How much do you pay for your maggots?

SPSwallow

My local charges £3 a pint and they usual smell a bit whiffy with a few dead streched ones in every time I get them.

£2.40 per pint here. Quite good quality, with that little black blob visible, wriggling well - fresh on Thursday afternoons.

After that the quality deteriorates until the following Thursday morning, by which time they are less lively and "a bit whiffy" etc, but the price stays the same.

I buy on Thursday afternoons, and keep mine in the fridge, and they retain their freshness over a week better than the tackle shop ones do.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£2.20 a pint at Padiham Angling Centre. Always plump and fresh and riddled every day, with a good helping of maize.

He won't sell them if they're past their best, so I regularly get free maggots to use as loose feed...

If I can't get to the shop before it closes, Steve will meet me in the pub to deliver them! What more could you ask for? Freshly riddled maggots and a pint of Guinness...

Janet

OI OI,

You got it made girl. :D

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Guest tigger
I buy on Thursday afternoons, and keep mine in the fridge, and they retain their freshness over a week better than the tackle shop ones do.

My local keep them in a fridge so there at thir best all week. I put them in my own fridge inbetween fishing sessions and they last a good three weeks.

Can't buy them locally so £5.25 a pint mail order (including excellent packing and postage) Always excellent from Worms Direct. (Their worms are good too)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

£2.20 a pint at Padiham Angling Centre. Always plump and fresh and riddled every day, with a good helping of maize.

He won't sell them if they're past their best, so I regularly get free maggots to use as loose feed...

If I can't get to the shop before it closes, Steve will meet me in the pub to deliver them! What more could you ask for? Freshly riddled maggots and a pint of Guinness...

Janet

Thats good service. You must have known them for years

Guest old wrinkley
My local charges £3 a pint and they usual smell a bit whiffy with a few dead streched ones in every time I get them. Just trying to find out the norm

The local shop charges £2.75 a pint and they are C**P.

So I travel 3 miles to another shop where they are £2.50 a pint and are excellent quality. I had some left over kept them in the fridge for 2 weeks and they were still good. So it pays to shop around a bit.

When I buy some I wash them in cold water drain them off put them in a small bucket, add a handful of home made bread crumb tip them out into a bait box and some fresh crumb and they seem to do OK. :D

My local charges £3 a pint and they usual smell a bit whiffy with a few dead streched ones in every time I get them. Just trying to find out the norm

Try and find out when they have there delivery and try and not buy any just before they have it and go in after and get the fresh ones

David :clap: :clap: :clap:

One of the problems now is that carpers have cottened on to maggots as bait, and buy them by the gallon! A couple of times I've been to my local tackle shop and they've just been cleaned out of all their red maggots by anglers on their way to Linear.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music