Pike unhooking

kkelly

what a load of total bollaks ,it was your arsey responce that led this thread to degenerate to this noncence in the first place by assuming ide done no homework on the subject ,by the way i have no intention of killing pike or any other fish for that matter knowingly or not, unlike urself who still thinks it aint a problem to handel mackeral poorly and then when shown the error of your ways dismiss the info out of hand if theres any problem with this web site its whoppers like u.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a load of total bollaks ,it was your arsey responce that led this thread to degenerate to this noncence in the first place by assuming ide done no homework on the subject ,by the way i have no intention of killing pike or any other fish for that matter knowingly or not, unlike urself who still thinks it aint a problem to handel mackeral poorly and then when shown the error of your ways dismiss the info out of hand if theres any problem with this web site its whoppers like u.

No, what led this thread to degenerate was your unwillingness to be told that when you kill pike "for humane reasons" you are doing it because you can't be bothered to learn how to unhook them. If you can't, then don't fish for them.

This thread is going down that old predictable slope!We will have all the "instant strike" people on their soap boxes next.

As an angler who has fished for pike on many different waters and over quitea few years now can I try and put it back into perspective?

What we are talking about here isnt anything advanced or new but purely basic pike handling/unhooking.Im my opinion to intentionally targewt pike without first being armed with the correct tools and more importantly the knowledge to safely unhook them is down right irresponsible.Even more so in this modern day where so much help and advice is so freely available.

All though all important factors in minimising (note I didnt say avoiding as this is simply nort possible) deep hooking lets put things like being dilligent,using good bite detection and safe rigs etc to one side for the moment.The real issue here is being able to deal with a deep hooked fish quickly and efficiently when it happens.

This all starts with simply being able to hold the pike in the correct way! I wont write an in depth description of the technique as there are plenty avaiable.As always the best way to learn is to get a competent piker to show you.

The "deep throat" disgorgers are IMO a total waste of time and a very poor alternative to learning how to do it properly.Like single hooks (well in this situation at least) its just a way of avoiding the real issue.You dont want to touch a pike or are scared of them then simply dont fish for them.

I dont even rate the need for cutters etc that highly.Yes I do carry them but in all these years have only ever used them twice! once to cut a treble out of my net and the only other time to cut someone elses lost gear out.Not bad in over 30 years of piking.Once again knowing the correct technique is the answer.Jeeze its not rocket science!

Good post there, I think that sums up my sentiments towards the issue.

My gammy leg is telling me there's a ban coming. Well it's that or it's going to rain. One of the two.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

No, what led this thread to degenerate was your unwillingness to be told that when you kill pike "for humane reasons" you are doing it because you can't be bothered to learn how to unhook them. If you can't, then don't fish for them.
can someone please show me where i showed my unwillingness to be bothered to learn how to unhook pike?as ive allready mentioned ive spent plenty of time learning how to do this correctly reading various different material and watched lots of video fottage on the subject,all i asked is if the worst thing happened and the pike was seriously injured ,hopefully of no fault of my own ide know how to kill the fish quickly and effecintly to save it anymore suffering ,sorry if the thought of this happening is to emotive a subject for the majority of people on here to dicuss rationaly but it must be something that could happen ,again hopefully not.

My gammy leg is telling me there's a ban coming. Well it's that or it's going to rain. One of the two.
i think your right foul and abbusive lanuge shouldnt be tolerated ,and if i moderated on this forum ide ban that budgie fella straight away.

firstly when i mentioned mackeral being badly handeled i also said that this was something that both sea and course anglers do ,again please bother to read the thread in full if you feel you have to give an opinion,and secondly i also stated that i took budgies point as being a newcomer to pike fishing i would have to take his word on wether pike mercy killings never take place ,if you guys say thats the case fair enough,the problem arised after i offered some advice witch was straight away dissmissed as rubbish and as u can see for yourself was good and sound advice ,thanks to the guy who posted the link.seems to me theres a bit of a click on this forum as there are with a lot of them and if this is how new posters are treated then people will look elsewhere ,look whats happened to the kayak forum.ps after reading some of the past pike related topics on here it seems the majority of pike anglers cant have a reasonble debate without falling out with each other so this has come as no great supprise.

I'm going to ask the same question as Markco in a slightly different way.

I'm an inexperienced pike angler but want to learn so if Budgie's teach in comes off I'll be first in the queue. I'll buy all the right equipment and be watching very closely the practical demonstrations whether they be on dead or live pike, I won't fish for them until I'm confident I can deal with them correctly and I'm sure that I will be at the end of the teach in.

Fast forward to the next weekend and I'll be fishing for pike, Budgie won't be there and I'll still be an inexperienced pike angler probably on my own. I know the theory and will have put it into practice but I'll still be nervous about unhooking a large pike without help.

If I make a complete mess of it (god forbid) and for whatever reason I'm unable to remove a hook what is the best thing to do?

Despatch the fish.

Get as much out as I can and then release.

Don't even think about fishing for pike if there's the remotest possibility that I might have to leave a hook in at some point.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

FWIW I caught my first pike over 50 years ago.

I've never had to put one down.

And I've dealt with plenty of casualties of other anglers' bad practice, finding pike either released or broken off with trebles down their throats, which I have dealt with and returned to the water to hopefully fight another day.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust