Sounder boxes

marmiteboy

I have always needed a sounder box, the alarms going off make me stir but really you need a sounder next to your lug'ole to let you know its you that needs to get up sharpish. Although if your bivvy is about 1 meter away then they will wake you up.

I suppose this will go down like a lead fart but....

I cant believe what Im reading! when out carping all night you realy need to become "tuned in" to what you are doing,the slightest blip from your alarms should see your heart racing! Before alarms we used to use tin foil cylinders on rusty welding rods as indicators.you soon get "tuned in" to the noise they used to make!

Loose this mindset of "going to sleep for the night" your meant to be fishing! Even after all these years I still only "cat knap" during periods im expecting action,the slightest noise on the alarm being enough to alert me.And on that point you need to make sure the only time your alarm does make a noise is when you have a take,other wise you get complacent and start to ignore the alarm.

When night fishing I use two sleeping bags,one heavy one light.Depending on the temperature I use one as a mattress on the bed chair and the other opened up as a quilt.This is just laid over me so I can get to my rod ASAP.I also either wear some light weight foot wear to doze in or just hit my run bare foot.All this messing around putting your boots on aint for me.

If fishing against snags then I dont think people should sleep full stop.

As for this sleeping in a bivvy or back of the van 20m or so away whats all that about?

Multi rod/bite alarm tactics are often acussed of being "trapping" not fishing and this sort of thing only strengthens that veiw.

If you cant get in to your night fishing enough to be alerted to the slightest blip from your alarm then give it a miss and just fish during the day....providing you can stay awake long enough then that is.........

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Loose this mindset of "going to sleep for the night" your meant to be fishing!

although i am not medically trained in anyway unless you wish to stand over your rods all night like some kind of mental you're body will fall a sleep whether your a butch 10 men or not, it has nothing to do with a "mindset", its got more to do with it being quiet and dark at a wild guess.

In the past i have forgot to turn my alarms on and the sound of my baitrunners gently clicking got me up and at'em, however isn't it best to have something loud next to you, something you can not fail to recognise as your noise that you should attend to?

As for fishing 20M away, well it is something i have never encountered i must be honest, i get as near as i can.

I am buying some new bite alarms and want to know if bite alarms wake u up when there used on there own without a sounder box. SO DO BITE ALARMS WAKE YOU UP

My alarms will wake me.......And everyone else!

So I use a remote with my alarms turned down (off) so as not to wake the who lake!

gotta agree with budgie again on this (sorry chap) when i'm doing a nite i never really sleep like you say jus cat nap but a single bleep an i'll be hoverin over the rod in seconds...i hate seein bivys zipped up as this means more time to get to the rod....i always use a brolly an never have my bag zipped up jus a bag and a bag cover does the job!!!! doing this you can be out in seconds!!!! but yes i admit i use a remote!!!!!! but only on busy waters wher i don't want any one around me knowing i'm getting action....so buzzers off an remote on lowest setting hung from a rib in brolly....helps keep the swim poachers at bay!!!!

All very well saying you shouldn't sleep, but some people do get tired and fall asleep...sometimes quite a deep sleep....a remote box by your side/ear will wake you up.

Better than sleeping through a run.

Marmite, get some sounder box's or a loud remote..

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I am buying some new bite alarms and want to know if bite alarms wake u up when there used on there own without a sounder box. SO DO BITE ALARMS WAKE YOU UP

I used to on occasion struggle with hearing my buzzers going off at night (even with extension boxes) until 6 years ago when i bought a second hand set of delkims with the blue l.e.d's now i find the brighness of the l.e.d wakes me and not the sound (i always have the volume really low down now) also maybe worth thinking about the tone of your buzzers as its not always the volume but the tone that wakes you i personally cannot stand high pitched so my delks are set to a high pitch and that sure gets me moving.

Maybe its worth going to your local tackle shop and having a play with some different types of buzzers and seeing which ones have a pitch/tone that even on a low volume irritate you then make your choice and if its some of the more expensive ones look to maybe getting a set of second hand ones off ebay perhaps, i paid about 20 quid a piece for my set of delkims and they havent even let me down once no matter what the weather

I'm like budgie I'm afraid and agree no matter how long a session, you should always be able to hear your buzzers. The only time I didn't I'd forgot to switch the alarm on - I did hear the clutch clicking but I think the fish had been on for a while. I tend to take a snooze in the day if I feel tired. If you do sleep deep then yes a sounder is a good idea. It's also good to stop disturbing the whole lake if you have to be a little way back from your rods - I try and be as close as possible and I've even had the rod butts inside the bivvy before now.

Rob.