Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

I have voted in the poll.but could not resist reading this thread when I saw how many pages it consisited off,interesting reading.I would just like to congratulate you all for conducting this discussion in such an amicable way ...... :sun::sun::sun::sun: (expected to see blood and gore on every page :headhurt:

PS are you going for the record ......longest thread?

Sorry to havebutted in

Judith

Judith, as an angler and member of AN, your input is more than welcome. Don't worry we would have called if your medical expertise had been needed :) . It is good though to see so many discussing a thread without resorting to too much abuse. (ain't you proud of us, Mods? :D )

Glad to see you voted, which ever side you agree with. :thumbs:

PS.... that's anotherone towards the record

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judith, as an angler and member of AN, your input is more than welcome. Don't worry we would have called if your medical expertise had been needed :) . It is good though to see so many discussing a thread without resorting to too much abuse. (ain't you proud of us, Mods? :D )

Glad to see you voted, which ever side you agree with. :thumbs:

PS.... that's anotherone towards the record

I must admit I'm surprised that the topic has been allowed to continue to the number of pages that it has. I thought the policy on AN was to pull the plug on a thread, regardless of the amicable nature of it's content, after six pages, come what may? It's a practise I've found both infuriating and unfathomable in the past in equal measure.

Regardless of the individual's personal position, it's abundantly apparent that the issue is an extremely evocative one. Surely that's the most positive benefit of the oft maligned internet forum, the opportunity to grind out the wrongs and rights of an issue amongst ourselves?

I've enjoyed it myself, and it's made me think long and hard about my own position on the subject.

Good call Andy! ;)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Guest rabbit
I must admit I'm surprised that the topic has been allowed to continue to the number of pages that it has. I thought the policy on AN was to pull the plug on a thread, regardless of the amicable nature of it's content, after six pages, come what may? It's a practise I've found both infuriating and unfathomable in the past in equal measure.

Regardless of the individual's personal position, it's abundantly apparent that the issue is an extremely evocative one. Surely that's the most positive benefit of the oft maligned internet forum, the opportunity to grind out the wrongs and rights of an issue amongst ourselves?

I've enjoyed it myself, and it's made me think long and hard about my own position on the subject.

Good call Andy! ;)

I will echo all of that especially the point you make with regard to the thread being pulled after 6 pages. Proof then Mods that any differences can be sorted out between each other without undue inteference.

What does mystify me a lot is that so few members contributed to such a lot, considering it was such a volatile subject. Perhaps other matters are more important to them you know sort of giggly girly things :lol:

That was on the old server, the new one has far more space :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Sorry had to answer this one! Immature? in what way? I just think that the general angling population in the UK would be very interested in the topic, and amazed at the direction inwhich it has gone!

It has been an interesting topic and mostly fairly friendly!

Sorry I had to answer it as well Sam, your post had a most definate foot stamping feel to it, coupled with the mental image of someone running to the teacher to tell on the other kids.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

You can only tell the feel of what someone is saying by their tone.

I genually think the mail may print my letter as its a on going problem around the country with barble being wiped out completly from the Coppermill Stream in Walthamstow buy people taking them home for the pot.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

You can only tell the feel of what someone is saying by their tone.

I genually think the mail may print my letter as its a on going problem around the country with barble being wiped out completly from the Coppermill Stream in Walthamstow buy people taking them home for the pot.

I don't know a great deal about the Coppermill stream situation, only what I've heard on AN. But I find it impossible to believe that a species can be "wiped out completely" by legal angling methods.

All the way through this thread it has been stated that, fish would only be taken from waters that can stand it.

If AM do print your letter Sam, please let me know, it will be a change to see something interesting in it.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I consumed a delicious Barbus barbus down by the Thames today. Picture of it here

Hope you left some for others to enjoy Steve ;)