Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Hi downunderer and welcome.

My part of the world does not see anything like the angling pressure the UK has but even here, fish do wise up when they have been caught a time or two - at least the preds that are sought for sport.

Carp are almost not fished for here on purpose so I can't be sure but I'm guessing they wise up as well.

If you ignore the oldtimers sniping at each other, this is a friendly forum and we hope to see more of you.

If I was living in Oz, Newt, I would not only be exterminating every last non-indigenous carp, perch, tench, roach etc (and barbi-ing them), but also probably using (and giving) my chainsaw (willingly)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4953668.stm

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes hello to you Downunderer. As Newt says welcome to AN.There are a couple of other lads who post regularly from Oz.I for one am all ways interested in hearing how its done else where.Look forward to reading your posts.Any of the angling terminology you dont understand just ask.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If I was living in Oz, Newt, I would not only be exterminating every last non-indigenous carp, perch, tench, roach etc (and barbi-ing them)

Never heard of anyone eating tench, or roach in Australia, a few have eaten cra....er carp and quite a few eat redfin. There has been a great deal of gum bashing regards eradicating cra....er carp but not much discussion re the tench, or the roach. But not much has actually been done, except the odd fishing club and their carp busting annual comps.

As 85% of Australians live near the sea, there is NO comparison between saltwater fish and freshies.

G'day to Downunderer. Mate, living in South Aus, you should be a little miffed at the small number of fresh water fisheries....The Torrens and a few feeder streams in the Adelaide Hills seem to be the extent of it. ;);)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the welcome.

We don't have a great deal of freshwater fishing available here, although there are plenty of man made lakes around adelaide that all produce large carp and perch.

We also have the torrens as mentioned as well as the onkaparinga river and the murray river.

If you make the effort there are quite a few options available.

Carp in OZ - a couple of questions.

The US has carp in almost every water I can think of. Very rare to find a lake or river that doesn't. However, while I do read of areas where they are a real problem, most of the reports finally boil down to a water that has major problems and carp, since they are able to survive bad conditions, get the blame for the water quality even though they were not the original cause.

The places I've lived and fished, carpers are rare unless a bunch of us have some sort of event. In fact, about the only other folks I ever see on the water who are targeting carp are doing so with bow & arrow. Not a problem to me since it is a legal method of taking them (classed as 'trash' or 'rough' fish) and since they don't make much of a dent in the population.

How about the situation in OZ? Are carp the cause of major problems or do they simply manage to survive when other fish don't?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Carp in OZ - a couple of questions.

The US has carp in almost every water I can think of. Very rare to find a lake or river that doesn't. However, while I do read of areas where they are a real problem, most of the reports finally boil down to a water that has major problems and carp, since they are able to survive bad conditions, get the blame for the water quality even though they were not the original cause.

The places I've lived and fished, carpers are rare unless a bunch of us have some sort of event. In fact, about the only other folks I ever see on the water who are targeting carp are doing so with bow & arrow. Not a problem to me since it is a legal method of taking them (classed as 'trash' or 'rough' fish) and since they don't make much of a dent in the population.

How about the situation in OZ? Are carp the cause of major problems or do they simply manage to survive when other fish don't?

G'day Newt, the cra....carp in Australia are mainly in the Murray/Darling catchment ( 408,000 sq miles) from Victoria to southern Qld. While there are sections that are relatively free of crap, there are, also, some places where there is significant damage, generally the slower flowing streams.

They have a propensity to "sludge" about in undercut banks, which, in turn, erode further, causing sedimintation. And, for the slower moving waterways, this causes plant life to die.

Mister crap has a very bad reputation on SE Australia and it is illegal in some states to return them to the water after capture.

Unfortunately, Australia's wildlife, animal, and vegetable, grew up and flourished in a completely unique atmosphere, until the arrival of the white man.....

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Yup. I can imagine waters that would be damaged by the rooting activities of ole sister carp. Too much murk and weeds die causing more problems.

FWIW, carp are not native to North America either. Ours were imported and aggressively distributed by our government in the 1800s as a food source. Most of them were from a single German strain of common carp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

At the request of one of my fellow posters, I've started a thread on the subject of eating fish.

"I like Perch, I like fishing for Perch and sometimes I even eat the odd Perch. Would someone care to explain to me, what the problem is, without resorting to abuse? I can be pretty colourful myself so let's not start down that path.

A simple 'why' would suffice."

Having lived and fisdhed in Sweden for many years,I discovered the fine taste of fried Perch and oven baked Pike,both of which are delicious.

With Perch,first de-scale them and if large enough fillet them,then salt and pepper to taste and just fry them gently in butter,clipping a little chives all over them in the pan.

Prepare the Pike by washing well,drying with kitchen roll,then rub salt in well both inside and out,pepper to taste,add a good knob of butter and a couple of bay leaves,wrap in foil and bake well.Delicious!.

I've eaten freshwater fish from Lake District waters and Scottish lochs. In these places, where the water is clean enough to consider eating the fish, coarse fish are simply not valued. In fact they are often regarded as vermin. The Freshwater Biological Association netted and trapped perch and pike in Windermere by the thousands for decades without seriously affecting their numbers, so anglers taking the odd one for the pan are unlikely to do much to stocks in this type of water.

Having lived and fisdhed in Sweden for many years,I discovered the fine taste of fried Perch and oven baked Pike,both of which are delicious.

With Perch,first de-scale them and if large enough fillet them,then salt and pepper to taste and just fry them gently in butter,clipping a little chives all over them in the pan.

Prepare the Pike by washing well,drying with kitchen roll,then rub salt in well both inside and out,pepper to taste,add a good knob of butter and a couple of bay leaves,wrap in foil and bake well.Delicious!.

Blimey, is this still running? Must be a record!

Strange to think that a thread started because someone objected to the eating of freshwater fish, and is now giving recipes on how best to cook them. :lol:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John