Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

What is the Australian perch's natural predator dogfish? also how long does it take for a perch in Australia to grow to be 2 kg or more?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the Australian perch's natural predator dogfish? also how long does it take for a perch in Australia to grow to be 2 kg or more?

I really don't know.

In the rivers I am talking about it is probably Man and Birds.

In bigger rivers (such as the Murray) it will be Murray cod, Yellow bellies (Callop) and various other predatory fish.

I am no expert as I am still in the UK and will not be moving out there for a while (my son lives in Adelaide).

I am simply playing Devil's advocate.

The reality is that Perch do very well in Australia despite being considered a 'noxious' fish and usually killed (same as Carp) when caught. They are also considered a fine eating fish.

I don't know how long they take to reach a large size but suspect it is quicker than here. They probably have few natural competitors for the food supply (in some rivers) so have an advantage.

Australian rivers are full of 'Yabbies' (crayfish) and small fish.

This is not so far fetched as the current growth of Barbel is often attributed to the lack of competition for food by silver fish on UK rivers.

Food for thought (sorry for pun) in my opinion.

"....catch and release is based on sound conservation reasons,..."

Yes Bob, but not even remotely in the context you're using the word. We catch-and-release purely to conserve our good fishing, not to conserve the fish. If you want unadulterated fish conservation then stop fishing. It's every bit as simple as that.

I'm surprised that a match angler who's happy to use the widely considered 'unconservational' tool the 'keepnet' has so much to say about fish conservation. Plenty of anglers, not myself I hasten to add, think that keepnets and competition fishing should be banned, because theyare not as conservationally sound as specimen fishing and non retention. So where does it end? Well that's easy to answer in your case isn't it? It ends where it suits you.

If I couldn't take away a fish for the table where appropriate, even though I never do, then I'd stop fishing immediately. I can't think of a more pious, self-serving or downright damaging viewpoint to level at your fellow anglers.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

So how many of you would kill a decent sized palatable fish infront of a bailiff or another angler unknown to you?

Probably about the same amount that would welcome seeing there Sunday joint of Brisket taken from a cow that is killed in public I guess? If you've got any degree of compassion, then you don't relish seeing anything killed, even though it may be for your consumption, so why would anyone want to make a public show of killing a fish they intended for the pot? It's nothing to do with shame, it's about sensibility. If you're going to take a fish for the pot, then it makes sense to despatch it discretely.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Guest NickInTheNorth

"So how many of you would kill a decent sized palatable fish infront of a bailiff or another angler unknown to you?"

provided the rules allowed it I would be quite happy to do so. I am not ashamed of killing and eating fish.

Bob, you want all the UK to be judged the same, but don't then want UK and Australia to be judged the same. Surely every water needs to be judged on its own merits?

Pike are one of the most highly prized edible fish in France. Called 'Brochet' I think.

As Fred J Taylor once said..."we must always reserve the right to eat one" (or words to that effect). In essence he was saying that that gave us a moral reason to fish.

Certainly ARE!! I am moving as most of you know to France in the next couple of months. And pike/Zander/Catfish are it would appear about the only thing fished for around my area!! The local DiY store in Chateaubriant has in fact got a tank STUFFED with livebaits! Small bleak and roach and at 30 cents a chuck soon go!

I myself as in another question have eaten Rabbit, Squirrel, Roe, Hare and chicken and apart from texture and actual taste they all taste like meat to me!! And Perch is the ONLY fish I have ever eaten that has been out of water for more than 24 hours and enjoyed!!

I LOVE Mackerel, but would not even consider it if it was out of the water more than about an hour!! If it is out the water in the pan it is the finest tasting fish you will ever eat!! Unless of course YOU know different!!

But eating fish?? NO PROBLEM!! Just know when to stop is all!! :) And just because a Baillif is watching would CERTAINLYnot stop me I am happy to say. if you disagree with this course of action then do not try it!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))