Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Blimey, is this still running? Must be a record!

Strange to think that a thread started because someone objected to the eating of freshwater fish, and is now giving recipes on how best to cook them. :lol:

Give my a ping if you need any more recipe's. :)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went fly fishing on a lovely little stream near me a couple of evenings last week. On the second evening i caught 3 brownies on a dry sedge, 2 little wildies and one stocked fish (stocked further upstream by a fly fishing club) of about 1 1/2lb. The club rules state that I can kill and keep up to 4 trout per week as long as they're at least 14" in length. This one was, and I'm sure it would have been delicious, but I happier to slip it back and watch it glide off over the gravel.

However, I still want the right to take one, the same as with some coarse fish, even though I may never exercise that right.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

had some lovely wild brown river trout on sunday, largest was 14oz, delicious.

On a spinner, I hope. Far more artless, so much more damaging, so much more likely to hasten the restocking of waters with vile-tasting fake trout, I find...

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Blimey, is this still running? Must be a record!

I'm just saving strength for my next controversial 'can of worms' type question. This one nearly killed me.... :unsure:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

G'day Newt, the cra....carp in Australia are mainly in the Murray/Darling catchment ( 408,000 sq miles) from Victoria to southern Qld. While there are sections that are relatively free of crap, there are, also, some places where there is significant damage, generally the slower flowing streams.

They have a propensity to "sludge" about in undercut banks, which, in turn, erode further, causing sedimintation. And, for the slower moving waterways, this causes plant life to die.

Mister crap has a very bad reputation on SE Australia and it is illegal in some states to return them to the water after capture.

Unfortunately, Australia's wildlife, animal, and vegetable, grew up and flourished in a completely unique atmosphere, until the arrival of the white man.....

Firstly the Murray doesn't stop at victoria , it flows through South Australia .

Also I don't agree totally with blaming carp for the condition of the river, in my opinion it is more a problem created by bad irrigation and agricultural practices and increased boat activity causing erosion of the banks.

Australian native fish require regular floods to breed, as the river is now controlled by locks and weirs this can no longer happen.

The Freshwater Biological Association netted and trapped perch and pike in Windermere by the thousands for decades without seriously affecting their numbers

Did you know?

During the Second World war, Windermere 'perchines' (canned perch) were produced as a substitute for sardines.

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/windermere..._lake/page4.php

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I know I should just let this one die off but...

I went fly fishing again yesterday after work with the intention of keeping a trout for dinner. I caught 2 lovely brownies but they were both a bit too small to keep. So, even if you're set on keeping a fish for the pot, you still have to catch it, and it's not always that easy!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not a big fish eater myself, maybe the odd bit of cod or Haddock.

I was in France about 3 years ago with some pals touring on our motorbikes and one hotel we stayed at had Perch on the menu. Two of the lads ordered it and said that is was delicious !! Wish I had tried a bit.

I expect that the Perch are farmed and not straight out of the river/lake though, if the oppotunity arises again I will definately try it.

I have never ate Chub, but did once eat a piece of carpet and I have been told that the carpet would taste better. :P

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

I went fly fishing on a lovely little stream near me a couple of evenings last week. On the second evening i caught 3 brownies on a dry sedge, 2 little wildies and one stocked fish (stocked further upstream by a fly fishing club) of about 1 1/2lb. The club rules state that I can kill and keep up to 4 trout per week as long as they're at least 14" in length. This one was, and I'm sure it would have been delicious, but I happier to slip it back and watch it glide off over the gravel.

However, I still want the right to take one, the same as with some coarse fish, even though I may never exercise that right.

Probably the most sensible post on this forum.