Fishing for Asians

Leon Roskilly

This has got nothing to do with either of Les's projects,nothing to do with selling more Rod licences, nothing to do with furthering angling.......just another case of some politicaly orientated group trying to use our sport for furthering their own ideals.Lets get real.

Why target Asian women? why not Muslim men or Scandanavian trans sexuals.I have seen an increase in anglers from ethnic groups that used to be missing in the past few years.And why? well it doesnt take a scientist to work it out does it?

Like I said this is balls it hasnt got anything to do with angling full stop.By trying to pretend it does is beyond belief.Hence forth the rather flipant flavour of my first post.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too, detest and resent angling being used in this way... it is a crock of S**t dreamed up by some know nothing executive from within the EA, i intend writing to the EA and telling them just that, it makes me want to vomit to be honest, honestly these people have no idea..none at all.

In the fifty's ,sixty's and seventy's clubs used to organise coaches and buses for ANYONE that wished to join in and do a spot of fishing, times have changed and anglers are more insular because we have our own transport.... it may go full circle in time .. but for now , the very best way of involving more people to get into fishing is through education and schools... Webber's project is already set up ,it is hugely successful with a proven track record, a typical class of kids will consist of a variety of backgrounds and they are all treated equally... the future of angling will take care of itself , this is where our spare licence money should be going.... not on some false ,trumped up scheme that is good for neither man nor beast, and we (the anglers) should be saying so!!

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Hmm..

A few photos by "salmonfly" of his recent days on the Scots Dee, one of our very best salmon rivers, posted on another forum (click link below). He took the salmon on fly, and released them, of course.

http://salmosalar.proboards80.com/index.cg...41056734&page=1

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

*A 10-point agency leaflet includes the mantra: “Angling does not discriminate against gender, race, age or athletic ability.” *

I think everyone bloody knows that, so why make a friggin' issue out of it?

Create a divide where there is non why not!

Smacks of yet more bleedin' PC liberal nonsense....I refuse to pay for my licence to fund these idiotic numbskulls! :wallbash:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Guest tigger
*A 10-point agency leaflet includes the mantra: “Angling does not discriminate against gender, race, age or athletic ability.” *

I think everyone bloody knows that, so why make a friggin' issue out of it?

Create a divide where there is non why not!

Smacks of yet more bleedin' PC liberal nonsense....I refuse to pay for my licence to fund these idiotic numbskulls! :wallbash:

:thumbs:

I personally would like to see details of the scheme from the EA on which this very brief report was written.

I can't help feeling it's a case of a journalist picking out a very small part from the scheme and then writing the report. :)

I know as far back as 2001 British Waterways produced a report, showing asians were less likely to visit waterways than black or whites and asian females less likely than asian males.

It has been clearly identified that asians are least likely to participate in inclusive sports and hobbies. This has been highlighted in football, how many british asians play in the premiership? In fact many teams including West Ham and Arsenal now run schemes to encourage young British asians into the sport. :thumbs:

I think it's safe to say that research has shown that such schemes are necessary to break down pre-conceptions and bigotry that exists in some elements of our sport. :)

I could not disagree more Graeme.. I as Ant has already stated, believe this is making divides and distinctions where non exist, angling is being used in a very cynical and political way by the EA and they are doing it with our money!!! I am urging anglers to write to the EA and object strongly but whilst we are at it point them toward the good work done by Les and his organisation....urge them to rethink and pour the money into this project, invest in the kids of today... the rest will take care of itself.

I could not disagree more Graeme.. I as Ant has already stated, believe this is making divides and distinctions where non exist, angling is being used in a very cynical and political way by the EA and they are doing it with our money!!! I am urging anglers to write to the EA and object strongly but whilst we are at it point them toward the good work done by Les and his organisation....urge them to rethink and pour the money into this project, invest in the kids of today... the rest will take care of itself.

I disagree.

There is method in this "madness" -

The Sunday Times April 02, 2006

Ministers go fishing for Asian anglers

IT may be Britain’s most popular participation sport but angling is too white and too middle-aged for the government, writes Bendan Bourne.

The Environment Agency is embarking on a campaign spending some of the £19m raised by selling fishing licences to attract Asian women and other ethnic minorities to the sport.

A pilot scheme in Swansea is using experts from the Salmon and Trout Association to teach Muslim women and children to fish. Similar schemes are expected to spawn across the country.

Nica Prichard of the Ladies Flyfishing Association, who is running the course, said: “If you could just see their faces when we are teaching them you would know we are really on to something.”

Researchers found only 7% of anglers were under 18, 5% were female and “very few” came from ethnic minorities.

A 10-point agency leaflet includes the mantra: “Angling does not discriminate against gender, race, age or athletic ability.”

However, farmer and countryside broadcaster Robin Page branded the idea “politically correct Britain gone mad”.

“It is utter nonsense. This is an insult to serious conservation,” he said.

Four million Britons already take to the banks of our muddied waterways, in what many see as a sport which spans the class divide.

According to the agency fishing boosts self-esteem and wellbeing. It adds that the sport can also prevent anti-social behaviour and help tackle underachievement and youth crime.

Richard Wightman, angling development manager for the Environment Agency said: “We have a corporate commitment to diversity. There is a huge number of social benefits.”

-- and I will explain why.

Note that the scheme is targetted at MUSLIM women - the section of the British Asian community least likely to learn English, and in a surprisingly large number of cases even leave their homes, let alone go to work. This Angling scheme will be a way of getting these "shy" ladies (shy often on account of pressures exerted upon them by their traditionally minded menfolk) to get out of the house, see something of the world other than a kitchen stove, and much MUCH more. The project, to my mind, stands a very fair chance of changing attitudes and creating new social outlooks and expectations.

Also, when I read the Times piece above just now, I saw the name of the woman who will be running the scheme -- Nica Prichard. I know her from twenty years ago - sat on the same angling club committee as she; fished with her a few times (she's GOOD - she'll leave most of the flyfishing males reading this now FOR DEAD, no joking); she is also EXCELLENT with people, too... If anyone can get through to the Muslim ladies of Swansea and their children (remember what the Jesuits used to say about children, and how if "got" early enough they were got for life), Nica Prichard will.

Forget the standard, kneejerk, PC namecalling, for once, I say, and give this project a chance.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

"According to the agency fishing boosts self-esteem and wellbeing. It adds that the sport can also prevent anti-social behaviour and help tackle underachievement and youth crime."

Where do you think the government got this data Paul?

Answer ;Les Webber

To me it is simple, put the money into a well run and already successful project, instead of gambling it on a non runner just because it looks politically correct... teach the kids ...the rest will follow .

"According to the agency fishing boosts self-esteem and wellbeing. It adds that the sport can also prevent anti-social behaviour and help tackle underachievement and youth crime."

Where do you think the government got this data Paul?

Answer ;Les Webber

To me it is simple, put the money into a well run and already successful project, instead of gambling it on a non runner just because it looks politically correct... teach the kids ...the rest will follow .

It's horses for courses, I believe, Bob. Les does a great job here in the South (I live just a few miles away from his HQ), but for Swansea's Muslim ladies a woman of a "certain age" (not too young like so many a social services project leader), possessing great social and diplomatic skills in addition to top-flight practical flycasting (she's GOOD) and angling ability, was needed - in short, Mrs Prichard. None better - end of story.

Yes, I would like to see Les given more backing. I'll mail a few people!

Edited by Paul Boote