How much do you pay for your maggots?

SPSwallow

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
My local charges £3 a pint and they usual smell a bit whiffy with a few dead streched ones in every time I get them. Just trying to find out the norm

I get mine from my local tackle shop Wigan Anglers for £2.20 a pint and there superb, big crumpers, fresh and riddled clean ready for drowning.

While we are on the subject of maggots does anyone know the sawdust thats used to stop these little guys from sweating?

Can it be bought somewhere?

I was in Fishing Republic in Scunthorpe a few weeks back and they were doing them at a pound a pint! Strangly half a pint was £1.20

I get mine from my local tackle shop Wigan Anglers for £2.20 a pint and there superb, big crumpers, fresh and riddled clean ready for drowning.

same here. wigan.

While we are on the subject of maggots does anyone know the sawdust thats used to stop these little guys from sweating?

Can it be bought somewhere?

As far as I know it's not sawdust it's bran.

They use bran,maize meal and sawdust.But the best to stop them sweating (what its used for) is bran.You can buy it dead cheap at most pet food stores.

Maize meal can help soften them up as well and if you wish to really toughen some up pop them in some marble dust (avaiable from tile shops).

The worst thing I ever see anglers put in their maggots is flour or crumb groundbait..

Best shops to get good quality maggots from are normally match orientated ones.Here the owners actually bother to clean the maggots regularly! All tackle shops did this in the pre carp days but these days selling maggots seems to just be an inconvenience to them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

£2.20 a pint at Padiham Angling Centre. Always plump and fresh and riddled every day, with a good helping of maize.

He won't sell them if they're past their best, so I regularly get free maggots to use as loose feed...

If I can't get to the shop before it closes, Steve will meet me in the pub to deliver them! What more could you ask for? Freshly riddled maggots and a pint of Guinness...

Janet