barbel in ponds

butiaboy

hi everybody i have found an online fishshop that sells barbel and am thinking of adding 2/3 fish to my pond has anybody else tried them in a backyard fish pond ?

barbel

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Torpedo-shaped like a gudgeon, barbel are long, muscular fish with large triangular pectoral fins that have the power to cope with periods of high flow

The above taken from the description given in the link you posted. High flows of water not very likely in a pond. The native barbel which the fish advertised are not, require high oxygen levels. Which I doubt a pond could sustain when tempertures are high without additional oxygenation. Barbel are bottom dwellers so would you be able to see them?

As an angler and a river angler I hate the thought of any barbel in still waters.

I've seen a range of inappropriate fish including barbel and trout for sale at a local garden centre. You could engineer a koi pond with some suitable habitat to keep small barbel. Anything less would be unsuitable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Barbel could be kept in a decent sized pool, look at the poplars lake in the link from my local fishery. It holds many fish and is about .3 of an acre. It holds barbel, chub, roach, carp, tench and alot of gudegon.

http://www.hamptonsprings.co.uk/info.htm

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna