Question for the kent fishermen

bluerinse

At very short notice my brother (who lives in London) and myself have decided to take a 4 day fishing trip, we have chosen Kent, we want to fly fish, course fish and sea fish, I will be driving down to London at 10am Tomorrow to pick up my brother and then on to Kent, we will be throwing a tent in the car with no fixed plans.

Any suggestions are welcomed, either for campsites or fishing venues, (must be day ticket waters I guess) really fancy some good shore or rock fishing (or piers, breakwater etc), some fly on a river or if not on a lake and any decent wild course fishing.

Cheers Richard

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Cottington Lakes, Sholden near Deal, has on site, camping google them for details. They have coarse fishing available on site but don't do Trout Fishing, anymore but the sea fishing around Deal is pretty good.

There are other lakes with camping facilities for caravans but I am not sure about tents.

Chris Drew at Chequertree Lakes near Bethersden has Chalets to let on site and also has coarse and fly fishing available and it is only a short drive from there down to Dungie

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The Camping and Caravaning club have a campsite just above the beach at the Warren in Folkestone.

On the right day (calm seas) there can be some good bass, gar and mackerel fishing off the apron below the campsite, and along the cliffs to the rockier areas.

Or you could try off Folkestone Pier or Rotunda Beach.

Samphire Hoe is just down the road, and the Royal Military Canal and the Rother aren't too far away.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks guys just off I will let you know how I get on

The Camping and Caravaning club have a campsite just above the beach at the Warren in Folkestone.

On the right day (calm seas) there can be some good bass, gar and mackerel fishing off the apron below the campsite, and along the cliffs to the rockier areas.

Or you could try off Folkestone Pier or Rotunda Beach.

Samphire Hoe is just down the road, and the Royal Military Canal and the Rother aren't too far away.

its a great site but mind you dont mistake little switzerland for it its a hefty walk from there (the sea that is) its the next turning on the left after little s ;)

there was bass caught when i was down! from the ex slipway (now covered in foreign rocks) the apron itself was producing nothing ,i didnt fish by the time i had done my duty with the inlaws the weather broke (as you can see in a pic i posted on another topic) i dont enjoy getting wet feet so my rods went unsheathed :schmoll:

i havn't course fished there since i left folkestone in the 70's the sandgate end (from hythe town bridge to the outfall) was always good on the canal ,the rother at iden lock very good with chances of sea trout and best of all was the tiny pond in manor park which was free then but i believe now day ticket ,if it is as good as it was in the early 70's you will have a good day ,dont be put off by its appearence :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well we had a change of plan and ended up in Dorset at a small town called west Bay.

We camped on a site next to a small river that ran into the sea, the river had trout and sea trout as well as mullet both thin and thick lipped.

Well what can I say; we fly fished the river and caught one brown trout and 2 sea trout. We also course fished the river with rag worm and had 8 nice thin lipped mullet. This as done during the low tide in the sea, the river level remained high due to sluice gates, it was ideal as our tent was right next to the river.

The best though was the sea fishing; we fished the harbour at 05:30 on the first morning and caught 50+ mackerel. The same evening we fished the high tide and caught 30+ mackerel and 30+ Pollock, both times we used floating gear.

We then fished the beach the following morning high tide and caught a dog fish. On the evening high tide we caught 2 bass 3lb and 2.5lb, 2 dabs, 1 tub gurnard about 1.5lb, a lot of bib and a weaver fish.

We fished the harbour the following morning and caught a lot of small dabs and eels and we had 3 dog fish, we fished with pulley rigs on the bottom.

That evening we were going to fish the beach but the wind was up and the seas were very heavy, so we set out for the harbour again, we had fished about an hour and had caught 1 small bass (and I mean small about 5 oz) the waves were bashing over he harbour and we were getting very wet, my brother decided he needed the loo so shot back to the camp site, were he found our tent blow to bits, needless to say the fishing ended, we spent 2 hours packing all our wet gear up and left early and drove through the night home. A sad end to a great trip.

I can't wait for the next one, it was really nice to do some sea fishing and bit of fly fishing and course fishing for mullet, I highly recommend the area, the camp site though is only open July and August. You can have a fire as well, the facilities are basic but it was a top location, found by luck.

Maybe Kent next time! :)