Pike unhooking

kkelly

when you pull a pikes stomach out of its position in the pikes body, does it become detached from the rest of the intestinal tract?

Is it all still connected right through to the pikes anus?

It stays attached and it's fine to do as long as you do it slowly and steadily. If you think that a pike can comfortably eat prey upto a 3rd of it's own bodyweight, all that fish, which has been eaten whole by the way, has to go somewhere. Think of the gut as a nylon tight or a snake. It'll stretch to accommodate.

I carried a very long and annoying 'operation' on a starved pike at my local ressie one day. It managed to take a sprat and get caught alright but it was shockingly underweight. On examination, I found almost a dozen various hooks, trebles and singles, swivels and clips with approximately 30 yards of tightly coiled mono. It took my a few journeys to and from the water and a lot of calm cutting and fiddling and I had to stretch the gut too but I eventually cleared the lot. I returned the fish and caught it again some time later. It was very nearly back to it's full weight and physique.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carried a very long and annoying 'operation' on a starved pike at my local ressie one day. It managed to take a sprat and get caught alright but it was shockingly underweight. On examination, I found almost a dozen various hooks, trebles and singles, swivels and clips with approximately 30 yards of tightly coiled mono. It took my a few journeys to and from the water and a lot of calm cutting and fiddling and I had to stretch the gut too but I eventually cleared the lot. I returned the fish and caught it again some time later. It was very nearly back to it's full weight and physique.

Good for you Andy

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Second the above, good work

I always feel good If I can remove other peoples traces and hooks from a pike returning it in a better condition and able to feed properly. Still a shame though to find this sort of thing on a regular basis on the river :schmoll:

Thanks for reply Andy...I am almost reassured :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

You'll actually know if you're causing any discomfort. The pike will recoil if you're pulling too quickly or too hard. If you're carrying out the procedure correctly, the pike will lie perfectly calm while you go to work on it. I've watched over a few anglers at my local ressie doing this for the first time and it normally goes quite well. Assistance is not always welcomed at first so tact is required but I'm sure most folk in that situation were actually glad that I helped them sort things out. The size of the fish needs a little judgement too. If it's a scrappy jack and the person seems competent enough to follow instruction, I normally let them go ahead and try themselves, while I watch. If the fish is decent enough, I'll usually ask to take over and give clear instruction.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Second the above, good work

I always feel good If I can remove other peoples traces and hooks from a pike returning it in a better condition and able to feed properly. Still a shame though to find this sort of thing on a regular basis on the river :schmoll:

Neil i think that because there are lots of free areas on the rivers and due to the remote areas never seeing a bailiff the kids target these esp during the holidays,Its hard enough to give advice/help to anyone when you see them making a dogs dinner of unhooking /handling fish let alone a group of youths but have found that offering a free trace is a good way in and then show them without preaching to them its a right diplomatic tightrope.

The hardest by far in my experience is a tie bitween SOME of the carp guys turning there attention to Pike in the winter mounths on a spare rod only to find there short forceps are no use and disscover when they get the fish on the bank that they aint as confident as they thought but dont want to loose face by asking or alowing help.

In equall first place is the instant expert Pike angler who is a danger to the fish and if he goes afloat without advice on boat handling /safety himself.

The above are just my experiences both on the river and a stillwater that i fish in the winter.

Budgies idea with the key fob thing is brilliant and like all good ideas really simple,I allways take 2 pairs of forceps with me as i once dropped a pair over the side of the boat which meant an early finnish to the day and the air turning blue.

Try to unhook the pike in the water by the side of the boat when afloat only using the net if its a bigun or chinning them if a flying treble ,Nearly ended up with a over active jack in the boat when i held the trace to lift the pikes head by the side of the boat to get the forceps locked on the hook when the fish kicked and shot upwards over the gunwale and bounced off my shoulder well made me jump :D .

Usually fish with a mate as i find it easier for unhooking deep hooked fish and the banter on the bank/boat but armed with budgies tip i will try it if the need arises steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: