Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

I was going to ask why grayling tend to go belly-up, thanks for clearing that up Leon :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I like Perch, I like fishing for Perch and sometimes I even eat the odd Perch. Would someone care to explain to me, what the problem is, without resorting to abuse? I can be pretty colourful myself so let's not start down that path.

A simple 'why' would suffice."

You really want to shut up now and again...14 pages and you've learned very little, other than to keep my your opinions to yourself....lol

Funny how no-one is jumping on the thread below, considering how conservation-minded some of you are. Where's the Perch Police when you need them??

Click HERE for advice on Perch fishing, on the run up to breeding time no less.

Sorry, am I stirring things up?... :headhurt:

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy, I don't coarse fish during the old 'close season' but it's legal now on still waters, so I'll defend the right to do so. ;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

i fish a lake that no one else fishes. I have never seen a cormorant or goosander on it, though are plenty on the river nearbye, the perches only prey are other perch, their main predators are other perch.

in the 2 years i've fished it i've taken one perch to eat.

i have caught in excess of 200 perch over 4oz in one afternoon.

the largest perch i've seen would have been just over 2lb.

the fish i took was about 3/4 of a pound, a reasonably common size.

i don't see why it's an issue.

were the locals to take on the water they would immediatly net it, kill the perch, and stock it with trout, that's the only kind of fishing anyone does round here.

my hobby is keeping a vibrant water alive without any material harm, i cannot see why my actions should be viewed as abhorant.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Andy, I don't coarse fish during the old 'close season' but it's legal now on still waters, so I'll defend the right to do so. ;)

Very funny. Actually, I would defend your right to fish for them. I just find it amazing that nobody replied to that thread I highlighted (Close season perch in Yorkshire), suggesting that it may or may not be harmful to fish for Perch at this time of year, especially since there's been 14 pages of opinion on this thread, regarding the consumption of Perch. Fish conservation is pretty high on the list of arguments on this thread but apparently, it's fine and dandy to fish for them, when they are about to spawn. Spawning is the reason behind the close season, is it not?

It seems to me that the Close season perch in Yorkshire thread would have gone by, without anyone saying a single thing about it. If folk are going to use conservation as an argument against eating coarse species, they should at least show a bit of venom and defend that argument everywhere.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

But I suspect Andy that the "conservationists" probably fish during this time period too!

I suspect as much too Nick. Funny that huh?... :rolleyes:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I was only concerned with the legallity and rights of anglers to eat fish, not the ethics of angling, that would take up more than 14 pages :)

While I'm here, I seem to remember something about legally retaining fish, in anything other than a regulation keep net or keep sack. I've tried to google it but can't find any information. I wonder if Leon or any other sage on here could find it. It might just be my old mind playing tricks again, but I'm sure there was some rule about it.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I was only concerned with the legallity and rights of anglers to eat fish, not the ethics of angling, that would take up more than 14 pages :)

That was my concern too. I wish I hadn't bothered. The whole thread reeks of hypocrisy.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...