good sharp rap on the back of the head at the base of the skull does the job.

Not sure how to minimise deep hooking or deal with it when it occurs then you really need to learn how to.Cant be bothered to learn then simply dont pike fish and thats the only way you will garantee to not ever deep hooking one.

ok mate i take your point but even if prepared as much as humanly possible ,and belive me i take great care towards fish handling and im also fully equiped with revelent tools for the job **** happens sometimes and it would also be good to be prepared for this eventually ,belive me sumtimes i despair at pike anglers who during the summer stock up on mackerall for bait whos populations under sever threat ,dont mind them being caught for the pan or bait but it realy pisses me off to see course or sea fisherman after getting their fill returning fish using bear hands and without doubt leaving the fish to a slow and painfull death, thought this might be some usufull info for all u pike experts out there who never seem bothered to ask simelar questions when as u put it ur stocking up on mackerall for the winter ,mark

no agenda at all mate sorry u think that ,just thought ur post witch included somthing along the lines off cant be bothered to find out somewhat condessendin as by asking these questions thats surley what im doing .the point i made about mackeral is only put there to asure u that i do take fish consevation seriously and thought it would be a good peice of info for a course fishing forum thats all as they seem to be the worst offenders .

`No you were asking how to humanely kill a pike because it hads been damaged by an angler deep hgooking it.I thought you would be glad to here that there was no need to think along these lines as with the proper knowledge and equipment the situation need never arise.Instead of trying to find out about this knowledge you were still not prepared to change your belief and went off on one about how carining to fish you are and how terrible pike and course anglers treat mackeral.A species that I (as a sea angler as well as a pike and course angler) hold in high esteem as both a sporting fish and a bait fish.Didnt know they were under threat mind you :rolleyes: Not to sure how we are meant to hold them either as I for the last 43 years of angling have always thought bare wet hands was the reccomended way?

You inadvertanyly did raise a good topic but seem to have not liked the reply.My comments re learning /finding out how to handle/unhook pike before trying to catch then and thus ending up in the predicament you raise werent aimed at you specificly but any of the other hundreds of people looking in who might not have thought about it.

So do you still feel a pike "expert" needs to tell you and everyoner else looking in how best to kill a pike you (not you specificly) have mortally wounded by catching it or better to be told/shown how to avoid it in the first place?

`No you were asking how to humanely kill a pike because it hads been damaged by an angler deep hgooking it.I thought you would be glad to here that there was no need to think along these lines as with the proper knowledge and equipment the situation need never arise.Instead of trying to find out about this knowledge you were still not prepared to change your belief and went off on one about how carining to fish you are and how terrible pike and course anglers treat mackeral.A species that I (as a sea angler as well as a pike and course angler) hold in high esteem as both a sporting fish and a bait fish.Didnt know they were under threat mind you :rolleyes: Not to sure how we are meant to hold them either as I for the last 43 years of angling have always thought bare wet hands was the reccomended way?

You inadvertanyly did raise a good topic but seem to have not liked the reply.My comments re learning /finding out how to handle/unhook pike before trying to catch then and thus ending up in the predicament you raise werent aimed at you specificly but any of the other hundreds of people looking in who might not have thought about it.

So do you still feel a pike "expert" needs to tell you and everyoner else looking in how best to kill a pike you (not you specificly) have mortally wounded by catching it or better to be told/shown how to avoid it in the first place?

sorry but i cant imagin there never being a time where a mercy killing isnt the best thing to do for the fish but as a novice pike angler ile take your word on that.as for finding out about propper unhooking and handeling i think your presuming that i havent bothered to find out as much info as possible witch i can assure u i have i mearly wanted an answere on something ide never heard disscused or writen about .and by the way if you have indeed been sea fishing for the last 40 odd years then i can only assume that youve been fishing with your eyes closed if you havent noticed the huge decline in mackeral mainly due to large factory ships witch incendently dont even bother to fish my area any more due to the decline of stocks .ps the best way to unhook mackeral is if posible to shake them off the hook and if that dont work then handel them with a damp cloth ,never handel with bear hands wet or otherwise as the heat from your hands burns the skin eventually killing them hope this info is somthing the hundreds of people looking in may take in to account next time they fish for them.

sorry but i cant imagin there never being a time where a mercy killing isnt the best thing to do for the fish but as a novice pike angler ile take your word on that.as for finding out about propper unhooking and handeling i think your presuming that i havent bothered to find out as much info as possible witch i can assure u i have i mearly wanted an answere on something ide never heard disscused or writen about .and by the way if you have indeed been sea fishing for the last 40 odd years then i can only assume that youve been fishing with your eyes closed if you havent noticed the huge decline in mackeral mainly due to large factory ships witch incendently dont even bother to fish my area any more due to the decline of stocks .ps the best way to unhook mackeral is if posible to shake them off the hook and if that dont work then handel them with a damp cloth ,never handel with bear hands wet or otherwise as the heat from your hands burns the skin eventually killing them hope this info is somthing the hundreds of people looking in may take in to account next time they fish for them.

I sincerely doubt it because its ******! the worst thing you can do with any fish is use a cloth damp or not. Also try and get ahandle on the fact that not every thing is about you!

Ive spent a lotb of time trying to put something back into the sport I love with my pike teach ins and the likes but as it proves some just simply dont want to learn as they know it all all ready.

Maybe you thimk Ive been a bit harsh but we will see if anyone else wants to answer your origonal question. In your initial post you asked if killing pike was frowned upon? Well the only time I frown upon it is when the killing is because of the anglers incompetance.

cant be arsed with this ive asked for some info and took it on board unlike youself on the other hand ,obviously u think u know it all and wont take some advice when offered ,go ahead and google relesing mackeral and youl find the heat from your hands burns the fish killing them, and as i said before as it seems u have problems reading that the best way is to shake them off the hook and a damp cloth is much better than a bear hand .ps theres even a link on this very forum sumwhere with this info u whopper.

You was the one asking for advice.Its because of pricks like you who seem to think that AN is just some where to have a row after the pub that this site is going to the dogs. You obviously know nothing about piking by asking the question in the first place,Rather than belittling you for doing so I merely tried to answer. Not only did I offer you an alternative but did if you read my reply again answer your actual question. You straight away got the arse and had a go at pike and course anglers fish handling.Fukin rich after the sights Ive seen on my local beachs over the years.

Tell you what I wont descend any further with this rubbish.You carry on banging pike on the head cause you cant unhook them,shaking off your mackeral etc etc but dont bother asking for any bodies opinion cause you wont be getting mine.

Why dont you try another site where all the rest just like spouting off their own veiws as gospel? people on here normally like to discuss things that are different in the hope that they may either learn something or pass something on.Im just out of all paitence with dick heads like you mate. Im sure this **** will be removed by a mod anyway but your loss markco.